Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dean":2eyrzhxr said:
...Is the colour natural?
Yes Dean, sycamore colours readily naturally, usually to dirty unattractive grey if care is not taken drying it. This particular tree had some damage and fungal growth which caused the brown staining.
Rapid (10-15 days) initial drying managed to retain the brown without the grey developing.

_________ ___

_______________Laburnum & Ash___________Laburnum, Cherry & Hazel

Which wood is the really dark bowl at the back Chas? love the colour! I don't remember turning anything 'uk' that dark, so is that Laburnum? or the hazel :?:

Chas, when you turn the candle holders do you make the recess a tight fit or with a little slack. They look lovely I try to make some that take little glass inserts and I always allow a little slack in case the glass gets too hot am I doing the right thing. Regards Boysie

I also leave a little slack in them, not just for heat and shrinkage and possible need replacing if the get chipped, but because they can be taken out to clean if they get splashed with wax.

All very nice pieces;for some reason,find the curved shape of the middle tea-light holder particularly appealing :D

Andrew

Paul.J":31dbziil said:
That Laburnum piece does look unusually dark,doesn't it :?
What finish have you used :?:
It is a crotch piece with lots of branch endgrain Paul, sealer and Woodwax22.

boysie39":31dbziil said:
... do you make the recess a tight fit...
No, I use glass inserts and leave them an easy (tapered hole) fit in case the wood moves.

PowerTool":31dbziil said:
...for some reason,find the curved shape of the middle tea-light holder particularly appealing ..
D**m, have to make some more similar now, you just earned me a "told you so"

_________ ___ ___

_____________Elm Burr ( 100mm)________________Ash (93mm)_________________Cherry (102mm)

Same here - all have lovely grain and colour. :D
Where do you get the glass inserts from?

Andrew

PowerTool":29apmh6j said:
Where do you get the glass inserts from?

Shhh not to loud, IKEA Glimma in packs of 12, about 12p each I think.

They are a little larger than some I have bought in Germany but they don't look too bad in use.

For some reason they are marked as " 2cm (1") " which is a bit out, even more so as they are in actual fact 49mm dia X 24mm deep (ext.)

_________ ___ ___

_____________Beech (185mm)_________________Elm (131mm)__________________Cherry (190mm)

_________ ___ ___

_____________Cherry (140mm)________________Cherry (132mm)____________________Bases

_________ ___

_________________Bases______________________Elm Burr

See your doin' some bowls for a change Chas, and some nice looking ones too.

I think we're going to have to try to educate you into the gentle art of spindle turning one of these days. :lol: ](*,)

TEP":1bpxk75t said:
I think we're going to have to try to educate you into the gentle art of spindle turning one of these days. ....

I can Handle that Tam.

Back