Startrite 440r bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that one or two people here have/had a Startrite 440r bandsaw, and I‘ve read discussions of the replacement of the guides, however I’d be interested to know more about the saw; I’m considering moving on my Startrite 14-S-1, and buying a 440r for its greater re-saw capacity. For those unfamiliar with the saw, it was sold as being more heavily built, and more rigid than saws of a similar size, precisely for re-saw ability and capacity.

So, can anybody share their experiences with this saw?

Thanks very much

Make sure you can see it running first....with a wide blade, as a narrow blade can hide issues,
especially if that machine is like the 502e with cambered tires.
That machine I mentioned wasn't sold for long, and was replaced with another similar machine,
I may have seen one of those being sold alongside it, but at a substantially higher price,
I didn't seek to get a proper look at it though.
If it's running good, then should be able to tackle anything you could throw at it,
member Yojevol was only selling his recently, and it had a powerfeed attached,
which is a good sign.

The following is pure speculation, but I reckon I'm onto something, and will find out soon.
I've posted some about this on various forums, and my thoughts on this has yet to be challenged. Bearing in mind I've also had to address everything else which crops up regarding troubleshooting, and I've done dang near everything that can be done to a bandsaw, which I won't get into.

If I was to buy any machine now, I would look for motor adjustability just incase,
Motor adjustability can/could be done in various ways, and worth consideration IMO.

Foot mount motors are foolproof, but most saws are flange mounted,
so a good look at it to see if there's any room for error, (as with any machine)
Room for error, as in... should the motor need skewing to match the top wheel,
(Top wheels on most saws apparently non skew-able by way of adjustment)
then a ring like below could be ground to suit, provided the pulley can be adjusted on the motor shaft.
Worst case scenario being the pulley is as far out as it can go, and with no ring present.
meaning one couldn't simply shim the motor out.
129129-Screenshot-2022-11-27-SCM-Formula-S-640P-Bandsaw-Installation---YouTube-1-.png

SAM_6745.JPG

The main thing if those issues are present on any bandsaw, are the wheel bores.
I don't think I could repair that myself if there was bore wear, well not without a lot of thought and work, which I really really wouldn't want to try, as I don't have the kit for that kinda stuff.

A quote from Van Huskey about bandsaws...

"Why? I don't know it is kinda hard to explain but it has to do with the fact that they are sorta like dogs. Each has its own personality, not just every make and model but each individual saw but when you get to know them they become like an old pal. When you first adopt them they can be kind of angry and/or scared but with a little love they begin to open up and do what you ask of them. They are also quite versatile and make the best case to have multiples in the shop. I guess I just like the fact they are so simple but yet confound when it comes to setting them up. "

I've had to take this one to the ranch for rehabilitation.
SAM_6791.JPG

Got finished making this adjustable plate for the flange mount motor today, just a few more wee jobs to do before I can work out how much shimming it needs.
Hopefully it will sort out my troubles, and I can get get the best from my machine...
which is notably a cut above the perception which some folks have regarding performance.

Next part will likely take some blood, sweat, and tears, (well hopefully not the last bit)
as it ain't a pleasant experience donking yer head off the guidepost, ouch !
Just a li'l taster for ye bandsaw fanatics, as I'll be painting this before doing an update.

vlcsnap-2023-01-24-14h40m26s575.png

Cheerio

Tom

I missed out on the particular machine, but yes, I’d consider one if it came up again.
They are reasonably rare I think. Let me know if you have any questions. I know it reasonably well having converted to a phase phase converter and then back to 3 phase. As well as having rebuilt most of it. - I have to replace the tire on the top wheel next. However I don't have much experience of other machines so can't compare directly but it does seem to like attention.
The ceramic guides are definitely fiddly to set up well. I have 'restored' mine using porcelain tile as replacements were prohibitively expensive. Seems to have worked well with no apparent difference from the original. It was really easy to do too.
I have cut hundreds of meters of oak with this machine and generally it has done everything asked. I would like a power feed like on a proper resaw and the band wheels are on the low size for many resaw type blades. I have had a few blades break but only after heavy use. It is not as heavily built as I'd like and tracking is effected by the tension applied so takes a few attempts to get right. I only tend to run wide blades that require the max it will handle so I suspect I am pushing it to the limit.
Have just fitted a new TCT blade and run a couple of tests. Cut really straight and
pleased with the results so far. Plan on keeping this blade in place and getting a smaller saw for small and curved work. Changing blades is a pain and always the danger of damaging an expensive TCT version. Bench mounted, possibly RP Sabre 250?

BTW phase converter now available - Drives Direct 7.5Hp 415v.

I had an interesting comment when I was. looking for a bandsaw with resaw capability. I was at a woodwork exhibition at the NEC. I made a point of visiting the RP stand as the 440R was on my radar. Had a good chat with the rep and his parting words at the end of the conversation were 'You really should have a look at the Centuro'.
I would concur that blade changing can be frustrating especially with the larger sizes. The problem is that the blooming foot emergency stop switch prevents the door from opening fully. I'm sure it's only there to comply with the regs. I can't imagine a situation where it would be used in anger. It could be moved to a better location or .......
Brian

I had an interesting comment when I was. looking for a bandsaw with resaw capability. I was at a woodwork exhibition at the NEC. I made a point of visiting the RP stand as the 440R was on my radar. Had a good chat with the rep and his parting words at the end of the conversation were 'You really should have a look at the Centuro'.
I would concur that blade changing can be frustrating especially with the larger sizes. The problem is that the blooming foot emergency stop switch prevents the door from opening fully. I'm sure it's only there to comply with the regs. I can't imagine a situation where it would be used in anger. It could be moved to a better location or .......
Brian
Yes agree. That foot switch is totally pointless and stops the door opening. Really annoying and can only have been an afterthought. Have only not removed as doing so would not make much difference as I have fitted wheels which would be the next thing to get in the way. Was thinking last time I changed the blade to make the door removeable with some gate type hinges. Would be so much easier with it gone.
Thinking about it now. Some parliament hinges of the correct size would swing the door over the top of everything.

How much did you tension your blades? I pretty much just put as much as I can on. The indicator is pretty useless. I measured the available compression of the spring and there was no way it could indicate the tension for a 50mm blade. Mine maxes out at 35. You do start chasing the tracking though so it must be twisting the frame. I have been meaning to try and measure the tension with a set of calipers but never get round to it. My feeling is the tension is disappointingly low so just max it out.

Also the manual states to run with the teeth over the lip of the wheel. That's fine with a 50mm blade but a 10mm one? I am running my TCT blade over the edge as afraid of breaking the teeth off. It's about 30mm I think.

Back