Spindle Moulder courses in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a course but the spindle moulder handbook by Eric Stephenson is a decent start. Making jigs and sub fences is good for safety.
I advise a powerfeed.
Keep your fingers out of the spinny bit.

Ollie
Thanks Ollie, a copy of that is now in the post.
I used the spindle (a little) on my old Bestcombi 2000 but the Felder spindle is more of a beast and I'd like to be given some ideas of what I *could* do with it, as well as how to do it safely. I've been woodworking for many years and, despite a couple of near misses (or not-too-serious hits) I still have all my appendages.

Dave

many have got some general machinery knowledge but trust me many don't. have a truthful look at your understanding and prior experience before turning on. it's better if someone shows you what to do for basic cuts and the basic don't.
courses can be great if there geared toward your level.but unfortuneatly they are few and far between.
I'm a reasonably experienced woodworker but accept that there are probably many unknown unknowns, as well as the known unknowns. I'll contact John Lloyd and others but would prefer a dedicated SM course, rather than spending time being shown how to use a planer/thicknesser or a saw table on a more general course.

Dave

a feel for the cut is actually a thing I think. like letting the machine do the work and listening to the motor.

Roy Sutton's videos are just about the best primer you will find

There are other vids like safe wood machining, or other routing vids from Roy worth a watch also.

Then you could also look for some American videos on "shapers" (dovetail timberworks?)
and I believe Bradshaw joinery has a video also, which is UK and up to speed regarding the newer tooling.

Guessing you folks have seen all that, but just incase you hadn't.
All the best
Tom

Hi Dave - I'd suggest it's well worth speaking to Bruce at Tewkesbury Saw - not a million miles from your part of the world.

He's runs a lot of SM training courses for industry and education and he is a good guy & really knows his stuff.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Nick
Laguna UK

Back