Shop vac auto-on switch...where from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very useful post. Currently my remote controller for my dust extractor is a long stick that I flick the cover of the no voltage switch up and press the green button. :roll: . Now I'm going be a lot more sensible and use one of your suggestions, thanks :oops:

Well, it seems to work perfectly. Only used it on the table saw so far but you start the table saw and 2 seconds later the Vac also starts. Not bad for £10 on eBay.

Shame the ebay one does not quote any power ratings.
There would be no need for a computer device to switch more than a few hundred watts maximum so i would not expect it to last long with typical workshop loads.

Just because it has 13amp shaped pins does not mean it can carry that current.

MM

How long does it run on afterwards? I suppose you could just hold the trigger on for a few seconds on the chop saw or whatever. I might give this a go....

Just a note of warning Maplins do them rated at 5 amp and 13 amp (I think) but check you get the higher rated one..very similar price I think.

I have two that work fine, however another only lasted a month or so but was replaced by the Ebay supplier.

Vac starts a couple of seconds after the tool and then runs for a few seconds after the machine is turned off. I'm intending on adding a remote controlled light onto the extensions so I can use that to draw power and switch the vac on as well. I think it will be useful for general dusting the bench and floor.

Hopefully it will last.

I've had mine running for a few days and it's brilliant. Just open the blast gate and switch on the tool. Dust extraction is now brilliant. I did sanding, planning and bandsaw work tonight and didn't see any dust or have to faff with the vac.

Grayorm":2klm69ll said:
MickCheese":2klm69ll said:
I lied. It wasn't Maplins it was Toolstation.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/Energy+Saving+Controls/d190/sd3205

You get three sockets that can be controlled independently or one button to turn all three on or off.

I use one with my shop vac.

Mick

Thanks for that, I've not had chance to call at Maplins, but as we have one local I might bob in and see if they do them any way :wink:

If it's the remote control switches that you are looking at, Lidl is currently selling a pack of four for £12.99.

Resurrecting an old thread just in case anyone else has this query. The master slave module M103N by German manufacturer Kemo does exactly this and is available from a couple of sources.
I used one to add a power socket to a commercial vacuum so I could autostart it with my tracksaw.
It would be easy to put in a box with a socket or two.
Total load of both tools is 16A, max load either one is 10 or 12 amps ?
It works great but you need enough basic electrical knowledge to install it safely.

Hi all I am new to forum for anyone interested I have built a dedicated power tool auto vac switch with available bought guaranteed products available online UK works great switch power tool on vac comes on and has overrun to clear dust when tool is turned off fraction of cost f advertised units...email me...kev

As a new member, I don't think the PM system is available to you. Just write-up your design and publish it here for everyone's benefit
That what these forums are for.

hi Myfordman thanks for your post as I am new what is the PM system ...kev

Private mail.
Kev, you asked people to mail you for details when in fact you will have to post whatever you have in the forum for others to read..

HTH

ok I have spent 9 months working on this project for which I have used first design for six months in my workshop and I have since had no issues I have now rebuilt this to a professional product as yet I don't know how to post photos so far this has cost me a couple of hundred quid to develop but now its right ..kev

Back