SIP Table saw Stack Dado head cutter options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Alien

Reaction score
Hello learned friends and fellow wood ruiners!.. :wink:

I have a SIP Table saw that I'm advised by SIP does not take/accept a Stack Dado Head Cutter but, I want to use it to do some 10/12mm slots. If I have to do many runs to get to the slot width with many passes, I will but, just wondered if there was such a thing as a wide blade so that the number of passes can be reduced?

Hope the question isn't as daft as it reads and any advice greatly appreciated!

The Alien
(Newbie, be nice! :lol: )

the simple way is to just add multiple saw blades. Be careful of overloading the motor, go for some smaller dia blades for more torque.

I rekon that if you stack several blades with staggered teeth the way Wildman suggests only a little bit of slippage would break off and throw around quite a few carbide tips.

I sometimes take tvo juts with the tablesaw or a handheld cirkular saw and remove the wood between them with chisel and then smooth the bottom with a router plane.

10-12 mm will only require one chipper and two outer blades from a dado set and you might find it will fit your saw arbour. Makes sure that at least 3/4 of the threads of the retaining nut are engaged when tightening.
I also have a 4mm kerf FTG blade bought from cutting solutions which is useful for multiple cut nibbling.

On my dado stack the largest chippers are 1/8" so you'd need a bit more on the arbour than Bob suggests above if yours is the same. I know the rotation of the arbour should tighten the nut but the thought of having anything less than all of the threads engaged scares me - sorry if that makes me a wuss!

I bought a Freud dado set for my SIP 10" saw and while it's true that you can't use the whole stack, I had no difficulty with the two outer blades and a couple of the chippers. 10-12mm would be no problem.

I didn't ask SIP though so didn't know that I couldn't do it.

regards

Brian

OK.
Firstly apologies for my lack of responses to all the comments; reasons for this are two-fold, both of which relate to family illness, fortunately for me, not me but; they are on the mend now so all good in time for Crimbo!

So I can't see an option to respond to each individual comments so will try and respond summarily here if that's OK?

Wildman: Without spacers, I wouldn't simply bolt tipped blades together; too dangerous for equipment/user but thanks for the suggestion/your time
Monkeybiter: Not entirely sure that I'd see much of the blade above the Rip Sled so not sure 6" blades would cut it. (you see what I did there?.. ;-) )
Heimlaga: Appreciate the though but, as per above - non-runner but, thanks anyway
Steve Maskery: Not specifically other than 8' X 6" in my workshop lends itself to the table saw rather than the router
Myforman & Memzey: I will have a dig around ont' 'net and see what's out there, might be worth a gamble depending on cost
Brian: could you point me in the direction of your purchase, please?

Hope I haven't messed anybody and will hopefully be more acceptably responsive going forwards!

Many thanks thanks!

PS: any interest in a used once for 15 minutes 10" SIP Bandsaw?

The Alien":2l7i3lno said:
Brian: could you point me in the direction of your purchase, please?
I bought my set some years ago from a stall at an exhibition in Llandudno run by Taylors of Liverpool who I believe are no longer trading.
A quick Google search reveals they are not easily available from UK suppliers. I found this one on the UK Amazon site, being sold by Rippleton Tools UK. I don't know where they are based although the name suggests they are here in the UK, they must be shipping from over the pond at £51.99 for UK delivery!
An eBay search found some, all shipped from the US. Check here. Watch out for customs charges if you import a set.

I might be persuaded to part with mine if you are interested as I no longer own the 10" SIP, even though I have access to it (it is at our Men's Shed workshop). I think the bore size on mine is 16mm but I can't check at the moment as I think they are hiding in the garage somewhere. PM me if you are interested and I will dig them out and photograph them for you.

regards

Brian

Back