spindle moulder useage.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clewlowm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. i have not used a spindle moulder in 20 years :? . Would there be anyone local to me that would be prepared to do me an idiots guide? its just that i am kind of fond of my fingers. mainly in the setting up department. many thanks mike.

Cleolowm

Am too far from you and not sure the college would thankme for dragging you along with me anyway, but have to say you've the right idea. Stick it out, someone might help.

Or they may just all ignore you...... :lol:

Are you going to be using one professionally? Could you approach a local joiner? Maybe the best way as a lot of folk I know on the forum use a router table rather than a spindle moulder; the exception being the guys with larger workshops.

Hope this helps

Neil

May i ask what it is you need help in setting up. And what machine you are intending to use, type of work etc.

I will be using 2 no kity best combi machines. yes its for my business i am a fully qualified carpenter. Just going back into making sliding sash windows.

There are several good videos available although I can't find or remember the name of the one I used when starting out with my spindle. Have a Google around.

A few basics.

As for setting up - always turn the machine off at the isolator!

Perform all cuts with a false fence - a piece of 6mm MDF screwed to the main fence which is then pushed back onto the moving block so that only the cutters protrude through the false fence. This makes your machine much safer and will produce better results.

Always make sure guards are in place before turning the machine back on at the isolator.

Cheers
Brad

Thanks Brad.
I have 20 pair of new sash, 2 new complete box frames and three pair of barn doors to manufacture :shock: . gonna have a play with the machine this weekend.

Axminster do some cutters for sash windows

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Whit ... -19800.htm

There is probably more info in the catalogue than online. If you are doing new work with double glazing they wont be suitable as the rebate will not be deep enough.

My process for sash windows is to cut the tenons and scribes on a tenoning machine and then run out the rebate and profile on the spindle moulder. If you have 2 spindles you could set one up for rebating and one for profiling. You will have to cut the tenons first if you are scribing the profile. If you are going to be cutting them from machined profiles with a bandsaw/byhand you can do it after machining.

One of the best bits of kit for safety on a spindle is a powerfeed. It increases accuracy and quality of finish and also acts as the guard for the cutterblock.

Jon

Back