Staircase renovation - ideas?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emanuel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. So this is what I am currently working on (see the picture).
I was thinking to renovate it with glass (some glass panels instead of the old spindles) and cover the old steps and risers with new ones.
What do you think? I would really appreciate some opinions.

Attachments

• my staircase.jpg
    my staircase.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 207
Really depends on the house style you're going for. And there's a difference between renovate and totally change. Personally to renovate I'd repair any damage and re-finish appropriate to the existing materials. So nothing structural. Of course you could replace everything visible with something new if that suits the style of the room - and you're confident its not going to look like mutton dressed as lamb!

Dee J":2v0wikc0 said:
Really depends on the house style you're going for. And there's a difference between renovate and totally change. Personally to renovate I'd repair any damage and re-finish appropriate to the existing materials. So nothing structural. Of course you could replace everything visible with something new if that suits the style of the room - and you're confident its not going to look like mutton dressed as lamb!
It depends on the house style indeed but even so there are a lot of solutions to go with. For example, here I would go with a modern look to suit the house, but I can either go with glass or with a combination between metal and timber - both of these are modern styles and there are a lot of other ones as well that I can use.
Should I have called it "staircase replacing" :) ?! For the steps and risers I would cover them with new ones - what do you think?

I went for an old fashioned look with mine. Painted spindles and banister, painted edges of risers and treads, fitted carpet runner and brass stairrods.

mseries":3v5lpm59 said:
I went for an old fashioned look with mine. Painted spindles and banister, painted edges of risers and treads, fitted carpet runner and brass stairrods.
Yes that's the way to do it! In fact I'm planning to do the same with mine.
Or replace it entirely - trying to tart it up looks a like a big mistake to me.

I'm fitting steel and glass in a new extension to our old house. It's one of the few tall light spaces in the house and I wanted maximum light penetration. In a more enclosed space I'd probably stick with wood. Those add-on metal and wood systems commonly available tend to look a bit tacky (imho). As for the treads... carpet is quieter and more forgiving for slips and trips.

A quick word to the wise - I suspect that if you make any significant changes it would be worth ensuring that the finished Mk.II staircase adheres to current building regs (e.g. from the photo, those banisters may be a little far apart by modern standards). Cheers, W2S

PS looking at that very nice old staircase, I'd be tempted to do as little as possible to it in order to make it fit for another 100 years or so.

You've not told us what the rest of the house is like, or what sort of house it is, so any advice will be based on guesswork.

But speaking as one old enough to have helped my dad "modernise" panelled doors and stairs with sheets of hardboard, and then go through the work and expense of reversing similar jobs in places of my own, I would recommend you to ignore fashion and keep what works.

(And don't forget that some people get quite disoriented by glass on stairs - do you want your house to be a no-go area for them?)

AndyT":2ucz1dy2 said:
But speaking as one old enough to have helped my dad "modernise" panelled doors and stairs with sheets of hardboard, and then go through the work and expense of reversing similar jobs in places of my own, I would recommend you to ignore fashion and keep what works.

I was watching an old "Barry Bucknall" film the other evening and thinking how fashions change.

Woody2Shoes":2xwwfchl said:
A quick word to the wise - I suspect that if you make any significant changes it would be worth ensuring that the finished Mk.II staircase adheres to current building regs (e.g. from the photo, those banisters may be a little far apart by modern standards)

Agree
I have been checking standards myself recently and they are quite strict.
repair whats there and you are OK, but if you change you take on "designer's safety duties"

Woody2Shoes":2p68cfhs said:
A quick word to the wise - I suspect that if you make any significant changes it would be worth ensuring that the finished Mk.II staircase adheres to current building regs (e.g. from the photo, those banisters may be a little far apart by modern standards). Cheers, W2S

PS looking at that very nice old staircase, I'd be tempted to do as little as possible to it in order to make it fit for another 100 years or so.
Well spotted. Yes. The spindles are too far away from each other. The building regulations state that the distance between the banisters must not be greater than 99 mm.

It is a traditional to modern house. The owners are planing some other renovations as well in the house and they would like a contemporary look.
The staircase doesn't look bad, but I wouldn't use a runner. I think it would look better and it will last more with new steps and risers. What do you think?

