Bandsaw choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scockram

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Here's yet another bandsaw thread, I know there's been rather a lot already. Sorry!

So I'm currently in the market for a bandsaw. For general use and also more specifically for cutting blanks for wood turning. I'm only a hobbyist, looking to spend as little as possible, but wanting to get a decent quality machine. Hence I'm only considering older, used tools.

I've got a couple of contenders at present that are within my price range.
One is a Startrite 14-s-1,
the other a Elektra Beckum BAS 315

Any thoughts on either or both of the above please anyone?

Thanks
Simon

Lots of things terrible regarding the 315.
Guides are gallium/clay like zinc castings which crumble,
cheaper to buy a welder than buy replacements from bedford tool & co.
Worst fence and rail system ever designed on a bandsaw, fence needs disassembly and stable like an empty beer can blowin in the wind once removed, after which rail then needs removal to change blade, (which also keeps the table leaves flat)
That's a few bolts to do up again.
Silly that you also need a big flathead for the doors, but thats easily sortable

Good chance the little bit of threaded rod used for tensioning will be stripped.
Tires seems pants compared to other machines.

The frame is good, unsure what metal the wheels are made from,
most machines these days, i.e over a decade have cast iron.
which I'd personally be looking for instead.

Quite a large machine for what it is, as the table is huge,
pretty much the same footprint as a compact 20" has.

Whats your budget for this bandsaw/band saw?
EB 315.JPG

So I'm currently in the market for a bandsaw. For general use and also more specifically for cutting blanks for wood turning. I'm only a hobbyist, looking to spend as little as possible, but wanting to get a decent quality machine. Hence I'm only considering older, used tools.

the problem you have is that you want to do a high end job With a tool that is cheap.

cutting blanks for wood turning needs a lot of power and probably jigs to make cutting safe so you need a large depth of cut.

Thanks all,

Seems like I've picked two duffers there then! So I'll need to do more searching and researching.

I was hoping for a budget top end of about £300. That may be wishful thinking I guess. I might have to wait a while until finances, (hopefully!), ease a little. Even so, I'd be reluctant to spend more than £500, as it's only for hobby/occasional use. Am I being realistic, would I get something of decent quality for either of those figures?

The startright is a 3 wheel bandsaw so uses smaller diameter wheels which put more stress on the blade. I think you would be better with a more common 2 wheel version
Where's the third wheel? I only see two in the picture of the cabinet with the door open, on the advert. I get your point about diameter though.

the problem you have is that you want to do a high end job With a tool that is cheap.

cutting blanks for wood turning needs a lot of power and probably jigs to make cutting safe so you need a large depth of cut.
Good points. I was aiming for the largest cut dimensions and power that I can afford. It's just a question of where that balance lies, how much I'll have to compromise. I'm trying to get a feel for that now. I'm a competent chainsaw user so happy enough to use that for bigger blanks that are too much for whichever bandsaw I end up with. Fairly sure I can get things square enough to be roughed out on the lathe.

I couldn't find a open door pic

I would have gone for startrite every day of the week!

If it's £300 I'd go for it!

I was hoping for a budget top end of about £300
That really limits what you are going to get, you will be looking at second hand and to get more for the cash maybe look at something needing work doing because when you say an aftermarket fence is around £100 that puts things into perspective.

I couldn't find a open door pic

I would have gone for startrite every day of the week!

If it's £300 I'd go for it!
Same here, I've read @deema mention good things about the 14s5 if you read his post in the second link
Perhaps he or others could mention the shortcomings, and whether that might be sorted without too much engineering,
They still make parts for those i think, built to last.

Likely some good stuff in the links
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/cutting-metal-with-statrite-14-s-1.120573/#post-1326121
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/best-£1-000-bandsaw.113681/#post-1239444
I think you'd be looking at the auctions for something with more capacity, for that kinda money.

