Segment calculations for round bird house wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Huxley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello every-one,
I want to make a round bird house using segments does any-one know of a formula to work out angles and the amount of segments needed for any set size. I have tried google but nothing comes up to help.
Many thanks Dave

Hi Dave
Try this www.segmentedturning.com/software.htm I think it should do what you want.I think you get 30days free use or something like that. I registered with it for vases and other stuff and found it very good. Should be able to convert a vase to a birdhouse for the segments :?
Cheers
Steve

Hello Steve,
I have emailed the web site you kindly mentioned and awaiting a reply, what I should have mentioned was that I want to run the segments vertically.
I have just turned a hollow cylinder about eight inches deep by four and a half inches wide out of a green Cherry branch but is still soaking wet kept inside a plastic bag, thought a segmented would be quicker without the risk of splitting. Many thanks Steve.
Dave

Dave Not sure but i think what you need to do is Divide 360 which is the degrees of a circle by what ever amount of segments you want.
Example for a ring with 8 segments it would be 360 divided by 8. That would mean you would cut your segments at 45 degrees?

Not sure if this is what you need to know :)

I guess you're kind of "coopering" then. Shedhead is almost right, only each side of the angle has to be half so you do it as described then divide by 2 so:

8 sides = 22.5deg
12 sides = 15deg

etc.

There is a little bit in Woodturning this month about it in the Q&A section.

HTH

Richard

Many thanks Dermot and Steve, what a team! Even a novice like me can understand this, just what I wanted.
Ive just got to get in the shed and see if I can set my band saw up accurate enough or I might have to put a table saw on my Christmas list.
Thanks again I'm really chuffed at the response.
Dave

Hello Malcolm, I will get my grandson to show me how to post photo's as this is getting a bit into high technology !
Having a look around the wood turning sites last night I came across
www.chelmerwoodturning.co.uk and under projects they show a bird box and feeder, this is the sort of thing Im having a go at.

Richards comment re Coopering has given me all sorts of idea's like making garden plant containers with verticle segments.
Thanks every one.
Dave

Back