Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul.J":214mlzei said:
.........Did you know it was Ash,was it labeled.

No labels Paul, hence the question mark, but judging by the way it turns and looking at is alongside other obvious Ash in the bin and back home I would say that is the most likely candidate, on the point of going rotten with whatever coloured it, just one or two very soft spots.

Looks like 'Olive Ash' to me Chas. Usually comes from the heart wood of a big old Ash.

Yet what ever, it's a nice piece of coloured/figured timber.

That Ash (?) is special. I have a couple of days off next week (1/2 term) guess where I will be going and digging around. (I know it means buying wood :oops: ](*,) but it's off cuts & rejects so it counts)

At the moment I have a large pile of wet freshly cut beech and some iroko so I need some wood to feed the urge. :lol:

Pete

_________ ___
______________Coloured Beech___________________(186mm)

Paul.J":1glj7s2b said:
.......What causes the Beech to colour like this and not spalt :?:

I don't know Paul, it may be down to concentration of naturally occuring Cresols but I have never detected any distinctive smell associated with it in Beech which I would have expected.

_________ ___
_______________Beech (123mm)_______________Beech (183mm)

bwlossie":2rltvj05 said:
Chas,
Do you use a light box for your photos?
Only very slight shadows! Been wondering if I should make one.

Sort of but it would be rather a large project it's a north facing conservatory I built about 20 years ago :lol:

Hence the differing colour casts in my pics. dependant on the natural light conditions.

Do try to adjust the item colour on my monitor at times to match my visual perception but this often throws the background out, I only use the still facility on my camcorder so only have limited control of colour balance.

Should really make a light box myself but went through the photo' thing many years ago (that obsession lasted about 40yrs) and don't particularly want to revisit it, although a white background not prone to differing colour reflection casts would be sensible.

Nice pens Chas! :D

They do look special. Never tried them myslef but fancy a go, as I do have quite a few friends who are a bit 'wordy' and they are very nice!!! =D>

_________ ___ ___

__________Next task to make the Auger to go with it.

Yes Pete, made that and a supermarket bag full of metal swarf.

Steel was a bit of 2"dia. stuff cut from a Hay Bale lifting Tine that one of my local farming friends donated, somewhat of a high carbon content, look at it the wrong way and it work hardens tougher than the lathe tools.

Another 2 nice looking bowls Chas. :D
I like the rims on all.
The colouring looks similar to the Horse Chestnut pieces i've been doing lately.
Looks like you will have to start a metalworking page with all that your doing :lol:

_________ ___
____________________Elm_______________________(172mm)

You are definitley on a bowl roll Chas. Careful or you will have a certain little lady making comments about 'dust' again or dfo these all have a destination beyond the shelves.

(Mind you if Diane got rid of some of those books think of how many more you could get up there :twisted: )

Pete

Latest posts

Back