Table Saw Alignment Startrite TA145

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungleJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, having a bit of trouble aligning my table saw to the miter slot. It's a startrite TA-145 and it's out by approx 8/1000 " does any one here have this saw and how did you go about aligning it. Everything is mounted to the underside of the cast iron table and there is pretty much zero adjustment due to two very tight pins that locate the table top on the saw spindle and motor assembly secured with 4 bolts. Once this is located its just a case of securing to the cabinet with bolts.

Here is the manual for this saw from altspares. page 14 shows the pins (No.41)
http://www.altsawsandspares.co.uk/TA 145 Handbook 17E WM.pdf

Now if I remove the locating pins this should give me a little wiggle room with the bolts that should hopefully allow me to align the blade, At the moment this is the only thing I can think of but thought I would check with you knowledgeable people in case I may be missing anything.

My assumption at the moment that this is how it has been since manufacture. It's just within their own tolerances.

Many thanks

James

About the only thing you can do is remove one pin and square it up and redrill that hole in a new location
I agree that startrite probably thought that 8 thou was ok

Ian

Have you checked if you've a level floor ?
On my recently acquired 275 saw I noticed the sliding table fence catch on the table top ,which was strange !
there seemed no adjustment for it ,The solution which later i figured it out was moving the machine back to the same position on the floor ...thankfully all was perfect again
Good luck

The Startrite 275 sliding fence bar can be adjusted in every direction, it's a very neat design and very easy to setup.

Before adjusting the table top, may I ask what it is you are doing that requires the mitre saw slit to be precisely 90 degrees to the blade?

Whilst I agree that getting the mitre slot exactly parallel to the blade would be nice for most operations 8 thou over 10" won't make a great deal of difference

Ian

Hi deema,
trying to get the mitre slot as near perfectly parallel to the blade as I can. at the moment the blade is slightly closer to the mitre slot at the back of the blade, so when I make a cut with the mitre gauge the back of the blade catches the work piece as it passes completely through the blade.

Out of curiosity, is the fence equally out of true to the blade?

The ripping fence on older saws used to be set to be a degree or two out of alignment with the fence to reduce the chance of kick back. I have a 275 and the fence to blade has this offset.

The blade can be moved over by adding a shim when bolting the blade assembly back into the cabinet.

Hi deema, It would make sense that the blade be a slightly further away from the fence at the back to reduce the risk of pinching and kickback and this can be achieved by adjusting the fence to the blade. I know I'm not going to get the blade perfectly parallel to the mitre slot, but when you push it all the way through the blade with the mitre and the teeth catch it, it feels too much.
thanks

Latest posts

Back