Series 3: Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... same scenario applies to hotel - strictly speaking it's pronounced "an otel" as it's a French derivative word where in many instances the h is silent.
that was my understanding too, all to do with the archaic french and latin forms.

I've really enjoyed watching Leo Winstanley on YouTube. Search for
hand i craft
if you are interested.
It's amazing what he makes in his own workshop considering he only has one working arm. Total respect.
Also www.hand-i-craft.com

Is this a woodworking or pedantry thread??!!
I must admit I haven't watched any of it this time round, but when I was channel surfing last night it showed up. Programme details said something about contestants making a kitchen island and an accessory to compliment it. Oh, I thought, that's challenging. A sentient talking wooden item. Or did they mean complement?

(Still waiting for an answer from Focus DIY but I doubt I'll get one now. They sold me some finials, the packaging of which claimed that they would compliment my rails and curtains, but they haven't said a word in 20+ years)

Last edited:
I must be missing something - why?
I think he must be so prejudiced that the lad admitted having autism he couldn't see past that.

It was a tight decision between Nathanael and Jen, but the judges mentioned that the back of her island hadn't been finished. There were also some clear mistakes on the slating on her island, whereas Nathanael's only mistake, to my eyes, was having to use an ugly brass hinge on his doors. Overall he did a better job.

You’d assume a modicum of training on the tools they were using even if just for safety.

I think he must be so prejudiced that the lad admitted having autism he couldn't see past that.

It was a tight decision between Nathanael and Jen, but the judges mentioned that the back of her island hadn't been finished. There were also some clear mistakes on the slating on her island, whereas Nathanael's only mistake, to my eyes, was having to use an ugly brass hinge on his doors. Overall he did a better job.
Revealing autism is fraught with danger and can completely screw up your chances with a lot of people.

I really wish you were wrong on that one Adam...

I think the right person won this one as well. I'd argue it was also the most practical, plenty of space to sit at and nicely finished. Also nice and easy to incorporate into a normal kitchen design/layout.

The others were hideously impractical; one you'd smash your knees into and had a lot of wasted space underneath, the other with that angly top you'd need a f***-off big kitchen to be able to walk round it properly if you'd put cabinets/worktops on all the walls, making a very inefficient use of space in the room (...or am I just overthinking that?)

Back