Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks really nice Chas :D
Another nice piece of Yew.
Do you drill and plug the holes before you turn the piece :?:
All it needs now is a big hand and a little hand :lol:

Paul.J":2v64cnlu said:
Do you drill and plug the holes before you turn the piece :?:

Yes Paul, just have to judge the depth of the plugs so that they stay within the shaping and any drilling blemishes on the blank are cleared by the turning.

Paul.J":2v64cnlu said:
All it needs now is a big hand and a little hand :lol:

Didn't have the Time to do that.

______________Beech (267mm)

Bodrighy":3mchz0hs said:
...Unusual colour for beech perhaps?
Pete

Yes I was surprised when I started turning it Pete, don't know if it is plain old English Beech because of the source, guess something has been going on in the log whilst it has been stashed under my bench. Not quite so orange in reality, the shellac finish and lighting warmed it up a bit.

Very nice - quite amazing colour and grain pattern for beech.
If that's been in stock for a couple of years,and we all know the rate you can make things,just how much timber do you have..? :lol:

Andrew

_____________Laburnum (80mm)

At first glance I thought that you had taken up making chocolates :lol: Keep this up and you are going to have to look out for miniature nightlights and use even smaller pieces of wood.

Pete

Very nice looking pieces - is it just decoration on the top,or have they got some sort of liner in that the tea-lights are sat in ?

Andrew

PowerTool":21o2wnqy said:
Very nice looking pieces - is it just decoration on the top,or have they got some sort of liner in that the tea-lights are sat in ?

Andrew

Yes they have glass liners in Andrew, they reflect the light a little around the edge and add to the effect..

Paul.J":35t6ppdo said:
Are they all from one piece of Les or all off cuts.

Made from 3 of 100mm dia X 100mm long mini logs Paul, (from same branch) been drying under the lathe bench for a couple of years. (having a clear out to see what is under there :lol: )

_________
_________Not really any use should I be tempted to follow in oldsokes footsteps but they made an interesting project today.
_________
_________ ____click on image for larger view

_________Chestnut Handles, 660mm total length, 3/16" SQ HSS tool bits.

Nice job Chas (on the tools :wink: )

any reason why you didn't use round stock?

oldsoke":ue12y893 said:
.......any reason why you didn't use round stock?

Just my engineering curiosity showing Graham, want to try them as square stock to see how they perform held flat on the rest , may even provide a captive rest to hold them in that plane, (shades of metal work principles) If they don't perform then I can always turn them into round stock.

Paul, yes for hollowing, need to find a project to use them on now.

I made a couple of similar tools but out of round stock. I didn't bother with the wooden handle though so I can fit them in to my Munro tool handle which is longer than your wooden ones appear. This way I have more leverage when turning with more overhang.
The other advantage is that you can vary the angle at which the tool cuts and can roll into cuts to find the best angle.

Duncan

Back