Sycamore Leaf: The Next Generation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Followers of the competition will be aware of my May entry the Sycamore leaf bowl.

I sought comment from here and friends etc, on how to make it better still.

It was suggested I try carving the detail on the leaf. Bearing in mind that the carving the leaf outlines was my first attempt at carving ... I thought in for a penny ....

I liked the pyro edge so it is making an appearance again.

So here is the next in my carving exploration, together with the original. If anyone has comments or observations or suggestions to offer please do as I am getting great satisfaction from these efforts and anything I can learn to move me along is welcome. I am never offended by criticism or suggestions.

So over to "class" - what do you think?

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

Hi Colin,

Prefer the original! Perhaps its the fine pyro lines that do it. As its a first its always hard to criticise but as a turner who nearly won last months competition I don't see why there should be ANY excuses at all :D

How did you do the carving?? By hand or one of those cheating gizmos. Whichever, I think it all needs to be a little more delicate. The outer shape is nice.

Good direction to be going in (or in which to be going even) Look forward to seeing how this develops.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a spigot on the bottom?

I like it and would have never guessed that was your first attempt at carving. Your first bowl although shown skill and creativeness wasn't to my taste. The carved leaf is.

gus3049":x5679oim said:
Hi Colin,

Prefer the original! Perhaps its the fine pyro lines that do it. As its a first its always hard to criticise but as a turner who nearly won last months competition I don't see why there should be ANY excuses at all :D

How did you do the carving?? By hand or one of those cheating gizmos. Whichever, I think it all needs to be a little more delicate. The outer shape is nice.

Good direction to be going in (or in which to be going even) Look forward to seeing how this develops.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a spigot on the bottom?

The carving is with a dremel type tool. I think I lack bits to get overly fine. I accept the "Delicacy" comment. In doing it I had two concerns. The honest one being not knowing how fine I could get. The second one was not knowing how visible the relief work would be and whether it would stand out.

It is indeed a spigot on the bottom. On this occasion I wanted the "lift" to give the "floating" look. I often leave a spigot albeit sometimes reduce it on smaller items to give the "floating" appearance.

Thanks for the feedback

Hudson Carpentry":2175p06v said:
I like it and would have never guessed that was your first attempt at carving. Your first bowl although shown skill and creativeness wasn't to my taste. The carved leaf is.

Thanks - pleased to cater for all tastes and not get yours wrong every time

Blister":12ut1alj said:
Very nice Colin

My only observations are that the veins are a bit on the thick side

Thanks for showing us :wink:

Thanks Allen

Seems to be a common theme evolving about the lack of delicacy. Without anything to gauge it by it is difficult on first attempt - the fear is of "overcooking" it and blowing it out. Now I have done this one I have learnt a lot in a short space of time (including what not to do). Definitely addictive.

As shelf space indoors runs out it is good to spend more time on each piece and move to better pieces that you spend more time working on.

Time to get some more bits!

I too prefer the original pyrographed bowl, and agree that the carved veins are a little on the heavy side for the size of the sycamore leaf - or to be more precise, there is not enough difference in thickness between the major veins and the side veins, which should be more delicate. However, I love the idea of a single sycamore leaf as a bowl, and as your first attempt at carving it's very good indeed.

I love this,I think that to make a leaf bowl such as that needs to be of this strenght.
I have seen some carving films on You tube by some of the tooling companys and they are much thicker
Perhaps its a different type of carving ??
What kind of machine do you use perhaps you could point me in the right direction
Love it. Eug

Hi Woodspoiler,

That's wonderful. I'm very impressed.

You could possibly still aim for a bit more "botanical realism" with the veins (several people have remarked that they are not as "delicate" as they could be) ... but that is a refinement that I'm sure you can work on.

I also sometimes leave a foot on a bowl when I want it to "lift" off the table, so that aspect of the design is not a problem for me at all.

For a first go, I think it's excellent.

Cheers
Steve

I forgot to mention the important bit!!!!! :(

Although I preferred the first one, I still thought this one is terrific :D

Sorry long post alert! reply to comments - Thanks one and all

tekno.mage":3tol0na0 said:
I too prefer the original pyrographed bowl, and agree that the carved veins are a little on the heavy side for the size of the sycamore leaf - or to be more precise, there is not enough difference in thickness between the major veins and the side veins, which should be more delicate. However, I love the idea of a single sycamore leaf as a bowl, and as your first attempt at carving it's very good indeed.

