So it's back: Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Barry. Designers and whittlers they may have been but that hardly qualifies them to judge who the "best woodworker" was. It would have been nice to see professional woodworkers competing, but it was still an interesting program and it would be good to see more like it. The Repair Shop often throws up interesting challenges and I admire some of the skills on show there, especially Steve's handiwork with clockwork mechanisms and the lady who does the ceramic repairs. Whatever the result of the Best Woodworker series, it won't have done Jacob any harm and any employer would be pleased to have him aboard as he has real potential. Cloe was out of her depth, obviously had very little experience or training but still managed to demonstrate some originality and flair and I'd say with some guidance could well excel at joinery.

Hey, the show is airing a few shows behind you guys so don't spoil it for me by saying who won, not that I can't figure it out. The last I watched was the daybed show and I know there are a few more people to "whittle' down before the end. I agree with the useless judges and poor safety practices.

Pete

Overall, I thought that series two was a huge improvement over series one. Mel was still, Mel. Trouble is, every show seems to need a comedian or celebrity in it so as to attract viewers in sufficient numbers.

The two best ones were in the final. The jury is still out for me as to if Lauren or Jacob should have won. On technical skill I'd pick Jacob. As an all-around woodworker who might meet a variety of design briefs, I'd probably say Lauren.

Trouble is, every show seems to need a comedian or celebrity in it so as to attract viewers in sufficient numbers.
It's not just about attracting viewers. It's also crucial to have a proven, reliable talent to present a show. It would be a huge gamble to risk using a complete unknown to present a main channel TV show. Mel is a complete professional on TV and has a great reputation within the industry for looking after contestants and putting them at ease in the stressful situation of being on TV (usually for the first time).

I have to say like many I thought this series was better, don’t always agree with all the decisions but as reality tv goes it’s watchable family entertainment.
I actually think Lauren was the correct choice, based on the final and what we saw. Jacob undoubtedly has lots of talent and I thought from early on would be the winner, but I think Lauren adjusted well and finished her piece in the final, also her commitment to no nails or screws was admirable and she didn’t compromise that principle, and as others said she had some of the best designs and Tom is a designer!

Padster!

You're right but the thread started out with comments about the judges, tools and safety before changing to projects and contestants.

Pete

For me Jacob was head and shoulders above the rest and was the clear winner, he had much more skill and capabilities for me the design is second the quality of the woodworking is first and most important part of which he was by far the best.

For me Jacob was head and shoulders above the rest and was the clear winner, he had much more skill and capabilities for me the design is second the quality of the woodworking is first and most important part of which he was by far the best.
Yet he over reached and didn’t deliver on more than one occasion. As far as the show went Lauren was the right winner.

I can’t agree that wood working skills beat design ability. If your design skills are useless all the making skills in the world can only make your design.
I would have really liked to see the designs before production.
By design skills of course I mean construction detailing as well a form, function and appearance.

depends what you want to do? we live in a post modernist design focused world sadly, where skills and making ability is overlooked, both are very important, if you can do both then you're doing something right.

The BBC has an article on Jacob and it sounds like he is doing very well with commissions since appearing on the show

Sean
One of the contestants in series 1 (Here) - Radha - was at the Harrogate show this year, he was working for a company that was selling what seemed to be a small angle grinder for carving wood - he was pretty good at it.

Latest posts

Back