Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul.J":1cvcfc1j said:
....You should have turned one thin to see how that would go.:

On the 'to do' list Paul with another offcut.

Paul.J":1cvcfc1j said:
....Did those cracks disapear :?: .....

The 'cracks' if that is what they are (radial white lines) are still there and appear to be running the length of the logs (3ft's the longest)

Yep,it's one helluva piece of ivy :lol: - like the shape of the bowl,though;hope it stays together.

Andrew

PowerTool":jehj97fw said:
Yep,it's one helluva piece of ivy :lol: .....

There's another 20 ft or so of it still in the tree, needs a climbing harness to get at it though, might be worth the effort in a couple of years time if it does not come down in a storm.
Farming friend is re-fencing his boundaries and having a good sort out of all the adjacent stands of trees and small copse's, the odd hazel and silver birch burr has also arrived on the doorstep of late.

_________ ___

_______________Elm ( 163mm)___________________Elm (145mm)

Your selection of burr elm must have been pretty large as well.. :wink:

Both nice pieces (as always) but the second one edges in as favourite - the shape is slightly different,and the shallow sweeping look shows off the beauty of the timber itself better :D

Gym ? - what sort of turning do they do there..? :lol:

Andrew

You must have been overwhelmed when you were given all this lovely looking wood :lol:
Another 2 nice pieces.Are these the cores from any of the other larger pieces :?:

PowerTool":1l9dm2rc said:
Gym ? - what sort of turning do they do there..?
Andrew

Hopefully me into a fitter individual. :lol:

Paul.J":1l9dm2rc said:
..Are these the cores from any of the other larger pieces :?:

The shallow (145mm) one was salvaged Paul, will try for bigger pieces next time but was not sure that the burr piece would stand the forces involved.

Slim":1lp1psh2 said:
I love this one ....... Very pleasing shape.

Quite pleased with it myself, as that piece had little or no burr element I was able to turn it much thinner and get a good undercut to the rim.

Both pieces were turned as 'trials' using the square shanked 'oland' tools, which incidently perform well, material removal is rapid but involves little finesse as there is no bevel contact as such to support the cutting edge, requiring the use of a shear scraper to clean up any torn fibres.
I have made a 'Gate' for the tool rest to keep the tools, in particular the angled one, from twisting in use so reducing the hand power needed to control it. (forgot pic. will post tomorrow)

_________ ___ ___

____________The Control Gate___________Controlling twist on angled tool____Straight tool with lathe in reverse.

Some more nice metalwork there Chas.
Was this in mind when you made the tools :?:
Never tried cutting in reverse.What's the advantage of doing so :?:
Who or what is Oland :?

Paul.J":1lw89a4r said:
.....Was this in mind when you made the tools :?:
Yes Paul, I can never rationalize the need to use body strength to hold something when a simple support will do the same.
Never tried cutting in reverse.What's the advantage of doing so :?:
You can see what you are doing on hollow forms without having to lean over the machine or tool.

WARNING: It is essential for safety reasons that if considering using a chuck in reverse it is locked to the spindle with a set screw. If a none secured chuck breaks from its friction hold it will take less than a second to leave the spindle.

.....Who or what is Oland :?

Paul, it is a simple tool devised by the late Knud Oland.

See this link which shows the making of a round stock version, the advantage of round stock is that it may be easier to use the tool in shear cut mode, in practice I find that the square section tools used without the 'Gate' can be manipulated just as easily because the loads are not great in shear mode.

Thanks for the link Chas.Still beyond my very limited metalwork skills i'm afraid :roll:
And thanks for the warning/reminder.I'd completely forgot about the locking screw :roll:

_________
_________ ___ ___

___________________Ash_____________________175-210mm dia.

Unusual piece Chas seeing so much chunky bark left on.
Do you have to do anything to the bark to make it stay on.
I think you are slowly been converted to Petes style :D

OK that#s it. Now I am going to have to make some bowls etc without bark holes etc. :lol: Seriously that is a nice piece.

As Paul said did you treat the bark or strike lucky wirth it. Usually I find that unless it's wet wood the bark tends to flake.

Pete

Paul,Pete, the bark is as supplied. The piece of Ash was delivered last night having been rescued from a 3 year old wood pile (dry stored), no sign of it moving during turning so I don't think it is going to let go any time soon.

Sent it on it's way back to owner of the woodpile this afternoon.

_________ ___

___________Spalted Beech (205mm)___________Spalted Birch(137mm)

_________ ___

_______________Birch (130mm)___________Local Hedgerow Elm (140mm)

All nice stuff,love the colour/pattern of the spalted beech :D

Is the inside of the birch natural colouring? Seems a lot darker than the outside (nice contrast)

Andrew

Back