Fret/scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the greatest of respect this does seem to be flying off the handle at an offhand comment from Scrimper.
I must apologise if I have said something that has offended or upset anyone here. I can assure everyone that I certainly did not intend to cause any offence, I have always tried to be respectful in my remarks and comments. I can only assume that something that I have written has been taken the wrong way but I don't know what it is that has caused offence. If someone can tell me what it is I will remove the comment if I can.
Please accept my apologies. I don't know what else I can say?

I must apologise if I have said something that has offended or upset anyone here. I can assure everyone that I certainly did not intend to cause any offence, I have always tried to be respectful in my remarks and comments. I can only assume that something that I have written has been taken the wrong way but I don't know what it is that has caused offence. If someone can tell me what it is I will remove the comment if I can.
It's me that raised it. Possibly a bit early but I'd prefer to do that than things become ungentlemanly. I'm making a fuss over nothing but no one has fallen out.

"Dear" scrimper: With respect I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick mate. If you're referring to my response to member ajs - posts numbers 12 and 18 respectively, it was member ajs "having a go at" me (not really!) for possibly offending you! That's my understanding anyway.

I don't think you have offended anyone here mate - not this thread or any other that I can remember.

@ajs: Agree?

"Dear" scrimper: With respect I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick mate. If you're referring to my response to member ajs - posts numbers 12 and 18 respectively, it was member ajs "having a go at" me (not really!) for possibly offending you! That's my understanding anyway.

I don't think you have offended anyone here mate - not this thread or any other that I can remember.

@ajs: Agree?

Ahhhh. Yours and mine "crossed in the post" ajs No harm done anywhere I don't think.

As I posted the original question I did not find anything offensive to be honest and really can’t understand why there were any apologies. I asked your views regarding fret/scroll saws and that’s what you all did, we are not all the same that’s why forums like this work 🙏

I have removed the post where I was negative about Taiwan just in case.

Can I for the record state that I have nothing against the Chinese, Taiwanese or Malays, I just find it sad that some of the best quality stuff once made in Britain has been 'outsourced' to the far East causing great loss of jobs etc. For example Record Power some years ago spent £1 million on a new forge in Sheffield, along comes the American tool co who bought them up and shipped production to Tiawan.
Now their machines carry the Logo Record Sheffield, England to suggest they are made here.

(I do hope this comment is not taken the wrong way)

Last edited:
Hi all
Just bought a hegner polycut 3 scrollsaw with a stand and blades. It’s a solid machine and I’ve seen a few today on my travels. It cost me £500 and it’s only 18 months old. I would like to say that you all have been great for advice and the knowledge you have shared. Thankyou
My word you have got a real bargain there, that is the 'flagship' Hegner Machine, you are very lucky. you will like it so much. when I bought my more modest Multicut 2Sv I could not walk past it in the workshop without having a 'go' on it. I have quite a few woodworking machines in my workshop but the Hegner is the one I like best even now after 22 years.

It was asked if the Hegner clone by Axminster was any good?

Firstly I would say I would never buy a new saw, rather like a car, it loses half its value as soon as you take it out the box or drive one

I have an AWFS18 Axminster clone of the Hegner, its a marvellous machine and does all I require of it, like the Hegner it really does need the quick clamp which replaces the top V block

But otherwise its a rock solid machine, I have never even needed to bolt it down as it has virtually no vibration

PS I have previously had a Hegner (single speed) and it vibrated all over the place, I sold it on

As to the other comments re offending others, Much ado about nothing seems to fit ;-)

I decided to try scrolling and decided to purchase a Screwfix special new had a play with it and decided my ability and interest to learn was lacking so it went back in its box.
It’s been sitting under my bench for at least the last three years, every time I see it I think I must get it out and try again but it still sits there.
If I remember correctly it cost about £200 pounds waste of money, possibly but the issue was not the machine.
Will probley sell it if I get round to it.
I also thought I would try woodturning and purchased a secondhand small lathe had a play with that made a couple of bowls bit of spindle work for a small project I wanted to make and no disrespect towards woodturners but I got bored with it.
So it’s also under the bench
Point is trying to spend as little as possible and upgrade later if necessary when testing the water as they say.

Last edited:
It was asked if the Hegner clone by Axminster was any good?

Firstly I would say I would never buy a new saw, rather like a car, it loses half its value as soon as you take it out the box or drive one

I have an AWFS18 Axminster clone of the Hegner, its a marvellous machine and does all I require of it, like the Hegner it really does need the quick clamp which replaces the top V block

But otherwise its a rock solid machine, I have never even needed to bolt it down as it has virtually no vibration

PS I have previously had a Hegner (single speed) and it vibrated all over the place, I sold it on

As to the other comments re offending others, Much ado about nothing seems to fit ;-)
Thanks for that input, that machine has always looked like almost a copy of a Hegner (I presume Hegners patent has expired now?) Had it been around when I bought my Hegner I would probably have gone for it as they were a lot cheaper then.

