spindle moulder question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggly

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys

could you give me the heads up on a spindle moulder question? I have measured the spindle and it seems to be a 30 nmm spindle but would like to know what cutter head you would recommend i have looked at the axminster site and they have a couple of players but am not sure what size to get. The spindle moulder is a variable speed machine set in a combi and i am lookig at easy stuff such as chamfering or rounding over initially with a view to progress further. any thoughts gratefully received

Hi Riggly,

You're now starting down a very slippery slope with spindle tooling, once you start spending it................££ :D :D :D .

Anyhow, it really depends on the HP of the moulder you have, get one to big & heavy and it will struggle to spin up. If your moulder is say 2hp then look for lighter I would to go for an alloy or steel block at say 100mm x 40mm euro style profile block, this will enable you to access a whole range of inexpensive profile cutters. I would also recommend the largest dedicated rebate block with TCT knives the machine will take (bigger blocks give a better finish in my 40 odd years moulding experience as they take a bigger slice. ). Try an alloy 125mm x 50mm, I find the 40mm depth ones a bit limiting. There is no noticeable difference between alloy & steel blocks in performance terms.

Also have a look at vari thickness slotting cuter blocks, you'll be amazed at how useful these are.

Have a good look around the internet as there's a lot more to choose than the Axminsters and at varying prices.

As Pro Shop says a 40mm block to take euro profile cutters and a separate rebate block if you can afford it. If not then you can get blocks that take the euro cutters and TCT disposable rebate knives.

I also have a wobble saw which is similar to the adjustable groovers but not so costly.

Have a look at Wealden, they do a decent range.

If you are handfeeding you should be looking at blocks with limiters or self limmiting blocks which the rebate ones are.

Jason

Thanks for the info chaps i have just had a look at the machine and i believe that it is a 1.35 HP (1.8kw x .75 = 1.35 HP) it also has a sign which seems to indicate the speeds relative to the tool size but i am not sure how that equates to the cutter and the cutter head is it head 100mm + cutter 20 =120mm ?

Would this machine run up the sizes that you have been proposing?

Wealdens have this on their site would this be suitable

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... 5_312.html

Sorry dont know how to post a pic

I think you may have got your sums wrong :D 1k equals just over 1 /1/4 hp. so by my reckoning your moulder is just over 2hp. So it will be able to run the one you have a link to, I'd get the alloy version imho. it'll be kinder to your machine.

All modern blocks have to be stamped with their max speed rating on the top, so just look at the speed rating on the block and set the machine accordingly.

Just type 1 horsepower in Watts into Google = 1 horsepower = 745.699872 watts, so 1.8kW is about 2.4 hp. Though I think the 1.8 kW is the input into the motor not the power output (I stand to be corrected on this).

Riggly":1nhtjwqb said:
i have just had a look at the machine and i believe that it is a 1.35 HP (1.8kw x .75 = 1.35 HP)
You have indeed got the sums wrong, it should be 1.8kw / 0.75 = 2.4 HP

:oops:

Thanks all for your correct formulas

i am not very bright but i can lift heavy things

Cheers

hi all,

a carpenter who i got friendly with (he joints and planes mahogany for my spearguns) is using an old combi machine. dont remember the name of it.

the other day he wanted to give a mouling shape to a bed head he did in walnut... so his old (car leaf suspension cutters, he says he made them from leaf springs) did not match the pattern so he took his angle grinder out, and with the bench grinder he cut and shaped his new shape knife. i had to go and left..the next day his head was shaped with his new knife...

so in the world where cutters are not easily available one has to improvise (i was amazed as he took care of making the two sides identical and also balanced so as to not shake the spindle apart !!!!

but my question is this. i told him we should look for some cutters on the net, and i asked him and we measured the spindle diameter to be ~35mm . if i was to go on a website to look for blocks cutters etc, what should i be looking for ??? do i need to also get the name of his combo machine?

Thanks,

George

Latest posts

Back