Thankyou

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to say a big thank's to all the nice comments from people and their advice regarding my exit from the site.

I have never been a somebody in life and I never wanted to make a name by an alias on a wood working forum.
My age and experience, I thought might have contributed to help new members, chat with same minded people, and contribute when i could.
And contribute is the word, not abuse, not belittle, not hide behind, but this has not worked out for me on this forum.
I hate bullies in a real life situation, because they can be prosecuted, but when bullies hid behind a mask on the web, you are unable to look at the person behind the mask.
They have no feeling, no constructive help, and post as if they hate the person who made the contribution to the site, me excluded.
Why, not just me?
Because I have had so many, PM, telling me about the same things they have experienced.
So, I suppose I have chickened out, I have been beaten,.....whatever the mooses and woodmen of the world have to say, they have won.
I am sad, because I have had so many people telling me not to leave and ignore the aggressive posts, yet the moderators of the site deem it necessary to keep these people enlisted.
What does this do to the young guys coming up, when faced with reading the sort of viewed comments.?
until the moderators of this site, do wake up to this problem, the site will decline, because people will just turn off.

Thanks again for all the well wishers.
#Dick

I hope this doesn't start another thread locker. I tried to help you in the beginning of your latest flutter Dick. But you proceeded to get angry and, if you like, gave in to what you call bullying. I personally don't think it was bullying. If we were standing in a pub and you'd walked out calling various people bullies in that situation, I'd have told you to your face that you where chucking your toys out of the pram. The same as I did in that thread. I truly believe you were wrong to get so upset. No one was throwing personal attacks at you. I've said much worse to Jacob (for good reason) without provocation. He'd be much more entitled to get upset. I guess I was surprised because you are not normally the sort to be backwards in coming forwards. So when someone treated you in the same way it was a shock to see you get upset and storm off in a hissy.

I hope you stick around and I do apologise if you thought I was being harsh with you. But I do recall you being harsh with me once or thrice.

S*** I would hate to think what Dick would do in real life if somebody critiqued him :shock:

Harry

Dick I seemed to have missed what happened to you and the reason you are leaving, and so all I can say is don't do it.

Cheers

Mike

harryc":2h024puo said:
S*** I would hate to think what Dick would do in real life if somebody critiqued him :shock:

Harry

Come on Harry mate don't make things worse. I have no idea why Dick wants to leave, but you can see that he is gutted. Your not telling me that at sometime in your life you have not felt that the world and his brother are against you.

Cheers

Mike

dicktimber":jlbabmoz said:
I would like to say a big thank's to all the nice comments from people and their advice regarding my exit from the site.

I have never been a somebody in life and I never wanted to make a name by an alias on a wood working forum.
My age and experience, I thought might have contributed to help new members, chat with same minded people, and contribute when i could.
And contribute is the word, not abuse, not belittle, not hide behind, but this has not worked out for me on this forum.
I hate bullies in a real life situation, because they can be prosecuted, but when bullies hid behind a mask on the web, you are unable to look at the person behind the mask.
They have no feeling, no constructive help, and post as if they hate the person who made the contribution to the site, me excluded.
Why, not just me?
Because I have had so many, PM, telling me about the same things they have experienced.
So, I suppose I have chickened out, I have been beaten,.....whatever the mooses and woodmen of the world have to say, they have won.
I am sad, because I have had so many people telling me not to leave and ignore the aggressive posts, yet the moderators of the site deem it necessary to keep these people enlisted.
What does this do to the young guys coming up, when faced with reading the sort of viewed comments.?
until the moderators of this site, do wake up to this problem, the site will decline, because people will just turn off.

Thanks again for all the well wishers.
#Dick

what i "like" about this is that dick has decided to single rob and I out as "bullies" because soley because rob dared to suggest that metal draw runners werent to his taste, and i came to robs defence when he was unfairly attacked for stating his opinion.

the moderators are right to ignore the "problem" because the problem doesnt exist outside out of dick's fevered imagination. - If you want to talk about helping out new or young members, perhaps you should talk to the numerous ones that i have advised, helped out, helped with transport, given heads ups too, provided with wood, lent kit to etc - and rob doubtless likewise (not to mention that it was rob and i who coordinated the two competitions last year, and rob who organised the ukw contribution to talking tools) are these the actions of people who have no feeling and no constructive help or contribution to the site ??

and if you want to talk about turning people off how about the political rants about "broken britain" (which are in direct contravention of the rules) - i'd be willing to bet that they turn more people away than constructive criticism of projects. Or come to that what about starting a thread like this one to reignite the subject that should have ended when chris closed the other thread.... thats really constructive behaviour

and finally if you want to talk about the acts of a bully - most bullys are cowards , and its hard to think of a more cowardly act than having a tantrum over something inconsequential , then naming a couple of members as being to blame for you leaving the site, while hiding behind the fact that you have left.

