So it's back: Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a new low today, not one, but two contestants using a lathe backwards when doing chuck mounted turning. They were actually standing at the rear of the lathe with the banjo rotated at 180°.

One resulting in the chuck unscrewing and the piece and chuck flying off, the other waiting for the chuck to unscrew whilst using a bowl gouge against the thread. And that under the watchful eye of the ‘experts’ to make sure you’re safe.

Darwin comes to mind.

Last edited:
Yep. One of the first rules we teach beginners is that you don't use a spindle roughing gouge on cross grain, faceplate work or bowls.
At least they have stopped doing the 20 second out of focus thing. Now if we could only teach them to film the action rather than the top of someone's head just because they are talking.

Still not sure what Tanya intended her toy to be. Lucky for her that Sarah failed to finish

Sean

I love this program! Because it gives me an opportunity to rant and rave at the telly! 🤣😂🤣
Though anything that potentially encourages people to try their hand at something new can't be all bad.
Does anyone else also suffer waves of jealousy at all those amazing tools and beautiful timber they have access to?
Finally do you suppose they sell the tools off at the end? If so anyone know where?

Seems like harmless fun. Not particularly instructive but it might motivate some to have a go.
The Repair Shop is much more interesting

Who on here didn't love that little workbench and the wooden tools? what about the teddy bear funfair ride? And the Italian style scooter?
We can scoff and say we'd do better, but in 2 days in an unfamiliar workshop, with constant interruptions I think some of the pieces were beyond acceptable.
Not the bi-plane thing though, that was ****

I think that, if I recall the names correctly, Sarah got a bad deal last night. What she produced wasn't as good as the wheel, the scooter or the work bench but it was better than the aeroplane and the time machine/demented biscuit barrel. Perhaps her character was too ordinary for television?

Watched the first season and was a bit disappointed and didn't realise that a second season was on.
Thought I might catch up with it later but had a quick look to see who the judges are this time. "Two industry titans" apparently, one of whom is an "An award winning woodworker." This is her instagram page, I'm pretty certain they could have found a better judge for the technical side of things. I haven't looked up the designer bloke yet.

I hated how with one of the spoon carvings he said it was not 'contemporary' enough, for a traditional welsh spoon carving challenge, absolutely outrageous and a completely stupid way of judging, they should have been looking for the best quality spoon not how contemporary it was, alas I can honestly say I'm never watching another episode now.

I hated how with one of the spoon carvings he said it was not 'contemporary' enough, for a traditional welsh spoon carving challenge, absolutely outrageous and a completely stupid way of judging, they should have been looking for the best quality spoon not how contemporary it was, alas I can honestly say I'm never watching another episode now.
So I had a google around for him. Can't actually find anything he's designed. Seems to be more of an architectural historian. If he's making comments such as that noted above, I think I'll only be watching it if I fancy ranting about something other than The Rings of Power.

Watched the first season and was a bit disappointed and didn't realise that a second season was on.
Thought I might catch up with it later but had a quick look to see who the judges are this time. "Two industry titans" apparently, one of whom is an "An award winning woodworker." This is her instagram page, I'm pretty certain they could have found a better judge for the technical side of things. I haven't looked up the designer bloke yet.
I looked at her Instagram page and quite honestly most of what she has made looks like tat from a holiday gift shop.

My wife and I watched episodes 2 & 3 yesterday and enjoyed both very much. Yes, you can pick at how it is run and the judges etc. but ultimately it is a consumer show and a bit of fun - instead, we enjoyed seeing the creative responses from the contestants and talking about how I could (or could not!) make similar items...

We felt the right person went home in episode 2 (not finishing in time twice was not ideal and the robot clock face seemed to be very poor quality), but we disagreed with the judges in episode 3 where we felt Tanya's time machine was nowhere near heirloom quality, and didn't seem well made - whereas Sarah's play kitchen while not finished appeared to be made to a much higher quality... we did wonder whether they felt they couldn't send Tanya home after breaking the handles off!

ultimately we enjoy it very much as light entertainment which also sparks off ideas!

I am frustrated and enjoy the show in equal measure. I am particularly frustrated by the state of the bench and vice arrangement used in the technical challenge. Watching them using the planes to create the shavings for the flower had me tutting away like a good un’.

10 mins to sharpen the plane before the challenge and a sturdy bench would have produces a much better result.

…she did say this week"why is there no dust everywhere like in your workshop"!

And did you take the opportunity to say it's because you need to buy so many more tools and machines?

Sean

Latest posts

Back