Sea Eagle Intarsia - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick progress update.

I've cut the main backboard now and glued the head and shimmed section to it. I've also made a start on the right, furthest away, wing -

IMG_1001.jpg

This will probably be my last post on this for a little while now as from a WIP/tutorial point of view the rest is pretty much just more of the same, shaping and glueing individual pieces in place.

I'll do another update once it is all assembled and I start the finishing process.

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 524
Really great Phill, very clear explanations, and the finished piece is clearly going to be something to be proud of.

It must be a bit of a nuisance to have to stop and do "unimportant" stuff like "real work". I too was self-employed before I finally retired, but the biggest difficulties in my game were A) "How long will this project last?" - Answer "About 6 weeks" (which often turned out to be more like 6 months), and B) projects were invariably about a million miles away from home, so although I really did love my work, it played havoc with any continuity in the workshop.

So I do feel for you mate, and thanks even more for making the effort to both educate me and keep me "entertained".

AES

Quick update...

I've finished shaping and gluing -

IMG_1010.jpg

The feet were that last bit to add and they hang over the end of the backing board, hence the temporary support.

I'll leave this overnight to let the glue properly dry then tomorrow I can apply a first proper coat of finish.

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 498
Thanks AES, actually looking at it now I may do a little bit of post assembly shaping with the Dremel to add a bit of definition to some of the feathers.

Maybe, maybe not. I'll decide as I start working on the finish, which I hope to do today.

I need to nip out and buy some coal for the fire though as it has turned very cold here over the last couple of days and I burnt the last of my firewood yesterday. I thought the time for lighting the fire had passed but my fingers and toes were going numb at one point yesterday so I had to give in and light the stove.

Phill

Yeah, we had a heavy snow fall the other day! Didn't last long mind, but still, mid+ April, and we're only low down in the general scheme of (Swiss) things, and a LONG way South of you up there.

AES

AES":1rwguy3w said:
Yeah, we had a heavy snow fall the other day! Didn't last long mind, but still, mid+ April, and we're only low down in the general scheme of (Swiss) things, and a LONG way South of you up there.

AES

It's a funny thing, people always imagine that we have really cold weather and actually it is very rare for it to snow here. Certainly it is rare for it to settle as, what we do have plenty of is wind.

But today there is hardly any wind and the snow is settling nicely. I'm quite looking forward to taking Oscar for his walk as I am sure the Alaskan Malamute in him will love it.

Phill

Here we are at the final stages...

Here is the piece well and truly blathered with wiping varnish (1/3rd each of varnish, boiled linseed oil and white spirits) -

IMG_1011.jpg

Then I rubbed this in and smoothed off the surface of the wood using wire wool.

Normally this would be done on the second coat of the finish and this is the second coat as impatience has led me to apply an initial coat as i've been assembling the project.

Ever the patient one :D here it is finished and on our lounge wall -

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

My work here is done :lol:

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 477
That really does look EXCELLENT Phill.

=D> =D> =D>

And thanks for all the trouble you've taken in photographing and explaining every step of the way. A 1st Class "'ow I done it". As said before, I've bookmarked this thread (NOT that I expect to ever reach your - and Brian's - standards).

AES

I thought I'd just post these quick snapshots to give some scale

This one appealed as I thought "it doesn't look good for Grommet (the cat)" -

IMG_1019.jpg

The Oscar cam along, I think he'd be a bit more of a challenge -

IMG_1021.jpg

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_1021.jpg