Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldsoke":1p3dux5m said:
Luv that Laburnum Chas 8)

Seem to remember you waxing lyrical about Laburnum on occasions before Graham :lol: hopefully there will be a few more bits recieving a once over with the gouge soon as I dug under the lathe bench today and decided it was about time it had a clear out, there could be all sorts of wierd and wonderful little bits coming to light, already reached saturation point on pencil holder pots in all the work areas today, just a case of dribbling items out of the shop without a certain someone noticing that they are congregating in the odd corner. :whistle:

Two of me favourite woods their Chas,even though i've only turned a couple of Laburnam.Just love the colour of the Yew :D

I've had some Yew cut up now for a time in storeage,and it as kept the colour when cut,but the pieces i've turned have all gone that deep orangey colour.
Is it the finish that's been put on that as caused it to go the Orangey colour :?:

Paul.J":t501hgf5 said:
Is it the finish that's been put on that as caused it to go the Orangey colour :?:

More likely exposure to UV light I think Paul. Although having said that the pieces I have just unearthed from under the bench have turned a bright, almost cerise red, on the exposed to air surfaces and they have been out of the direct light.

CHJ":xgm4o67g said:
... without a certain someone noticing that they are congregating in the odd corner. :whistle:

:wink: Sailing close to the wind again :lol:

oldsoke":14fj7hg1 said:
:wink: Sailing close to the wind again :lol:

Well we had sort of gone into a 'only making them for export' mode for a while whilst doing a few other odd jobs Graham, which seems to have met with a favorable wind, but as a certain someone is spending about 6 hrs a week at the local gym at the moment I thought perhaps I could sneak a few in. (I did empty and reload the washing machine during todays session after all O:) )

All nice,but the cherry bowl goes down as my favourite out of todays production - lovely shape,curve and finish,and the undercut rim finishes the look of it off beautifully :D

Andrew

Only a real man knows how to work a washing machine... and one with the nous to know it's max brownie points in the bank :lol:

I've even started to do the washing up...

'cos I'm too mean to buy a machine :shock:

I turned my first piece of laburnum the other day and it was a real pleasure. Perhaps if I take a walk around town with some

'These trees are lethal to small children Call if you want it cut down for free' leaflets I can get some more :?:

The yew I got from you seems to be mainly red & white Paul. I'll put some up when IO've turned it.

Pete

P.S. My missus tells me to get out from under her feet and go to the shed. Trick is to keep helping and getting in the way until they are fed up with it.

__________click on image for larger view

_________
____________________Elm

Yes the figuring on the Elm is quite spectacular Andrew, I have several odd shaped pieces recovered from the slab I was given that I keep mulling over for inspiration, very reluctant to turn even the smaller pieces into shavings, I think some of it will end up as contrast highlights.

Have to agree Chas that the Elm your using looks gorgeous,and i can see how reluctant you are to turn it away :(
Another nice piece.Are you working to a pattern on these items :?:

Paul.J":307do79p said:
.....Are you working to a pattern on these items :?:

Yes Paul, as I have a fair quantity to do against an order I have set myself up with a standard approach and aiming dimensions, that's not to say they don't vary a few mm. but I keep the overall length and the internal components fairly close so that I know the clearances will be good and they fit on a mandrel for final external turning. The pieces at the back are wet turned cores at final drying stage.

DSC02779.JPG

CHJ wrote
The pieces at the back are wet turned cores at final drying stage.
Are these meths dried Chas,or just dried naturally :?:

Paul.J":12j04ayb said:
...Are these meths dried Chas,or just dried naturally :?:
Just naturally Paul, turned wet 1st wk in Feb. left in the shed for a couple of weeks then indoors near the boiler, checked moisture below meter reading level last Friday, now leaving finished pieces a few days to see if they move significantly before i prepare any others. (blanks had gone about 4mm out of round whilst drying)

__________click on images for larger view

_________ ___

_________ Glad it was not my car carrying it,
_________ as a matter of interest the split piece with the axe leaning against it weighs 44.5 kilos.

CHJ wrote
as a matter of interest the split piece with the axe leaning against it weighs 44.5 kilos.
Is that just for half the log Chas :shock:
Have you turned any of it yet Chas :?:

That Willow i got a few weeks back as got new shoots sprouting out of it :shock:

Must be nice to have people deliver stuff like that for you - once more,the colour is quite amazing :shock:

Andrew

Paul.J":1iooxue2 said:
Is that just for half the log
Just under 2/3 of the original piece.
Have you turned any of it yet
No that will not be for some time Paul, have quite a bit of drier stuff from last year to use up first. Had enough trouble trying to man handle it into storage today without further preparation for turning.

That Willow i got a few weeks back as got new shoots sprouting out of it
If you lay some of it on the soil or lawn it will root in a couple of weeks, most poplars will do the same.

PowerTool":1iooxue2 said:
Must be nice to have people deliver stuff like that for you - once more,the colour is quite amazing
There is an ulterior motive Andrew, they want more finished pieces, I am hoping the colour holds good and creosol aroma dies down when dried, I may prepare a piece that arrived in Feb. to see if it is worth the storage space and drying time.

_________ ___

__________________ Yew _____________________330 mm

Back