Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_________ ___

______________Yew (153mm)_______________Coloured Beech (198mm)

Hi Chas, couple of 'bonny' bowls there. Like the little bits of detail, like the groove on the Yew, and especially the hollowing on the rim of the Beech. Sets them off just right.

Hi Tam, doesn't show much on the Yew pic. but that is a shallow cove at the bottom of the groove with a vee notch each side to highlight.

(stopped the hollowing at 3mm wall on the groove)

Both pieces hollowed out with the tools above just to get a feel for how they perform.

Not a perfect finish by any means but good enough that a kiss with the gouge or shear scrape was all that was needed.

The rim on the Beech developed as a means of trying to retain as much figuring as possible.

oldsoke":3jzv1j5r said:
.... simply good :!:

Yes Graham, it was rather a shallow bark on piece and I took it down just far enough to get rid of the bark, had thought when starting to put a bead or other trim around the outer top but the classic curve that developed looked too good on the lathe to interfere with.

Paul, just cut back sealer and WoodWax22.

Both very nice,but the shape of the beech one combined with the rim just draws your eyes into it :D

Andrew

_________
________________Rosewood

__________Some things call Stanley D (USA) whatever they are.

CHJ":1piota97 said:
Some things call Stanley D (USA) whatever they are.
If they are in your way I will sent a jiffy bag and some stamps, you could post them off to me for safe keeping. :roll: :wink:

Nice handles Chas. \:D/

Chas, - I just love that coloured beech bowl up there.... lovely piece. 8)
And what a terrific job on those chisel-handles.... forgive me if its a daft question, did you do them 'individually' or use a copy-attachement ?
They look to be a superb job... I tried to make two egg-cups the same, and to be honest, even the chicken would have laughed.
Great work, and as ever - an inspiration !

:D

DaveL":2gh4rix5 said:
If they are in your way I will sent a jiffy bag and some stamps, you could post them off to me for safe keeping. :roll: :wink:

Sorry Dave I delivered them to the owner on Tuesday :lol:

Jenx":2gh4rix5 said:
.... did you do them 'individually' or use a copy-attachement ?

Done individually Alun, actually an interesting exercise as there were three different socket sizes with a need to blend for an apparent match in shape.

_________ ___

___________________Elm________________________(320mm)

Another lovely looking piece of Elm Chas.Great colour :D
Did you manage to use your bowl saver with this piece,was it deep enough :?:

Paul.J":3haui0pg said:
Another lovely looking piece of Elm Chas.Great colour :D
Did you manage to use your bowl saver with this piece,was it deep enough :?:

No and yes Paul, No I could not use it as the wood was too tough for me to manage, had I continued beyond the first inch every indication was that something was going to break so I chickened out and yes it would have been deep enough for a shallow dish or platter.

Great job on those handles Chas, some really tidy work in copying. Like the bowl to, just wish I could get my hands on some Elm, it's like rocking horse droppings where I am. :lol:

_________ ___

________________Elm (180mm)__________________Elm (268mm)

Back