Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is catching I started one the other day, that came from others on line as well. :)

Isnt the internet wonderful. \:D/

john

Ive seen some of those on other forums where the plug shaped lid is from the same piece as the base.
Question: how is the lid turmed or cut from the base ?
No doubt easy to dobut I cant see how :oops:
beejay

Sorry Chas, Bill and I had a chat on the phone days ago and he mentioned the toothpick holder. Wanted to know how they got the grain match on the top so good, yet keeping the lid fit reasonably tight.

This was my method:-

Tam":3rzh10s8 said:
Mornin' Bill.

Just saw your post about the top of the above. Sorry I forgot you had asked me about it. There are probably a few ways to do it so the grain matches, how I did it was to mount the blank in a chuck. Turn a short stub on the end to the size you want your lid to be, drill a small hole in the centre (to take the thin spigot on the centre shaft, and to glue the finial onto). Then part off the top of the stub using a thin parting tool.

This piece is your lid, now all you do is drill down through with a fostner bit, slightly smaller than your lid dia. so as you can turn a small recess for the lid to sit in. Make all the other pieces and stick together.

Good luck.

I can't seem to keep the toothpick between centers to finish them off !!!!

:D

Sharpen the tips on your centres Loz. :twisted: :roll:

_________ ___
______________Yew & Cocobola________________(125mm High)

Another nice one Chas :D
You will have to do one of your How to's with plenty of piccys.That's if you have the time of course.

This toothpick holder thread has given me an idea :idea: . The other day, my missus dropped all of her larger sewing needles on the carpet (a heavily pattered one which meant feeling for the lost needles, ouch). She asked me if I could turn a needle holder for her, so rather rashly I said yes without thinking about it. Now I have an idea :idea: how to turn one. Thanks for the thread.
Just got to finish of the modification to the lathe so I can get started .

And buy her a magnet just in case :lol:

You'll need to keep the cup a good fit in the bore (dry wood) to avoid needles wedging in the gap, also chamfer the inner face of the cup to encourage the needles to slip towards the centre.

Needles wedging in normal use may not be a problem but someone is sure to tip the thing up to look at the bottom and they could settle anywhere.

And by her a magnet just in case

You'll need to keep the cup a good fit in the bore (dry wood) to avoid needles wedging in the gap, also chamfer the inner face of the cup to encourage the needles to slip towards the centre.

We did use a magnet to 'sweep' the carpet, eventually :oops: and I did wonder if I could incorporate a small magnet at the bottom of the cup, or to to turn a second ring half way up the stem and then bore some holes in it to keep the needles from falling out when the insert is lifted.

An alternative design would be to have the needles in an insert cup that is about 3/4 the length of the lid, which would be another cup, a bit like a lipstick holder.

Anyone noticed that when thinking of solutions to design problems, we, or at least I, nearly always start off think of complicated designs, before suddenly thinking of a really simple and effective solution.

_________ ___ ___
__________________(148mm)_____________________(275mm)____________________(147mm)

luv the 148mm Chas, especially the end grain figuring... there's something about oak that hits my 'w' spot

woodturners don't have 'g' spots :lol:

You have seen the 275 piece of wood before Graham :lol: , found it very dry and dusty to turn with totally different figuring to the other stock pieces.

Think the 148mm one is also my favourite;however,the wide undercut rim on the 275mm one is also very visually appealing :D

Andrew

_________ ___ ___
________________Oak (173mm)_________________Coloured Ash?__________________(177mm)

Back