Thanks Kym - Duly noted on the refinement. More explorations to come I feel

Jonzjob":3tol0na0 said:
I like both of them, but I too would have liked to see the veining a bit more delicate. I have never been a fan of small bases on bowls, or anything really. They make it unstable.

You have tempted me into looking at things like that now!!

I am pleased to be tempting you, especially as I like a lot of what you do. The more that incorporate carving, the more shared experiences to learn and be motivated from.

boysie39":3tol0na0 said:
I love this,I think that to make a leaf bowl such as that needs to be of this strenght.
I have seen some carving films on You tube by some of the tooling companys and they are much thicker
Perhaps its a different type of carving ??
What kind of machine do you use perhaps you could point me in the right direction
Love it. Eug

Thanks for the comments pleased you like it. I have left a reply about the tool I use on your new thread

loz":3tol0na0 said:
Looks brilliant Colin,

I had a go at similar last year, got fed up though with all the carving, i dont have the patience !!!

link here = https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ivy-leaves-yew-t44514.html

Thanks Loz - did you finish your course - would be interested to hear of any good tips learnt

Steve Peacock":3tol0na0 said:
Hi Woodspoiler,

That's wonderful. I'm very impressed. You could possibly still aim for a bit more "botanical realism" with the veins (several people have remarked that they are not as "delicate" as they could be) ... but that is a refinement that I'm sure you can work on.

I also sometimes leave a foot on a bowl when I want it to "lift" off the table, so that aspect of the design is not a problem for me at all.For a first go, I think it's excellent.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the encouragement and support. I'm still blown away by the Andi Wolfe work you pointed me to, so meanwhile back at the ranch .... slightly more humble efforts.

gus3049":3tol0na0 said:
I forgot to mention the important bit!!!!! :(

Although I preferred the first one, I still thought this one is terrific :D

Well thats alright then ..... everything is right with the world - and the sun is shining!

Wood spoiler":3p9u7dqf said:
Well thats alright then ..... everything is right with the world - and the sun is shining!

Well its bucketing down here. At last. Veronica is a happy bunny because we don't have to abandon half the plants in order to save a few. Don't suppose it will last and the damn sun will come out again. Rats

Hi Colin,

Both of these bowls are excellent, they hint at a vastly improving technique, I find them of both equal beauty and value.

However, it would be great to see you explore this further and to witness your journey through each piece, they would indeed make a fantastic series.

If you are at all interested in exploring the finer points of carving (especially with high speed dental drills or other professional drill tools of this scale), then perhaps you may like to peruse the work of Jacques Vesery.

Can't wait for the next one in this series, nice one Colin.

Cheers,

Lee.

skeetoids":3cpx63t9 said:
Hi Colin,
Both of these bowls are excellent, they hint at a vastly improving technique, I find them of both equal beauty and value.
However, it would be great to see you explore this further and to witness your journey through each piece, they would indeed make a fantastic series.
If you are at all interested in exploring the finer points of carving (especially with high speed dental drills or other professional drill tools of this scale), then perhaps you may like to peruse the work of Jacques Vesery.
Can't wait for the next one in this series, nice one Colin.
Cheers,
Lee.
Thanks Lee, I think I'm hooked on this and you will be seeing more as I work through what i can do. To try and fail will also be instructive (but hopefully not to many "fails" :wink:)
Thanks for the inspirational link.
Good to hear from you as you have been a bit of a stranger of late. Trust you are ok and keeping your own odyssey going

Hi Colin,

Looking forward to the progress.

Don't want to divert your thread but life has been very stressful lateley.

Turned a couple of items in about 6 weeks but getting there slowly.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Colin a bit late in seeing this but I think you've made a cracking start here 8) As has been said the veins are a bit heavy and I would loose the spigot completely, just make a curved wooden leaf and let it find its own balance, that I feel would add 'realness' . I wasn't keen on the first bowl but doing it this way will be good. Keep it up and they should improve over time.

johnny.t.":gx70njfe said:
Hi Colin a bit late in seeing this but I think you've made a cracking start here 8) As has been said the veins are a bit heavy and I would loose the spigot completely, just make a curved wooden leaf and let it find its own balance, that I feel would add 'realness' . I wasn't keen on the first bowl but doing it this way will be good. Keep it up and they should improve over time.

Johnny

Thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement. Just plotting the next thrilling installment ....

Back