• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Someone to set up my bandsaw SY S66

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not been on here for a while but I've ditched the Bedford Saw & Tool tyres and fitted some genuine Record Power tyres and it's all working as it should.

Were the non OEM tyres a different material to the Record ones ?
I'm wondering the same, and from what I've read regarding bandsaw tires, I'd doubt it.
Bar urethane, and cork/rubber composites, seemingly there's only one real vulcanized rubber, and everything else is a plastic of sorts in various properties.

Not looked it up, but perhaps Record Power might have a thicker tire compared.
Perhaps one brand a tighter fit on the wheel, I doubt crown profile would be to blame, should both of these be crowned and not mixmatched.

it would be interesting to note should @Raymond UK give us an answer.

Tom

From memory the non-oem tyres where blue urethane and thicker than oem. That made the blade difficult to fit and very hard to track. There was one point on the tilt mechanism where the blade would run with the teeth off the front edge on both wheels. Literally an 1/8th of a turn one way or the other and the blade was off. Once set it was fine for straight cuts but Ray does a lot of curved work and it just kept throwing the blade. The record tyres must have allowed for more adjustment and so the saw is running as before.

@Spectric & @Ttrees

The tyres are the same material by the looks of it. Just rubber but the Bedford ones are a lot thicker than the RP ones. The picture below is a comparison of both. The RP tyre is a used one but not any thinner than the new ones I have fitted.

As I'm really busy this time of year, once I ordered the new tyres downtime was more costly than buying a new machine (Royal Mail strikes etc) I ordered a new RP BS250 which was delivered next day. My old one was out of warranty anyway and this way I could tinker with the old one at my leisure. The old one has now been sold as it's too heavy to get it into the loft to keep as a spare.

The new one doesn't feature many changes. The three metal catches have been replaced by two plastic screw knobs. (nowhere near as quick to get in) The table has a T-track for the mitre fence instead of a straight slot and now actually comes with with a mitre fence.The dust extraction is still POOR as every bandsaw out there but at least an adapter to 100mm is included which seems to work better with my 2hp HVLP compared to a shop vac.

Thanks again to Nigel for popping round and have a frustrating afternoon...

Back