Sea Eagle Intarsia - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, little (well big actually) flea in the ointment!

It occurred to me during the process of developing this pattern that the image that I was using would of copyright protected.

With this in mind I located the original photographer and asked permission for it's use.

He has said that he has standard policy on this and that I can use it for whatever I want for £60 + VAT

I think I can get away with the current use here and in my blog under fair use for educational purposes but wouldn't want to put that to the test for the actual production of a finished piece offered for sale. Plus I will probably want to offer the finished pattern for sale.

This is my own fault, I am familiar with copyright law and wouldn't have dreamed of using the image as part of a my normal work in web design. I suppose I just took my eye off the ball with being in hobby/workshop mode.

So....

I have another image in mind that looks very similar but is available free for commercial use. So I'll do a new pattern based on this new image then continue with the woodwork from there.

Please bear with me while I catch up...

Phill

P.S. Here is the new image, I'll just use the eagle part of course.

Attachments

• white-tailed-eagle-2015098.jpg
    white-tailed-eagle-2015098.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 505
Great news.

Further to my last post, I've had some discussion with the photographer and he has agreed to let me use the image for the tutorials, Intarsia and patterns.

Just shows that it pays to talk (well email anyway).

So, quick tidy up of the workshop this morning to make room for the new project than we're good to go.

Happy days!

Workshop tidied and backboard cut to overall size, here it is with the pattern laid on it.

IMG_0962.jpg

Quite excited to get working now.

Spent the rest of the morning "making wood"

I've glued up some narrow pieces of mahogany (I think) in case I need these.

IMG_0963.jpg

I also cut up some more of the wood I mentioned in another post, consensus is greenheart, possibly an old wave breaker. I've cut this into 20mm an 25mm thick pieces. Then planed them. This is quite dark wood and I'm thinking it might be nice for the wings.

Sadly I discovered a hidden screw in one of the pieces. On further inspection there was no head to see with just the rusty shaft hidden on the weather surface. Brand new bandsaw blade too, so I was chuffed to bits about that! I must buy myself a metal detector. At least it didn't go through the planer.

Then it was time to do my duty walking Oscar.

Back now so might get into the workshop this afternoon.

Time for a senior moment now though I think...

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 495
Claymore":30v8g3ib said:
Looking good Phill and one of the problems we have to take recycling timber.....it usually happens when you have just fitted a new blade, I always use a metal detector that I got on Amazon its like a paddle shape and used for security people but works great for wood and it was half the price of those sold by woodworking tool retailers even though its identical.
Give us a shout if you want a link for it.
Cheers and keep up the great work, that's going to look stunning you clever sod lol
Brian
ps have you made a storage rack for your clamps? I have loads of them and fancy making some sort of rack to keep them all out of the way.

Yes please to the metal detector link.

I do have a clamp rack but it's nowt fancy. Just a but of wood with slots cut along the edge -

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 473
Finally sorted out wood and made a start on cutting out.

Here is the first bit, 178 still to do...

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 472
linkshouse":16oiw96p said:
Sorry this has been so long and I hope that it is of interest.

Regards

Phill

Not too long at all. Well presented and thorough. For anyone wanting to have a go at intarsia but wondering where to start, this is brilliant.

This is shaping up to be the best WIP ever!

Can it be made sticky?

+1 for the idea of a sticky. Could I also suggest a change of title to something like - "Intarsia for beginners - from pattern making to finishing" (assuming that I'm not assuming too much with that last part of the tile Phill).

AES

Thank you for the kind comments but I really don't think it is that special.

As for sticky and renaming, I think only mods can do that.

Phill

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had in mind to use the "greenheart" wood for the wings, and therefore the majority of the project.

I'm thinking I may need to rethink that.

I've cut the parts below so far (from the greenheart) - The bits with dark grey patterns on them.

IMG_0976.jpg

Five parts = four blades!

Reading up on greenheart apparently it blunts tools very quickly and if this is greenheart, it sure does.

Given that there would be around another 90 - 100 piece to cut from this it is really a none starter.