The only difference between the 14S1 and S5 is that the S5 has a step pulleys so you can change the speed. There is no competition in my mind, get the Startrite.

have a look here....homeworkshop.org......
if u can wait to get the £500's in ur pocket u'll get a much better machine......
spectric's correct if u can do a little works ur'self.....
Been a long time since I bought in the UK but we used to by a 3phase or 440v machine and change the motors...
in the old days they we're almost unsaleable.......
try not to rush at it...they are like busses nothing then 6 will come at once.....
see if u can find the local wood turning club,someone there may have one for sale.......
if u go ebay or faceache rout try n get something local....or put a wanted add on F/B, u never know.....
If u buy said machine can u transport it.....? they are very top heavy.....often u have to lay em down which I dont like........just sayin.......
if u get a better machine, even after a few years u'll get ur money back.....there plenty of people out there wanting to upgrade......
the cheapo garbage u nearly have to give away coz they are really not very good.....
others will know better than me but look for 1,5-2HP motor.....bigger motor usually means bigger machine which equal more £'s.....
anything smaller, cutting deep will be dangerous because u will be at the machines linits........

here's the third wheel? I only see two in the picture of the cabinet with the door open, on the advert. I get your point about diameter though.
My error, I was confusing it with a different model
Startrites are good machines but a bit pricey compared with less well known makes
Also consider 3 phase with a dual voltage motor and inverter drive which can work out cheaper and also effectively gives you soft start, braking and variable speed
Ian

Its only about £100 for a VFD and then you get the other benefits. Also bandsaws have higher start up inertia so soft start means a larger motor will run on a 13 amp plug

Hi there Simon…

I might be able to help you out here….I do have access to an old Kity 613….
the table on those is 500*500…200 throat…
i think it was a very good bandsaw…..and used for a range of jobs

Its only about £100 for a VFD
Maybe for one that has arrived on a slow boat from asia, but having worked industrial electrical I only recommend those from the likes of Abb, Hitachi, Siemens and Mitsibishi because they have complete internal protection and all the bells and whistles the cheap ones have done away with to make them cheap. This is also a problem with many of the cheap plug in power supplies which again are cheap for a reason because they can be a fire risk.

People also size single phase to three phase invertors so they are underpowered for the task in hand, they need to apply at least a 1.7 increase in power with people like Hitachi recomending 2 times to cover all synarios.

My Record Bs400 has a 2Kw motor input and gives no issues on a 13 amp supply protected by a type B device unlike my P/T.

I got chastised for mentioning Hitachi's opinion on this recently,
perhaps I wasn't clear enough for folks when I was talking about de-rating
say a 4kw motor to a 2kw, to enable a machine to run off a household 13a plug.
Some VFD's can do this, but not all, so one must make sure to match the kw/hp rating,
if not something which has these features.
There are cheap ones which can de-rate motors, like the huanyang with it's hundred and something parameters,
but my Isacon-askpower does not have these options, i.e parameters

I was weary of using a huanyang in this instance of de-rating larger, i.e 4hp motors
to run off household.
Still like to read of someone doing so before I take the plunge.

I have a Charnwood bandsaw in the For Sale section. Right at the top end of your price range and not a Startrite but a decent saw nevertheless.
Located in Northampton.
Duncan

I have 2 inverter and despite the large cost difference I have no issues with either
I have an ABB running a 3hp on a multico 600 bandsaw which has worked faultlessly for 25 years. I think I paid £300 back then which was below trade price
A chinese £100 job running a 12" panel saw for about 5 years. I have tripped it out once being a bit eager ripping 3" oak

Same size and power as both my sawing machines, and no issues with my cheapos either.
What I'd like to know is if de-rating a 4 or 3kw motor to a respectable 2.2kw using a vfd (a specific VFD of which has these features)
might be asking a bit more from these than intended.

Not sure if going up a size to suit original motor spec would change anything in the minds of folks who don't recommend these from the get go.
i.e some Italian bandsaws have 4kw motors, while the same machine in different colours comes with a 2.2kw, (just to strike that suitability argument out)
bandsaw compressed.jpg

Just like to know if the extra components and capacity (not rating) of say the Hitachi, is where the extra cash might be spent, say capacitors, IGBT's or whatnot

Will there be excess heat or strain running a motor that's de-rated compared to using these with the same rated motor. (in a like for like scenario within reason i.e above)

Not that this is of interest to the OP as a bandsaw with a larger than 3hp/2.2kw motor will likely be huge.
The auctions are where the deals will be, and for 3 hundred odd quid, I would be looking at 3 phase stuff also, and more so if ones not got a 16a supply, but needs a large capacity.
I was looking for a 20"/ 500 or 540mm wheeled machine, but this 600mm saw came up for 500 euros in a non running state.
I've seen similar ubiquitous 24" saws (common to see) for bit less the odd time since, but reckon it'll likely take at least another hundred to get anything within a reasonable timeframe, i.e 6mths.
But then again I don't look at the auctions, so could be spouting auld hay regarding that.
Nice Italian machine on the bay going for twice what you want to pay,
so possibly promising for one who is on the lookout for a deal.

Latest posts

Back