Startrite TA145.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine found a Startrite TA145 240v Saw (late 1960's would be my guess) in an old workshop/barn recently whilst doing a job there. It had been unused for at least 11 years (since the lady's husband had passed away). She was looking to try and clear out as much of the stuff as possible before moving and the stuff that was left was going to be put in a skip........!!!!! :shock:

We went and picked the saw up and a load of other stuff last weekend, and although the saw had a few small parts missing and a few damaged knobs/handles etc, its not in too bad of a condition considering its age & where it was stored. I got it cleaned up a bit, checked the wiring/switch and plugged it in and it runs sweet!......really smooth!
I have been in touch with Lee at ALT Saws & Spares and ordered a few parts from him which turned up yesterday.

One thing I could'nt find whilst searching around in the workshop/barn, was the right hand side cover. It is the angled section with the louvres that covers about 60% of the opening where the motor is accessed. I have had a search about on the internet to try and find one, but to no avail.

Any suggestions as to where to try? Or should I just keep on the lookout for a "Spares or Repair" donor saw that I can rob for parts?

Thanks, Tim.

good find with the saw
looking at a pdf it seems that there is no dust extraction...could be wrong
but if not you could just make a new shroud to cover the whole side from plywood and fit an outlet pipe to it
actually looking at more pics it has a penel below that already

so just make the missing part from ply
Steve

SteveF":36bsg7r5 said:
good find with the saw
looking at a pdf it seems that there is no dust extraction...could be wrong
but if not you could just make a new shroud to cover the whole side from plywood and fit an outlet pipe to it
actually looking at more pics it has a penel below that already

so just make the missing part from ply
Steve

Yes, it had crossed my mind to make one as you say, and incorporate a dust extraction outlet at the bottom of the panel. It would need to be the same shape as the original near the top though due to the fact that when the blade is tilted, the motor starts to project out of the side.

They did do a Dust Extraction attachment for the saw, and it is shown in the accessories on the PDF file.

I forgot to mention, I also found an original set of "Hold Down Clamps" that came with the saw. I doubt I'd have a use for them myself, but I'll see.
Someone on here may want or need a set as I think they were generic to the TA series saws...?????

Thanks Mike, I read that thread last weekend after getting this saw home. All I knew from what my mate had told me was that it was a Startrite Tilt Arbor saw, he had'nt checked to see what model it was. I'm pretty pleased so far, considering the saw cost me nothing apart from my time and a bit of diesel and now a few spares from ALT Saws.

You can see the cover that I'm missing in the 2nd picture of that thread.

Back