What I would say is if the (quite possibly fictional) members who have apparently pm'd dick because they have suffered at mine and robs hands are reading this , if we have done you wrong either sort it out man to man , or if you dont want to do that take it up with the mod team.

all that not withstanding i really dont see any reason for anyone to leave over a storm in a teacup difference of opinion - but equally if anyone is so over sensitive that they choose to do so i'm not going to plead with them to stay either

Mike.C":2wv2mpwi said:
harryc":2wv2mpwi said:

Harry

Come on Harry mate don't make things worse. I have no idea why Dick wants to leave, but you can see that he is gutted. Your not telling me that at sometime in your life you have not felt that the world and his brother are against you.

Cheers

Mike

basically mike dick has done to me and rob (woodbloke) , exactly what mike g did to you and argee - and for as little reason.

Fair points I think from BSM and Tom, I think the bullying claims are unfounded and this is a storm in a teacup. Certainly I've seen far more strength of feeling and expression of views in something like the sapwood/heartwood debate.

If you put this exchange in the context of a pub discussion then the comments and views exchanged are quite tame, what you don't get that you do in a pub is the body language, the facial expressions, the winks, the punches on the arm etc etc and we all just have to remember that. I see the same thing at work when people discuss things on email rather than by phone or face to face, you lose a lot in translation over the net

This is getting boring. Please don't leave over something this minor.

As far as bullying is concerned I have found this to be a really welcoming forum and, as an example of how a newbie is treated, BSM has been very generous in trying to help me sell a lathe. Thing is that he wanted it but I wanted too much cash. Did he bully me? No he pointed out to several other people that I had a lathe to sell.

If you want to know what online bullying is like I could show you a few interesting forums, one that comes to mind is cat-lovers. When they disagreed with something I said they reported me to the RSPCA!

Don't throw the towel in Dick.
I'm a newbie who has lurked for a while, wondering whether to post due to the anamosity that appears to have crept in lately, but leaving because you feel bullied only makes the bullies feel they have won.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

Shay

Let's be clear about this Shay, there was no bullying - and I hope you decide to stick around too. I had a theory about cabin fever with the long winter leading to folks spending too much time on here, now that it's warming up everyone is spending more time doing other things and we're all getting along better. Mostly :D

Shy tot":edeeseyj said:
but leaving because you feel bullied only makes the bullies feel they have won.

Ironballs":edeeseyj said:
Let's be clear about this Shay, there was no bullying

just so IB, as one of the alledged bullies , i feel quite strongly about this as i have never bullied anyone in my life and never would do (not least because bullies made my lil sisters life hell at school) If dick wasnt already leaving his totally unfounded accusation against me and woodbloke would now be the subject of a serious complaint to the mod team.

what we have here is simply a disagreement (about believe it or not the trivial matter of whether metal runners look good on furniture), and a massive overeaction by a member who is quite renowned for dishing out criticism ( not to mention political ranting) bur is seemingly unable to take it.

For what its worth tho dicks departure doesnt make me (nor i would imagine rob) feel that we've won anything, as an adult i'm not compelled to view every disagreement as a competition and therefore there is simply nothing to win

When stupid inconsequential stuff like this blows up out of all proportion, and people started quitting unecessarily, the whole ukw comunity loses.

you'll be lucky - when i was 12 and went up to big school , the school bully who was four years older was telling everyone they had to pay him a pound to use the toilet.

I told him that if he wanted it he'd have to take it - then punched him in the testicles, then in the face , then pushed him down the stairs ... ( mI got a reet good kicking when he came back the next week , but it was worth it, I ****ing hate bullies :D )

Latest posts

Back