CT344 planer seizure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveH123

Reaction score
Good evening
My name is Dave and this my first post.
I have an Axminster CT344 planer, which I have had for many years
Occasionally, the blades get dull and, even worse ( a chip!).
I thought I had become adept at changing blades so, imagine my surprise, yesterday, instead of a normal startup, very loud a very loud screech and the whole machine seized up.!
Efforts to free up the blade cylinder failed and also, trying to move the drive motor shaft, unsuccessful. I presume one of the blades has come adrift.
Any help in identifying the fault and a solution would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Dave

This machine has been discussed before Axminster CT-344 portable thicknesser

First thing is remove the blades and find out what has caused the seizure, sounds like the drum has become jamed and the belt has screeched but when investigating make sure it is unplugged, easy to overlook when distracted by a problem.
Thanks Roy
I managed to remove the CT-344 cover so I could access the pulley attached to the drum.
By attaching a one hand clamp I was able to turn the drum enough to remove one of the blades, which seemed undamaged.
That seemed to free up the drum, so I was able to remove the other blade, which was also undamaged.
I carefully replaced and set up both blade heights with the jig + tightened up the clamp bolts.
Plugged in and switched on.
Eureka - it works but I have no idea why it jammed in the first place!
Thanks again Roy for your help
Dave
This machine has been discussed before Axminster CT-344 portable thicknesser

First thing is remove the blades and find out what has caused the seizure, sounds like the drum has become jamed and the belt has screeched but when investigating make sure it is unplugged, easy to overlook when distracted by a problem.

Latest posts

Back