Emanuel":nn6uy55t said:
Woody2Shoes":nn6uy55t said:

Well spotted. Yes. The spindles are too far away from each other. The building regulations state that the distance between the banisters must not be greater than 99 mm.

It is a traditional to modern house. The owners are planing some other renovations as well in the house and they would like a contemporary look.
The staircase doesn't look bad, but I wouldn't use a runner. I think it would look better and it will last more with new steps and risers. What do you think?
You might be surprised how 'contemporary' a runner can look. With the right choice of carpet together with some polished chrome brackets and rod and square spindles it would look very different indeed. Try a google for staircase runner and see what I mean.

Emanuel":1m5zpv08 said:
Dee J":1m5zpv08 said:
It depends on the house style indeed but even so there are a lot of solutions to go with. For example, here I would go with a modern look to suit the house, but I can either go with glass or with a combination between metal and timber - both of these are modern styles and there are a lot of other ones as well that I can use.
Should I have called it "staircase replacing" :) ?! For the steps and risers I would cover them with new ones - what do you think?

If you clad the steps then the bottom step will gain 20mm in rise and the top step will loose 20mm rise. Not only will this drive the occupants to despair but the stairs would not comply with Building Regs as all steps in a run must have the same rise and going.

I'm with PAC1 on this, you say it's for customers, if someone trips or falls because of the irregularity of the top or bottom tread you could be deemed responsible.

Personally I wouldn't overlay the treads and risers with anything. PAC1 gave the main reason above. The other reason is that it's a pain in the buttocks and they WILL squeak/creak etc. And they'll look rubbish in a few years.

As for the balustrade etc, I'm just in the process of replacing a similar setup with Oak Square handrails and glass panels for a client. Whilst we're making a very tidy job of it it looks stupid. If they really want a contemporary staircase then rip that one out and fit a new one.

At the most I'd cut the newel down and M&T a new square one on and fit square Oak spindles and a simple Oak Handrail. White paint and oiled Oak look nice together IMHO.

You can buy solid wood cladding kits that are thinner than 20mm.
I have seen some using veneered ply with a solid nosing but don't know if that'd be hard wearing enough.
The floor could be packed at the top/bottom if need be, but think you'd want to keep to the building regs to be safe.

I remember a builder friend getting in trouble when his customer decided to fit a parquet floor after the staircase was fitted. They had to re jig the staircase to keep the building inspector happy.

Also wonder how glass would look next to those turned newel posts.

Think it'll be a lot of work to get what you want.

PAC1":2jpu86gv said:
If you clad the steps then the bottom step will gain 20mm in rise and the top step will loose 20mm rise. Not only will this drive the occupants to despair but the stairs would not comply with Building Regs as all steps in a run must have the same rise and going.
For the top step I was thinking to use a cladding step as well and then use a jointer to connect the flooring with the step (the flooring will be the same thickness in this case). This means that the top step will not loose from its height. See picture
Can you please send me a link to where you look for these regulations? I might need to update my knowledge.

Attachments

• jointer.jpg
    jointer.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 27
Dan j":2p66zn16 said:
I remember a builder friend getting in trouble when his customer decided to fit a parquet floor after the staircase was fitted. They had to re jig the staircase to keep the building inspector happy.
Yes, I know what you mean. You need to think about flooring before refurbishing a staircase. otherwise you;ll get the exact thing that your friend got.

stuartpaul":d3k24n93 said:
Emanuel":d3k24n93 said:
Woody2Shoes":d3k24n93 said:
You might be surprised how 'contemporary' a runner can look. With the right choice of carpet together with some polished chrome brackets and rod and square spindles it would look very different indeed. Try a google for staircase runner and see what I mean.
I have seen a lot of styles and models. The thing is that you can only get low price ones (which don' look great) or you can pay a lot (and I mean a lot) for a good looking one (maybe something personalized as well). In the end it's just a matter of price and personal taste. But no matter the taste, never go with this :lol: :

Attachments

• colourful-green-staircase-runner-design.jpg
    colourful-green-staircase-runner-design.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 25
Back