spindle moulder blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I got these in a auction a couple of weeks and they arrived this morning. They are all Leitz or wadkin. The plan is to see what I might need and sell the rest. Does anyone know what these go for. I've had a look on the bay but some of these are pretty big.

a.jpg

From what I can see many are not suitable for Manually fed machines (and a power feed doesnt count as mechanical feed) though I know a lot of guys ignore the regulations :roll:

The disposable knife blocks will use specific knives for the two types.
If there are any "Wadkin" disposable knife blocks its unlikely you will get a decent price as the replacement knives are horrendously expensive. Wadkin used to sell "Oertli" tooling branded with the name Wadkin. See if the knives are 8 mm wide with holes in. I sell 50x8 Oertli for £5.35 each knife as opposed to the 12 mm wide knives now more popular at £2.10. When they were popular years ago I used to "give" customers a new cutterhead using the 12 mm knives and charge them the same price as the Oertli knives for the 12 mm wide ones until they had paid for new head. At £32 a box it didnt take long to pay for the new head.

The Leitz disposables also use 8 mm knives but they have a groove in the face edge. also a bit pricey.

The block, front row fourth from left, looks to be a drip groove head but should have another head that fits with it....could be the one next to it or the one out the back next to the big tenon discs.

The big one right in the middle looks like a "serrated" block (uses 8 mm thick knives with serrations for fitting). Suitable for profiling when used with the correct knives.

Cant make out too much on the far left of the pic.

Fraid to say that even Industrial users wouldnt give too much for them as there are so many around.

Hope that helps a bit (hope you didnt pay too much for them as well)
any questions feel free. ( I have been selling this stuff for 30 years)

Thanks alot for that, I paid £200 is that good or have I learnt one of those lessons.
Mark

Cutting solutions advice sounds spot on to me, many serious accidents happen on the spindle as people use old or illegal tooling. The spindle is a fantastic bit of kit in the right hands and dangerous for the untrained.

Link to the HSE website for more info on suitable blocks for hand fed machines which basically means any machine that does not have interlocked enclosed machine hoods.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/tooling.htm

We offer machine training at our school on classic craft woodworking machines.

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... t_courses/

Cheers Peter

Quite a few of those look fine to me as the block is acting as the limiter . Basicly if the cutter is the same shape as the block then its ok to just have the one set of cutters . If the block isnt the same shape then it needs another set of limiters if used in a commercial workshop .

I agree with jase. It also looks like you've got quite a bit of tenoner tooling so if you can work out what machine it's from you should be able to sell them on ebay for a profit.

Cheers

Jon

Looking at the picture , front to back , left to right .
1 tenoner block ?
2 looks good as a chamfer block but the cutter closest doesnt look quite right .
3,4 are door stops for housewives
5 whitehill block / doorstop but someone will buy it
6 looks ok but its a rubbish picture .
7 same as 2
Spacers never sell them
shims never sell them
8 is good
9 door stop
10 good if you want a massive rebate block
11 good as its limited
12 looks like a whitehill 100mm super block . Very nice .

All just a guess .

If that batch had been sold for that price in Finland the buyer would have made the rest of the forum green with envy. 200 pounds equal the price of just two of those illegal heads......not to mention the prices of the legal ones........thin makes me ponder about shipping costs from the UK.....

I agree with JFC in principle .......... but because of unforgiving economican cirkumstances I regularly use a cutter block with profile knives but without limiters. I do not consider it very unsafe but I plan for making a wooden front guard for those occasions just in case. I also use S-cutters for tennoning on the spindle moulder but as they are protected inside a home made guard I consider them safe even if they have no limiters.
I know some people will say I shouldn't use old tooling and home made guards at all but closing down and starting a new career as social security case is not a good option either.......

Squareheads and clam shell heads are an entirely different case. I don't use them even if I could get any number of them for free. I have been taught as an approximate rule of thumb that a spindle moulder head where the knife is held in place by friction alone is unsafe.

I understand the economic reasoning behind people using old blocks, but my fingers are priceless.
I don’t understand why it’s OK for a hobby woodworker to use kit at home that a professional wood machinist must not - experience and statistics have shown us not to take chances with spindle moulders.
I know of ten good reasons for chip limitation and guarding and I am planning on keeping them, and hope my trainees will as well.
Cheers Peter

Hi all, I have taken some better pics of my haul. Could someone tell me which are good bad or dam right dangerous so to speak. Oh and why? thanks

260120132610.jpg

260120132609.jpg

260120132608.jpg

260120132606.jpg

260120132607.jpg

260120132605.jpg

260120132604.jpg

260120132603.jpg

260120132602.jpg

260120132601.jpg

Does anyone know what these are for

260120132611.jpg