something new and seeking advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
First two photographs are of icecream sticks (Magnums) ,The timber is of very good quality and seems tobe a hardwood. What is it?
and a source?

1w.jpg

2w.jpg

How would you prepare it down to around 3mm thickness and par?

Secondly this new picture displays a box made and given to me this year by an Australian friend (AlexS at the Australian forum box maker section)
Also in photograph are four offcuts of mine from the bandsaw and timber is around 2 to 3mm thick, I shall attempt to make similar boxes but sand down after construction, or have you better ideas?

3w.jpg

Attachments

• 1w.jpg
    1w.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 2,054
  • 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,054
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,054
I've always assumed it to be beech. It's naturally anti-bacterial, I believe.

I, too, would love to know how they get the finish - it woldn't do to have customers with splinters!

[Later]Just found this: https://youtu.be/5Qo3o2oYx0E[/].
... and this one (actual production process): https://youtu.be/Ewu1LddQplY.
Despite the name of the first company, it looks like birch. There's a chap in video #2 slicing it into short logs.

[Even later]I just watched one of the production videos -- it's like something from the nineteenth century.

I daren't think about the accident rate they must have - highly labour intensive (so a lot of unskilled workers around the machines), no machine guards visible anywhere, and apparently not even protective gloves. Knives, stamping cutters, powered feed rollers you could easily get fingers trapped under...

... it isn't for any reason I can fathom apart from absolute maximum throughput, at the expense of the workers.

It's utterly disgusting that this goes on in the 21st century, and the owners are apparently proud of it.

looks like birch to me, not much protection of anything going on in those vids... not even ears.

NazNomad":17sx5erj said:
I love the ''electric chainsaw wheelbarrow'' hybrid. :-D

Did you notice how it kept binding in the cut and stopping the blade! My god the whole operation is horrific.

Matt

DW, if you want a source of similar thin wood, wooden Venetian blinds could be a good source.
I picked one up that had been chucked out. The slats are 50mm wide and 3mm thick, very clear and straight with a nice smooth surface. Pale wood, much like the lolly sticks, but maybe big enough to use for small boxes.

If you can't find one for free, they are pretty cheap to buy.

Thanks Andy.

(I might try my luck at the Pound shop. :) :) :) )

Made a box yesterday with some 4mm sapelle but got a breakout on top rebate edge when cutting the mitres.

undergroundhunter":3dedao37 said:
NazNomad":3dedao37 said:
I love the ''electric chainsaw wheelbarrow'' hybrid. :-D

Did you notice how it kept binding in the cut and stopping the blade! My god the whole operation is horrific.

I wonder how many times they got fed up with the belt slipping before they fitted the chain-drive to it? :-D

Back to the box, found some sapelle timber and cleaned it up to 4mm thickness, put through the router for base rebate and lid. The lid recess broke out at a corner but was able to get away with a slight repair.

box1ww.jpg

box2w.jpg

Attachments

• box1ww.jpg
    box1ww.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,742
  • box2w.jpg
    box2w.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,742
Prepared some more boards, might make a set of three boxes for a jewellery box set.

more prep 4w.jpg

Attachments

• more prep 4w.jpg
    more prep 4w.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,645
Some progress, the project is evolving (on the hoof) and I have at the moment steering towards a jewellery box and some beech has been cut and prepared. the beech section will have two drawers and then a further box at the right hand end.

Pictures. dry run.

6w.jpg

5w.jpg

Attachments

• 5w.jpg
    5w.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,525
  • 6w.jpg
    6w.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,525
A little work more done to drawer section (hand cut 4mm beech).

glued.

7w.jpg

top and drawers next, then another end box to make trio.

Attachments

• 7w.jpg
    7w.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,384
Some more hand work and mitres done on table saw jig. Drawers butt jointed and flush drawer fronts to be added.

drawers butt jointed
8w.jpg

end box made and positioned

9w.jpg

The drawer section to have flush fronted drawers from slab showing..

10w.jpg

Attachments

• 8w.jpg
    8w.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 761
  • 9w.jpg
    9w.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 761
  • 10w.jpg
    10w.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 761
Funny thing that bit if beech I mentioned was flat again Tuesday afternoon. It has been laying around prepared of at least 10 days and seemed stable and just the one day it cupped.

So cut it to size for drawer fronts and glued with Titebond 3 and a few dabs of super glue to hold it whilst setting,

photo

11w.jpg

make some drawer pulls and knobs for the two boxes and nearing the end.

Attachments

• 11w.jpg
    11w.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 712

Latest posts

Back