Spindle Moulder courses in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any courses that give an intro to Spindle Moulder set-up and use? I've recently acquired a Felder combi with a tilting Spindle and would like to be taught the safe way to operate and how to get the most out of it - to remove some of my unknown unknowns.

Dave

It might be worth a quick sniff around the HSE website. They sometimes have best practice guides for various industrial sectors or activities.

They have a very good one on abrasive wheels. It is possible they have something relating to the wood machining industry.

Slight pause...

They do.

They produce 'Woodworking information sheets', abbreviated to WISxx where xx is the number.

See:

https://auction.marriottco.co.uk/media/lot/HSE-Spindle-moulder-guide.pdf
Safe use of woodworking machinery. Provision and Use of Work Equipment regulations 1998 as applied to woodworking machinery - L114 (links to https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l114.pdf)

https://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/wis.htm

Not a course but the spindle moulder handbook by Eric Stephenson is a decent start. Making jigs and sub fences is good for safety.
I advise a powerfeed.
Keep your fingers out of the spinny bit.

Ollie

If you have a machine already and have read up on Stevenson etc then a few goes with a rebate block should be low risk and a good introduction. Very little blade projection.
Start with small rebate on corner of large workpiece - unlikely to lose control and good for getting a feel of the machine. 2 push sticks and/or power feed.

Are there any courses that give an intro to Spindle Moulder set-up and use? I've recently acquired a Felder combi with a tilting Spindle and would like to be taught the safe way to operate and how to get the most out of it - to remove some of my unknown unknowns.

Dave
I’ve also just acquired the same machine and I’m looking for a good introductory course I’m in Rawtenstall lancashire I’ve heard Axminster tools do a good introductory course

I've always felt that classical woodworking machinery is largely self-explanatory.

Once you get a feel for the cut, and think through what could go wrong ...

many have got some general machinery knowledge but trust me many don't. have a truthful look at your understanding and prior experience before turning on. it's better if someone shows you what to do for basic cuts and the basic don't.
courses can be great if there geared toward your level.but unfortuneatly they are few and far between.

I've always felt that classical woodworking machinery is largely self-explanatory.

Once you get a feel for the cut, and think through what could go wrong ...
That's the advice our shop teacher in high school gave. Two-Fingers Barnwell scared us sometimes.

I've been around a long time, full time in the workshop, and I still have all my digits. The advice is to be thoughtful and cautious, and to engage with the task. Nervousness isn't a healthy condition of mind, and can be counter-productive, even dangerous.

I've been around a long time, full time in the workshop, and I still have all my digits ...
Me too. Get the two push sticks habit and you will never lose another finger!
No joke - there is no need ever to have your hands near a spinning cutter, in fact it makes them easier to operate as you can be close to the blade with a push stick, with better control.
Might wreck a few push sticks but just make ply copies and have them to hand, all over the place.

Push sticks are essential but for me they need to be wood and not plastic, the plastic ones shatter if they get on the blade but wood just gets a nick.

I’ve also just acquired the same machine and I’m looking for a good introductory course I’m in Rawtenstall lancashire I’ve heard Axminster tools do a good introductory course
Sadly, the Axminster skill centre shut down a while ago and there's nothing on the website about when they might start-up again.
(OOI which machine have you got? Mine's a BF6)

Dave

Latest posts

Back