Stripping furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I went on a French polishing course donkies years ago and in my notes that I took have got a procedure for stripping. It was apply Paramose, scrape off then use gunwash with wire wool.

I am trying to work out if my notes are correct and if so what the purpose of the gun wash stage was.

Any ideas?

Apparently Gunwash is a solvent designed for the job of removing last vestiges of paint/varnish, after using a stripper.
Never tried it but expect it'll do the job!
Have used white spirit following Langlows stripper, which I expect is very similar to Paramose stripper.
Helps to rub it off with handfuls of planer shavings as they are slightly abrasive but also soak up the gunge and make it easy to clean up. Wire wool for further finishing.

I too have been on a French polishing course recently (at Peter Sefton's place) - the "gunwash" is "cellulose thinners" and is to neutralise the Paramose stripper after the paint/finish is removed and clean the substrate

BTW - Paramose is no longer legally available to "non-professionals" as it contains some especially nasty chemicals .... and is so strong it distorts the can if left part full for any length of time! I have been using Paint Panther stripper which is available for DIY and almost as good as Paramose (forget Nitromors - that's so weak nowadays you can almost drink it!!!! - but don't)

I have some notes - if you want a copy PM with an email addy and I'll send.

"gunwash" is "cellulose thinners"
That's essentially correct. It's a low quality cheap version whose purpose is primarily for cleaning spraying equipment, e.g., final cleaning by running some through the spray gun at the end of a job, or cleaning between applying one type of finish and then applying a different one, such as cleaning between applying dye followed by lacquer. The good quality lacquer/cellulose thinner is significantly more expensive, and should be reserved for diluting compatible polishes as required to achieve good application, levelling and curing.

That gunwash is good for washing off and neutralising dichloromethane paint stripper is, I suspect, primarily coincidental. Slainte.

Last edited:
I use gunwash thinners or acetone to wipe down after paintstripping, it gets it the gel carrier glop off quickly and well, gets it out of pores etc. DCM evaporates super fast so not sure the wipe down helps with that so much but the glop clean-up is way easier with a solvent wash.

I like to strip stuff by using paramose. then scrape off the bulk. reapply( thinly this time) then remove with coarse wire wool.wash down using warm water with a splash of ammonia. finally on solid wood jetwash using a(preferably) heated washer( obviously not to strong or close) if more delicate then keep rubbing with wire wool and finally wash off with warm water and a splash of ammonia. (8080)

Back