Steve's doors - open inwards or outwards !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which way should Steve's doors open?

• Inwards

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Outwards

Votes: 30 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I understand it correctly Steve has two entrances. A large double door arrangement and a smaller personal door.

My twopenneth worth is outward for the large door and inward for the personal door. Then all the locking mechanism for the large door is on the inside and can be substantial as it will not be used as much as the personal door. Too much security is a real pain and may mean that when just popping out to get some screws we tend not to use it all and that is when we are probably most vulnerable so make it as strong and as simple as possible so we would be more likely to use it all the time.

Mick

I went with outward opening doors, as my workshop is pretty small, and I couldn't afford to lose any space. It's very secure, with regard to your average low-life opportunist.

Nothing is ever completely impenetrable, so I think you just need to make it too much of a PITA / risk for someone to bother with. Anyone could break into my workshop, but they're going to have to make a lot of noise and mess to do so. A pro locksmith will fair better, but access inside the main lock box is very restricted, so would still be a pain, and then the house alarm will go off, and start ringing my mobile, too.

That's not a workshop it's a clubhouse - so much space!! :)
The prevailing wind (SW ) blows into my shop!

Rod

No skills":2z3k6xhz said:
Any large garage style doors obviously need to open outward, secured from the inside medieval style (assuming you have a separate personnel door) - make sure you coach bolt through the hinges.

If possible personnel doors should open inwards. Reinforced frame, hinge bolts, quality mortice locks. Please don't rely on any locking system based on a euro lock. You can get multipoint that runs off a normal key (from ERA I think). Add any extras that you can eg steel plates over lock areas, quality heavy duty handles etc etc.

If you have to rely on any exposed padlocks try to house them in steel lock boxes (only open at the bottom) and use something good (Cisa).

I sometimes have to break into our steel security doors when idiots loose all the keys or to get in after a botched break in attempt has cabbage up the door locks. If they were inward opening I wouldn't be able to force them, luckly they are outward opening and I know what to do :)

Outward opening means you can get between the door and frame with bars no problems (bend the jemmy strip out the way if its got one), straight at the locks/hinges.

I do often wonder if people offering door security advice have ever broken into a door before, obviously the lock smiths have - but who else? Lot of armchair experts.

FWIW

+1

Back