Startrite 18 S 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBH1

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I was recently given a Startrite 18 S 1 bandsaw. I've not had too much time to make good use of it, but the time I have had has made me question whether its the right machine for me. I'd really like a machine which is obviously accurate and powerful as I'd like to rip down some large (say 250mm ish) sections of timber when necessary and cut some accurate joints when needed. The thing that bothers me is the guide block set up and its accuracy, the parallel fence doesn't seem to allow for blade drift and there is no mitre slot.

Does anyone have any experience of these machines and what are their thoughts on them for general woodworking?

Cheers,
Euan

Hi Euan

I have the 14S5 and like yours it doesn't have a mitre slot of any ability to correct for blade drift in the fence and I think it's brilliant!

If you set up the blade properly there should not be any blade drift. Ive never experienced it when I have set the saw up properly. As for a mitre slot, I have made a T out of timber that slides over the fence. Works a treat, but I have to admit I don't think I have used it more than a couple of times, there are better solution than a band saw.

Thanks Deema,
Its good to hear some good experience of the saw. I guess I need to get some new blades and have a good tinker with it. I've not got a huge amount of experience with setting up bandsaw, but looks like I'll have to learn.
Cheers,
Euan

That's a great video Alex - Thanks.

I was also fortunate enough to get the mitre gauge with the machine, but as yet I'm at a loss on how to use use it! I'll have a hunt around on google and hopefully find a user manual.

Cheers,
Euan

Wow,
The mitre gauge for the machines are the proverbial hens teeth to find. On the side of the machine where you would stand to feed the stuff into the blade, there is a T slot that the fence rides in. The mitre fence fits into this, you slide it in and then fix it in position. The mitre fence then slides into the blade. It's an excellent arrangement, and works really well ( I've played with one but not yet own one!)

Put a piece of wood o. The front of the mitre fence, and position it such that the none of the metal will be fed I to the blade

Ah! That would make more sense. I'll have to give it a go tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Back