Shop vac auto-on switch...where from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 shop vacs, one has the socket on the side so you can plug in your power tool into the vac. When you activate the tool, it then activates the vac. The other vac is an older one which doesn't have this facility. I have just spotted that Rockler do a gizmo that performs this task, a sort of double plug that you plug the vac and tool into, but obviously it is designed for American sockets.

Has anyone seen this type of thing in the UK? It seems to me that it would be simple enough to manufacture and would have many uses.

EDIT: I've just scoured Ebay with no joy. I Googled it and it brought me the American Rockler i-Socket110m. I then followedd a link onto Amazon where it had sold in America and there were mixed reviews with one guy having got his money back after two had failed within a short time. Massive hole in the market here guys.

powertools":61hkdagg said:
I use a Masterplug ENERGY SAVING MASTER/SLAVE ADAPTOR from B&Q works very well.

That's great thanks. I just spent 20 minutes I'll never see again, looking at the entire contents of the B&Q website. The search engine is abysmal so not much chance of coming up with it. Do you have a link at all?

I can't find on the B&Q site but the item I use is a Masterplug part number MSRGMS3 and I guess they have it in store as will most of the big stores.
A google search for that number brings up results.
http://www.nexusinds.com/masterplug/uk/ ... wer-energy
Be aware that many of the sockets that come in packs of 3 are remote control sockets and are not what you are looking for

Thanks guys, getting closer. That link looks like the thing 'Powertool'.

Woody, I've had a look but no matter what I put in the search box nothing comes up, any suggestions what it might be called. I put master & slave in Google.....sweet Jesus!!!!!

That's a very complicated expensive option.

Like others I hav been using a master / slave extension meant for computer equipment. 3 years now on my shop vac and SMS with no problems.

There was a DIY rip-off clone design of the AXI floating abaht....cost 20% of what theirs did..... :-"

PM me if you can't find it here or on the Shaven; I think I saved it....

Sam

Thanks guys for all your input. I think I've got it sussed now. The computer gizmo's are easy enough to source. I'll call at Maplins later and see what they've got. Their website doesn't come up with it when searched, prolly called something else. I've just discovered Sainsbury's sell them.

If the Axi version was the only one I think I'd continue pressing both on-off switches!

Grayorm":3356d60q said:
Thanks guys for all your input. I think I've got it sussed now. The computer gizmo's are easy enough to source. I'll call at Maplins later and see what they've got. Their website doesn't come up with it when searched, prolly called something else. I've just discovered Sainsbury's sell them.

I'd check power ratings on any computer stuff before purchase, not many computer peripherals will use a lot of power.

Jim

A year or two ago I was asked by a friend to make him a gadget such as this. It worked well and still does. If enough of you are interested, say half a dozen, and you can compose a wish list of desirable features, we can have a look at producing a Mk.2 which should suit everyone. Sadly, the price would probably be the wrong side of £50, but that's a lot cheaper than the Axminster version.

Timlitton":29uxii7p said:
A year or two ago I was asked by a friend to make him a gadget such as this. It worked well and still does. If enough of you are interested, say half a dozen, and you can compose a wish list of desirable features, we can have a look at producing a Mk.2 which should suit everyone. Sadly, the price would probably be the wrong side of £50, but that's a lot cheaper than the Axminster version.

More than it's worth as a time saver I'm afraid. Thanks anyway but not for me. :(

Back