Floating staircase steel work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
We are in the process of buying a property that needs complete renovation and I have got my eye on a floating staircase. Whilst I will have no problems making the hollow treads myself, I just don't have any idea regarding sourcing the steelwork and what you can expect to pay. Here is a picture below.
1696147626861.png

Sorry no idea. Assume a conversation with steel fabricators needed and possibly a structural engineer. How do you ever get that through building control?

Last one I was involved in.
The steel was sourced from a local supplier.
Buy 20% more than you need, as mistakes could be made.

The wall fixings was dictated by planning regs, we used 2 resin studs every other step. But 3 at top and bottom.

The welds had to be done by a coded welder, documents were supplied.
The planning office wanted to see them after we fixed the wall plate to the wall, before it was plastered over.

Steel prices are in flux at the moment.

Sorry no idea. Assume a conversation with steel fabricators needed and possibly a structural engineer. How do you ever get that through building control?
Actually quite common in many new houses (indeed it was quite the fad a little while back to have 'invisible' stairs- floating glass staircases- literally just the toughened glass steps and no frames at all- not good if you have a fear of heights lol)

Attachments

• 2b1184f12606513dfc5307c111a0744b-1261554562.jpeg
    2b1184f12606513dfc5307c111a0744b-1261554562.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 0
I have never walked up/down on this type of staircase but they look a bit scary. Perhaps they are only good for a certain age group i.e. not under 10 or over 50 or any age of a nervous disposition?
Long term a traditional staircase (with a balustrade) will be more useful/saleable/safe.

I have never walked up/down on this type of staircase but they look a bit scary. Perhaps they are only good for a certain age group i.e. not under 10 or over 50 or any age of a nervous disposition?
Long term a traditional staircase (with a balustrade) will be more useful/saleable/safe.
Structurally, they are probably safer longterm than a wooden one...
Plus many like the 'modern' uncluttered look of them...
Personally I am 'meh' about them myself, but my ex absolutely loved the look of them and wanted one at the old place...

(I was surprised, I thought that glass stairs would be dangerous in some conditions ie if you had wet feet or certain types of shoes on, but when we went looking, they apparently have some kind of surface on them that makes them less slippery than many polished wooden ones)

How do they get over the under 100mm gap legislation?
Not a thing in Australia- even most wooden ones (like the original ones at the old place) were open backed...
I supose that if that was an issue, you could just add a 'glass back' and viola, no gap lol

Latest posts

Back