Have I bought a tool with a 240v plug but should be 110v?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan895

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hitachi M12VC fixed base router nearly two years ago online from a well-known shop that buys and sells second hand goods, at the time of taking delivery of it I did a quick on/off test to ensure it worked and then put it away in my storage unit where it remained until last week.

As one of the tools I’m thinking about selling, I checked it again the other day and it was only then I noticed that the label on the router body states 120 volts and 60 hertz. The router is fairly clean cosmetically but the plug does look noticeably newer, and taking the plug cover off the cable colours are white (to neutral), black (to live) and green (to earth) which raised my suspicions even more. As a comparison my Porter Cable 7529 – another router seen more in North America – is rated 230 volts 50 hertz and the wire colours are the usual blue & brown so I’m wondering if something is amiss with the Hitachi.

I ran it again for 5 seconds on the slowest speed and again it worked fine, but given everything above I’m hesitant to run it anymore if there’s the potential of bad things happening to either myself or the tool. So the question is – and I might already know the answer – should this have a 110 volt plug fitted instead of a 240v plug?

TIA

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes in all likelyhood its definately a 110v model and its the speed control thats protecting the motor from burning out ( which a 110v run on 240v will do )
Put a 110v plug on it and test with a site tranny

Ian

Not only is it 110 volts but also an American model if it states 60Hz . Run it on 230 volts and it will burn out, it will run on a 110 volt transformer but slower due to the reduced frequency.

Thanks very much for confirming, as I suspected it wasn't what it appeared to be. I'll get it swapped out for something more appropriate and then borrow a transformer to check if it runs, I've no interest in 110v tools so in a way this has made my decision easier about selling/keeping it.

Brush motors don't care if they run on AC or DC. Don't worry about the 60Hz rating. It will run a little slow off a 110V site transformer compared to the 120V on the rating plate.

I bought a Hitachi M12VC fixed base router nearly two years ago online from a well-known shop that buys and sells second hand goods, at the time of taking delivery of it I did a quick on/off test to ensure it worked and then put it away in my storage unit where it remained until last week.

As one of the tools I’m thinking about selling, I checked it again the other day and it was only then I noticed that the label on the router body states 120 volts and 60 hertz. The router is fairly clean cosmetically but the plug does look noticeably newer, and taking the plug cover off the cable colours are white (to neutral), black (to live) and green (to earth) which raised my suspicions even more. As a comparison my Porter Cable 7529 – another router seen more in North America – is rated 230 volts 50 hertz and the wire colours are the usual blue & brown so I’m wondering if something is amiss with the Hitachi.

I ran it again for 5 seconds on the slowest speed and again it worked fine, but given everything above I’m hesitant to run it anymore if there’s the potential of bad things happening to either myself or the tool. So the question is – and I might already know the answer – should this have a 110 volt plug fitted instead of a 240v plug?

TIA
110/120 v tools usually have a thicker supply cable which doesn't fit comfortably in a 13A plug,

Back