Auto switch for vacuum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ps.harris80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Anyone got any recommendations for an autoswitch for my shop vac, the sort that turns the vac on when the power tool being used is switched on, I have seen a few for the American market but they obviously don't work in the UK.

Anyone using one they would recommend.

Thanks.

Paul

Make one. Use an M3050 current sense module and a din rail contactor to switch your vacuum. Put in a box with appropriate sockets. About 25 quids worth of bits
Ebay if you want it quicker but dearer, Aliexpress slower but cheaper

I've got one from Lidl, one from Bosch and a McAlister.

Bosch being the most expensive and the most useless.

The Parkside works well.

I got the McAlister off mrketplace for £30 and it's doing the job.

I was going to buy parts to make a vac auto. but a secondhand complete unit for thirty quid was cheaper and less hassle.

KEMO M103N module is made specifically for this. You need to put it in a box or retrofit it into your vac but it works fine. I built one into a mitre saw station to ensure that a cheap vacuum turned on and off with the saw.

Toughleads.co.uk currently enquiring myself with these guys about adding remote switch extraction and they seem very professional

You have two options, current sense or a pressure switch but I am just as happy with my manual switch because I work in a small shop. If you had a bigger shop and extraction remote then it might become handy but I think this has all stemed from Festool as a sort of marketing sales pitch and is really not essential.

I might have tried almost all (cheap) options:
1. Cheap Aldi extractor with power take off
- returned, because it did not start for some lower power tools (e.g. jig saw)

2. Intelliplug from Peter Millard video linked above
- there is a delay about 5 or 6 seconds before it activates Slave power. I found it unusable, especially with mitre saw

3. Master and Slave Auto Power-Off IEC - linked in MorrisWoodman12 message above
- when it works - it works great.
I bought two.
- First (vacuum connected directly to Slave socket) broke down within 1 week.
- Second (vacuum wired via contactor) lasted 3 or 4 weeks

4. My current setup: DC Current Detection Sensor Module 5V + contactor - has been in constant use for 5 to 6 months and has not failed so far
- current detection module (current price: £5.70)
--- DC Current Detection Sensor Module 5V/12V/24V Relay Protection Module | eBay
- contactor (current price: £9.71)
--- British General Fortress 20A DP Contactor NO

On the master side I have 1 m extension lead with 2 sockets
- First socket for plug-it style power cord (all my tools have appropriate adapter)
--- when tool turns on - vacuum turns on automatically
------ It even works with the mitre saw light correctly. i.e. does not turn vacuum on until the blade is started.
- Second socket with LED light wired via pull cord. When cord is pulled - light turns ON and vacuum starts.
This way I have the best of both worlds - vacuum can be started either automatically or manually (for tools not using plug-it)

When I implemented option 4 I did consider KEMO M103N, but since I already had contactor wired 5V DC detection module was a cheaper option.
FYI - If using KEMO M103N - there is a video covering the process.
It is in German, but allows to enable English captions

In case anyone curious how to wire 5V DC detection module:
- note - these modules can be 5V or 12V or 24V. Make sure to select the right one depending on what power supply you have. I had 5V from mobile phone. Pictured below is 12V.
- If you find that your lower powered device is not detected - wrap more than 1 coil of wire via the detection coil

1665499249453.png

KEMO M103N module is made specifically for this. You need to put it in a box or retrofit it into your vac but it works fine. I built one into a mitre saw station to ensure that a cheap vacuum turned on and off with the saw.
I have made two using Kemo units, available thru. Amazon de. (20.32€ + 10€ p&p) Module sockets & faceplate - Screwfix, box Ebay. Total; £40

Attachments

• IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5113.JPG
    IMG_5113.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
I have made two using Kemo units, available thru. Amazon de. (20.32€ + 10€ p&p)
Hello @stuart little

As a user of Kemo unit - could you please confirm couple of things:
1. Is it possible to configure current detection threshold on Kemo unit?
- i.e. to have it turn the Slave/Vacuum On only when power draw on Master/Tool exceeds certain level?

2. Does it support delay?
- i.e. Slave/Vacuum continues to run for few seconds after Master/Tool has been turned Off

Looks great @stuart little

Does the vacuum socket have an overrun and how long is it for?
No it doesn't, but I find it no problem - The hose will clear next time on start up, or let it run a few secs before switching off. In fact I use a Bosch Easyvac 3 indoors when model ship building & find the delay more annoying than useful.

Hello @stuart little

As a user of Kemo unit - could you please confirm couple of things:
1. Is it possible to configure current detection threshold on Kemo unit?
- i.e. to have it turn the Slave/Vacuum On only when power draw on Master/Tool exceeds certain level?

2. Does it support delay?
- i.e. Slave/Vacuum continues to run for few seconds after Master/Tool has been turned Off
Hi, all I know is that when the tool/machine is switched on the vac also starts, I've used this device on my table saw, thicknesser , router table & mitre saw for about 4 yrs now, & never found not having a delay a problem. Why does one need an 'off' delay?

Why does one need an 'off' delay?

1. If vacuum shuts off at the same time as the tool then less airborne dust gets collected and more airborne particles are left to breathe in.
2. When using the same hose with multiple tools - without shut off delay - I often found that saw dust gets spilt out of vacuum hose when I switch the hose to a different tool. This most frequently happened to me with bandsaw or mitre saw.

Issue 2 is mostly dependent on the vacuum power. Probably not an issue with more powerful dust collectors.

1. If vacuum shuts off at the same time as the tool then less airborne dust gets collected and more airborne particles are left to breathe in.
2. When using the same hose with multiple tools - without shut off delay - I often found that saw dust gets spilt out of vacuum hose when I switch the hose to a different tool. This most frequently happened to me with bandsaw or mitre saw.

Issue 2 is mostly dependent on the vacuum power. Probably not an issue with more powerful dust collectors.
Agreed, I use a Scheppach 1000HA & just let the machine idle for a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back