Scroll saw stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Axminster AWFS18 now looking for a stand does any body have the axminster one and what is your report looking the the hegner one its about £140 is it worth the extra £100.

I have the Axminster one. I think it was designed for the smaller saws which were in their range when the AWSF18 came out. You can bolt the AWSF18 to it securely but it's obvious that the holes weren't intended to fit that model! So I'm OK with the stand, having bought it, but I'm not especially impressed. It is a little lightweight for the thing sitting on top of it.

I don't know if the Hegner stand is worth £100 more, since I don't own it. I think you could certainly make as good a stand yourself, perhaps using a paving stone or something similar for a really heavy top and suitably substantial wooden framing. If so, then a three-legged arrangement would probably be best for completely stability. Are there any plans anywhere?

Olwyn,

I have a Scheppach and it vibrated off the bench. I cut a piece of 12mm MDF and bolted the saw to it. Then I drilled 2 12mm holes and use 2 12mm coach bolts and wing nuts to fasten it to the bench when using it. It protudes 9-12 inch from the bench which gives ample legroom when in use. If you want me to sent pics PM me.

Mick.

I started with a Hegner SE bolted to a very heavy wood bench with 40mm worktop on it. and it worked ok, you could feel some vibration through the table though. When I mounted it on the Hegner stand, the difference was striking, hardly any vibration and much less noise. I wouldn't be without it.
John

Bilgepump":oy991xe6 said:
When I mounted it on the Hegner stand, the difference was striking, hardly any vibration and much less noise. I wouldn't be without it.
Do you mean this stand, John?

gs09.jpg

If so, I absolutely agree - it really does make a difference. :)

Ray

From the Pic the Hegner stand looks substantial, and welded together. The Axi, IIRC is pressed steel, comes flat packed and bolts together. No contest - a welded stand will perform better. However, as already mentioned, adding weight as a damper to a flimsy stand will work wonders. Paving slab or a bag of sand/ballast (£3 from any builders merchants) are usually recommended. Got to be owrth a try if you already have a cheap stand - not sure the Hegner stand is worth £100 extra!

Steve

Back