Hegner Stands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 42626

Established Member
Reaction score
I was moving some of the stuff around in the workshop and noticed a considerable difference in weights of a few of my Hegner stands. Convinced I wasn't imagining things I took my 2S off its stand to compare that one too.
Well that was it, I grabbed the scales and the verniers too.
My early 1990s table weighs in at an impressive 15kg, it's top is also 5mm thick the 2 others are newer, one is 2mm thick and weighs about 11.5kg the newest one has a 3mm top and weighs only 9.5kg. cost savings have clearly been made🤔 😄😄
My newest stand is the same as what they currently sell but they claim a weight of 13kg and mine is 9.5kg, maybe they forgot to update their description when the accountants had finished. Either way they're still good stands but the oldest is better engineered by far.
20230729_184156.jpg
Screenshot_20230729_184804_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230729_184735_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_184735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_184735_Chrome.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 0
Am I imagining things? you seem to have at least six Hegner machines? I have to ask why? Or are you in the business of selling machines? :)

Am I imagining things? you seem to have at least six Hegner machines? I have to ask why? Or are you in the business of selling machines? :)
I have 8 machines, I'm retired and refurb them in my spare time. I offer them for sale occasionally
3 are my own

Last edited:
Hegner are certainly well made machines and a pleasure to use but the prices they charge for spare parts and accessories is truly horrendous, I honestly don't know how they justify their spares prices. One instance that I have mentioned before is the simple 'bog' standard on/off switch which you can easily buy locally or online for around £1, Hegner offer this for £24 +P&P. Hegner don't make the switch, it's a standard mini rocker switch fitted to many other appliances. I used one out of a hairdryer.

The quality and longevity of Hegners is why they're my first choice.
Simple and reliable, one of mine is 43 years old and paid for itself decades ago. It's only ever had it's con rod bearings replaced and that was recently. £4 for 2 bearings as opposed to over £50 for a complete link from Hegner. I guess when you build a good product you have to charge a fortune for spare parts 🤣🤔

The quality and longevity of Hegners is why they're my first choice.
Simple and reliable, one of mine is 43 years old and paid for itself decades ago. It's only ever had it's con rod bearings replaced and that was recently. £4 for 2 bearings as opposed to over £50 for a complete link from Hegner. I guess when you build a good product you have to charge a fortune for spare parts 🤣🤔
Yes I suppose that is about it, but as you say because they are very reliable I doubt they sell many spares.

It's a bit like old British made tools and machinery, I have stuff my grandad bought in the early 1900's still working perfectly well whereas a lot of the far east made stuff today does not last so they get repeat sales.

Latest posts

Back