Startrite 301 tyres???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgersurfer

Reaction score
I posted this in here as there doesn't seem to be category for bandsaws. Anyway I have an old Green Enamel type Startrite 301 (not S) Bandsaw and it is in good order and used regularly. I have just noticed that the blade is running at a peculiar angle. On further inspection I can see that the tyres are badly worn and appear to be at a fairly steep angle being lower at the back thus making the blade look twisted. So I figured a new set of tyres would be a good investment. But I cannot find any other than some on an American site on ebay but the wheel they show is not like mine so I can only assume it is a newer model . Mine are about 12" diameter wheels (solid yellow). I thought about making a tool to skim them but that is a hassle.
Does anyone have any idea where I might get some replacement tyres in uk please or even get the existing ones refurbished?

The band wheels on my startrite 18-s-1 (older than yours) unbolt and are intended to be replaced. The tyres are bonded on.
Yours may the same having three bolts on the hubs. I understand these are horrendously expensive to buy even if you can get them.
I have heard of people buying lengths of rubberised cork compound and fitting it them selves with a scarfed joint (pointing in the correct direction). If mine ever need doing I would buy some long poly Vee belts that are wide enough and stick those on my wheels (I would have three to do).
If you search the archive, you should find posts by OPJ where he did his tyres with the rubberised cork.

Yep thanks for that, mine are obviously similar to yours and do look like they could be bonded. Also I read somewhere that Startrite tyres were curved towards the center. Do you know if that is true as I cannot tell because mine are so worn?
There is a guy on youtube that did his with cork but is was a lot of faffing about making a jigged plane blade to skim it after fitting.
I am wondering whether to try making a mould with the bandsaw wheel in it and pour polyurethane catalyst around the outside of the existing tyre as it may adhere to the existing tyre and bring it back to the norm. But maybe just skimming it level on a lathe may suffice and the tyre looks pretty thick.

I'm pretty certain my band wheels are not crowned now but they are fairly well worn so could have had a slight crown when new.
It runs very well so my belief is that crowning is not that important. NB mine is a three wheeler, it is possible that a two wheeler might be more critical to needing crowning.

Trying to cast new tyres sound fraught with problems unless you have expertise in this. I'd cut off the old tyres and either glue on polyvee belting or some of that rubberised cork stuff.
Good Luck

Back