Shop vac auto-on switch...where from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the ability to post photos is only available after a certain number of posts.

Do have a check of the rules if you are even thinking about marketing your product on this forum. The mods are very hot on this. Been there done it, got the teashirt

thanks for your help I have looked into all the laws regarding EICC conformity and this product is safe I have used company manufactured circuits I would love to post photos I wanted something like this for over 20 years but they didn't exist once I can post photos I will show you and save all workshop diy-ers a lot of money... kev

I’d be interested in one of these with a decent power rating, Kev what’s the rating of the one you’ve developed?

hi Adam hi have built this unit from a shop bought circuit and put in an enclosure with a master socket and a slave socket the total advertised rating is 3100 watts I have built in a 10 amp reset button giving a safe output of 2300 watts approx. this will avoid having to replace the internal thermal fuse which is soldered direct to the board or changing the fuse in the plug I will be upgrading this reset to 12 amps in the near future giving a total safe output of around 2760 watts it can be used with a flying lead or can be wall mounted and connected directly into a suitable mains circuit the first one I built nine months ago has been running my 760 watt radial saw and my 1000 watt vac without any issues its a pleasure to switch on my saw and know the vac will start automatically easy it also has vac overrun circuit incorporated which keeps the vac running for a few seconds after the saw is switched off . Hope this helps....kev

kwh":19o3dfq6 said:
hi Adam hi have built this unit from a shop bought circuit and put in an enclosure with a master socket and a slave socket the total advertised rating is 3100 watts I have built in a 10 amp reset button giving a safe output of 2300 watts approx. this will avoid having to replace the internal thermal fuse which is soldered direct to the board or changing the fuse in the plug I will be upgrading this reset to 12 amps in the near future giving a total safe output of around 2760 watts it can be used with a flying lead or can be wall mounted and connected directly into a suitable mains circuit the first one I built nine months ago has been running my 760 watt radial saw and my 1000 watt vac without any issues its a pleasure to switch on my saw and know the vac will start automatically easy it also has vac overrun circuit incorporated which keeps the vac running for a few seconds after the saw is switched off . Hope this helps....kev

Hi Kev, I assume you intend to market this device?

Kev, colour me VERY interested, but, like Noel, I'd like more info. Are you offering details here to members so that they may build their own?** Or, are you baiting our appetites with a view to selling us your product? Or, do you have plans to launch this commercially to the wider world?

Sam, curious. :wink:

** In which case, I'll PM you my email address yesterday! :D

The Dutch unit linked earlier is still available, and looks very interesting, I'm minded to get a couple and try them out - €15 is pretty reasonable, and I like the idea of flying it inside my own choice of enclosure/socket so I can mount directly to a machine.

No time delay though, so Kevs design still sounds very interesting...

Hi Setch thanks for your interest as a thought I was thinking of selling my product for around £45 including delivery if anyone is interested when I know how to I will upload photos and details.... kev

kwh":3w33f2fw said:
Hi Setch thanks for your interest as a thought I was thinking of selling my product for around £45 including delivery if anyone is interested when I know how to I will upload photos and details.... kev

Hi Kevin, has it been independently tested, CE compliant/certificate of conformity? Do you have liability insurance? Trading Standards informed?
If not you are putting yourself in a very precarious position.

Hi all products installed in the unit are CE compliant they have just been in a safe pvc enclosure at the moment I am just testing the water for interest if necessary I will do everything by the book E.G. independent testing ,liability insurance and so on I take your advise very seriously thanks...kev

kwh":28n81pxb said:
Hi all products installed in the unit are CE compliant they have just been in a safe pvc enclosure at the moment I am just testing the water for interest if necessary I will do everything by the book E.G. independent testing ,liability insurance and so on I take your advise very seriously thanks...kev

Kevin, sorry you do not seem to understand that just because you consider the components CE compliant does not mean the finished article is any way compliant and not just to CE standards.
I was hoping you were here to share your ideas with forum members rather than promoting something which without many. many thousands of legal compliance is essentially a danger to the public.
If you want to possibly lose your job, home and at worst your freedom because of a fault resulting in damage, injury or worse you'll have to have very deep pockets.

Thanks for your reply I understand fully what you are saying therefore I will not be selling this product until it is fully tested and certificated thanks...kev

Setch, could you please clarify 'the dutch unit @ €15' please? Do you mean the Kemo one? I'd love to install one at that price.
Thank you, Sam.

Thanks Setch. Maplin used to carry it before they folded, but not at such a good price.
Sam, watching the Scottish celts walloping the Irish Celts :(

Kev, It looks to me that you are essentially boxing up a commercial unit and this will still have the drawbacks of the core unit.
By this I mean the trigger current will be limited by the makers and more importantly the output switching capability will be limited to less than many dust collectors need to start them.
It appears from your glib calculations from current capability and watts, that you are not aware (or are hiding) the complexities of AC circuits, power factor and most seriously inrush starting current. Forgive me if I have misjudged your knowledge. I do not set out to offend.
If you want a truly useful product for the widest range of applications, the input needs to have a tolerance for short term currents of 30-40 amp and if you can't manage this, suitability to have a current transformer fitted on the input so that is can. In this way your unit will comfortably rated for big saws and planers up to say 3HP and running on 16/32 amp supplies. On the output side you really need a volt-free (ie isolated contacts) and a 3 wire interface to feed to DOL starter contactors that many of us have with our dust collectors. For these purposes the current rating can be very low as you are only driving the starter coils in the DOL starter. For use with vacuum cleaner type collectors, relay type contacts with 16 amp rating will be fine.

So thats the requirement side of things.
Then as Noel and others have mentioned there is the product liability minefield. Simply getting approvals does not remove all responsibility from the vendor. Maybe consider the relatively small outlay for the safety buffer of a limited company?

Finally what I was trying to allude to earlier are the commercial sensitivities of this forum. This forum covers all its costs (and maybe? a little more) by taking advertising and to be fair to their paying customers, they don't like members effectively getting free advertising by marketing their products in the forum pages. This is quite fair and reasonable, it's Charley's site and the moderators work hard too keeping members within the rules they set out. There are other forums where you might get away with marketing stuff you make but they have far less footfall than in here which is certainly the biggest in UK. Who know their advertising rates might be worth it. They used to have something like the ability to pay for "featured posts" - not sure if that is still offered.
Be aware that all the forums cost money to run and could reasonably ask for a contribution to promote your product.

I hope you find what I've written to be constructive - it is genuinely meant that way and I wish you luck with your venture.
Bob

well thanks for your reply you can buy the sensor I have used on ebay I think its a jml four lead box mains input lead one power socket and two slave sockets they are round about a fiver I have one set up in my workshop which has worked fine for 9 months even when the saw is stalled buy one try it out and make up your own mind hope this helps...kev

Back