So, it looks like it will have to be mahogany as that is the only wood I have in that is wide enough. Bit redder than I woudl have liked but hey ho!

I'll keep posting...

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 610
Ah well, maybe that's the problem.

I'm using Pegas No5 modified geometry. I sue them for just about everything.

I don't think I have anything much bigger than No5. I may have some No7's kicking about but they'll be odd ones if I do.

Maybe I should invest in some No7's and No9's but it will hold me up a little bit.

Phill

Claymore":2tt0c1vx said:
Phill,
I have some spare number 9's and I'll stick some in the post tomorrow if ya want? let me know asap and i will post them on my way out to shops tomorrow morning.
Cheers
Brian

That's very kind Brian but I'm sorted thanks.

Turns out I had some No7 and No12 super skip tooth and I've been having a go with them.

They're fairing better and so I will stick with the greenheart as I do like the colour but it is funny material.

I tried the No12 first and it romped through the wood at first but pretty quickly slowed down. And, to be honest all of the sizes, even the No5's tend to do the same. It's not so much that the wood is hard as that it just blunts the blades.

Thats all said the bigger blades do at least last a bit longer before I end up having to lean on them :wink: so I'll press on with them.

Thanks for the advice and offer of help Brian.

Phill

It occurred to me that I had missed out a fairly important step in the process - wood selection.

I have managed to collect all sorts of wood and must admit that I haven't got a clue what most of them are, so I tend to just rifle through them and pick what I think will look nice :)

To help me with this process I usually prep up woods by thicknessing them, giving the a quick sand and then applying wood finish to the end inch or so (as the finish significantly changes the colour). Then these are what go on my "ready to use" wood rack.

Having gone through my wood rack these are the woods that I have chosen for the Sea Eagle -

IMG_0977.jpg

From left to right: 1st is what I will use for the dark parts of the wings, 2nd is the dreaded greenheart and this is what I will use for the medium shades which make up the majority of the piece, wings and body, 3rd is a medium light which I will use for the feet and head and then 4th is what I will use for the feet and beak. I've realised that I haven't got anything here for the tail feathers, I'll look for something almost white.

Carrying on form here...

I apply masking tape to the wood. I used to have trouble with the masking tape occasionally lifting during sawing but read a great tip in the Judy Gale Roberts intarsia book, which was to burnish the tape with a smooth object - hence the spoon. Have not had my masking tape lift since.

IMG_0978.jpg

The bright eyed amongst you might notice the change of masking tape at the bottom edge. That's cos I'm a tight wad and dont use wide tape where narrow will do :oops:

Next I apply cut out pieces of the pattern using a glue stick - I just use Pound store cheapies.

IMG_0979.jpg

After applying the pattern pieces I cover the whole lot with sellotape then it's on to the saw.

I did a bit this morning but it has turned baltic here on Westray today and my fingers and toes were getting cold so I've lit my wood burner (always have plenty of fuel :roll: ) and retreated to the office to write this post while it warms up a bit.

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 563
linkshouse":2nj045ga said:
The bright eyed amongst you might notice the change of masking tape at the bottom edge. That's cos I'm a tight wad and dont use wide tape where narrow will do :oops:
Phill

That's exactly the process I use, even to the colour of the masking tape and the different colour for the narrow bit, although I use a purple glue stick that I found in my wife's craft room. I've no idea what the glue stick cost but I like the purple colour as it allows me to easily see where I've applied it (it dries clear).

Chris

Would you be able to explain a little bit about the properties of different blades and which to use for different wood?

Your post above re your trouble with the greenheart made me wonder.

Thanks again.

MrTeroo":36bisjef said:
Would you be able to explain a little bit about the properties of different blades and which to use for different wood?

Your post above re your trouble with the greenheart made me wonder.

Thanks again.

I use Pegas blades and rather than me try to explain, here it is "from the horses mouth" - http://site.b2bprofessionaltools.com/catalogs/PegasChart.pdf

Of course there are other blade manufacturers but the blade sizing and use is pretty universal.

Regards

Phill

Back