Axminster scroll saw - adjustable blower issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JangoTrooper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the Axminster trade (suppose Professional now).

The problem I have when scrolling is cutting of hardwoods in particular which causes my adjustable blower system to move due to vibrations. Which is annoying and potentially damage the hose to the blower.

Does anyone else have this similar issue with there Axminster, Pegasus, Excalibur scroll saws?

Is there any solution around this?

I did contact Axminster in the past when it was under warranty to which I was issued with a new hose and hose clamp. I don’t think this solved the issue.

My scroll saw is bolted down to the floor with the Axminster scroll saw table to which I purchased at the time.

Any ideas anyone?

The tone of your post and comparison to the tilting table models suggests you have Axi's version of those.

If that's the case I lack direct experience but those machines come with a blower tube of rigid plastic segments. I do have plenty of experience of those as coolant pipes on metal bashing machines.

They don't last forever, but if they start misbehaving the first thing is to pull it apart down to segments and clean in a washing up tub, i.e. warm soapy water. Rinse well and allow to dry naturally before reassembly - the segments should click back together. They do get full of crud which can either act as abrasive or stop the segments gripping each other. Either way you need them out.

Hi all,

I have the Axminster trade (suppose Professional now).

The problem I have when scrolling is cutting of hardwoods in particular which causes my adjustable blower system to move due to vibrations. Which is annoying and potentially damage the hose to the blower.

Does anyone else have this similar issue with there Axminster, Pegasus, Excalibur scroll saws?

Is there any solution around this?

I did contact Axminster in the past when it was under warranty to which I was issued with a new hose and hose clamp. I don’t think this solved the issue.

My scroll saw is bolted down to the floor with the Axminster scroll saw table to which I purchased at the time.

Any ideas anyone?

@Jango Trooper: I had exactly the same problem on my Exc 21.

Fix is easy - a small worm-drive hose clamp ("Jubilee clip") from the local DIY place, opened up, slid over the nozzle, then all the way down the blower tube until it can be locked in place on the 1st section of the blower tube, where the blower tube is attached to the machine on a hollow hemispherical casting. Don't over-tighten (on mine the whole blower tube is plastic segments and the hemi-attachment point is a metal casting - I'm not sure about the Axi clone machine though) - tighten just enough so that the whole blower tube doesn't flop/vibrate around any more, but allows you to still adjust the angle without breaking anything.

Sorry you had problem with the hose clamp idea. Worked fine for me. About the only "trouble" I've had with my machine - coming up 8 years old now.

HTH

Edit to add photo: "A picture = a thousand ..........." (and all that)!

Jub Clip - Exc 21 Blwr.jpg

Sorry, I forgot my mobile phone has a camera! Note the hose clamp is installed at an angle, and not too tight. This allows the hose to still be adjusted as necessary but without all the "flopping around". Works for me.

HTH

Last edited:
Back