You are correct about the quick clamp, one you have used it you would never ant to go without. :)

I’m looking to get a scroll saw for my very small workshop, can anyone suggest any makes? I have looked at Axminster but never had any machines from there also hegner but never really and anything to do with that make either so and advice would be great
Can I just say that I have owned a few machines in my “scroll saw career” to date, starting with a cheap one that only took pinned blades and was only single speed. I then moved onto a Delta two speed scroll saw that took pinnless blades and had a quick change feature for the blades. I then bought a variable speed Delta with the same quick change feature for the blades and would have kept that if the arm length was longer. I found that to be very good quality and very low vibration. I then bought an Axminster trade EX21, which I still own and would highly recommend it. I have it fitted to an Axminster stand and do not find any excessive vibration with it and particularly like the tilting head feature and the fact that you can feed the blade either from the top or the bottom on pierced work. In the meantime I was also offered a variable speed Hegner scroll saw with a stand at a good price, however shortly after buying it the variable speed packed up. Hegner wanted over £500 for a replacement motor and variable speed unit. Luckily an electrical engineer on this site repaired the unit for me. I gave the Hegner unit a fair trial for a while but still preferred the Axminster. The Hegner unit is of an old basic design compared to the Axminster and so doesn’t have the same features as the more modern units. So in summary, it’s up to the individual’s choice, both are good quality and well made, the Hegner is of an old but proven design, the Axminster more modern with well designed features. At the end of the day, you pays your money and make your choice.

The Axminster clone has one advantage over the Hegner (apart from a huge difference in price) the Axminster has two blocks attached to the table to align a blade (if not using a quick clamp) the Hegner only has one

I was sad to see that the AWFS18s successor is no longer listed on Axminsters site, they only list the generic cheap saw, and the two Excalibur a likes, and then three Proxxons which I don't rate for the price

Thanks for that input, that machine has always looked like almost a copy of a Hegner (I presume Hegners patent has expired now?) Had it been around when I bought my Hegner I would probably have gone for it as they were a lot cheaper then.

You are correct about the quick clamp, one you have used it you would never ant to go without. :)

Can I just say that I have owned a few machines in my “scroll saw career” to date, starting with a cheap one that only took pinned blades and was only single speed. I then moved onto a Delta two speed scroll saw that took pinnless blades and had a quick change feature for the blades. I then bought a variable speed Delta with the same quick change feature for the blades and would have kept that if the arm length was longer. I found that to be very good quality and very low vibration. I then bought an Axminster trade EX21, which I still own and would highly recommend it. I have it fitted to an Axminster stand and do not find any excessive vibration with it and particularly like the tilting head feature and the fact that you can feed the blade either from the top or the bottom on pierced work. In the meantime I was also offered a variable speed Hegner scroll saw with a stand at a good price, however shortly after buying it the variable speed packed up. Hegner wanted over £500 for a replacement motor and variable speed unit. Luckily an electrical engineer on this site repaired the unit for me. I gave the Hegner unit a fair trial for a while but still preferred the Axminster. The Hegner unit is of an old basic design compared to the Axminster and so doesn’t have the same features as the more modern units. So in summary, it’s up to the individual’s choice, both are good quality and well made, the Hegner is of an old but proven design, the Axminster more modern with well designed features. At the end of the day, you pays your money and make your choice.
I did look at the axminster fret saw and compared to the hegner that I bought they didn’t seem to be as robust , but the hegner polycut 3 also feels heavier so not something to move about to often.

Yes of course. I just had visions of the discussion going into the toilet if it wasn't addressed. For my own part I don't want anyone to feel I was accusing anyone of anything, it was more of a "calm down before anyone gets upset" thing.

I think you can rest easy there, I saw nothing to suggest unrest or disquiet, just an exchange of opinion which I think we are all entitled to without hacking limbs off ;-)

Yes of course. I just had visions of the discussion going into the toilet if it wasn't addressed. For my own part I don't want anyone to feel I was accusing anyone of anything, it was more of a "calm down before anyone gets upset" thing.

I would also advice against "Rolls Royceism"
Me too! I wonder how many of us on this forum actually drive a Rolls Royce?😃
Because I’m poor I drive a Toyota. It’s the best I can afford… the poshest car I’ve ever been in was hearse 😂
Al

Me too! I wonder how many of us on this forum actually drive a Rolls Royce?😃
Because I’m poor I drive a Toyota. It’s the best I can afford… the poshest car I’ve ever been in was hearse 😂
Al
I don't know about people owning or driving a Rolls-Royce. Some would consider a Toyota the height of their (financial? motoring?) aspirations! So many phrases in daily life are relative and NOT, IMO, to be taken literally.

Amongst many people - I would suggest a majority, members here or not - to call something "the Rolls-Royce of whatsits" is simply to suggest that the particular whatsit under discussion is the epitome of luxury, quality, and overall, just "the best of whatsits" available. No more than that.

AND, it is also just the opinion expressed by (an) individual(s).

IMO, such comments in this thread - pro and con - are much ado about nothing, simply because that phrase is a very commonly-used way to describe an item seen as being of the best quality/most luxurious, etc. The phrase "high-end" is also often used in some cases, e.g. computers and hi-fi. And AFAIK, NOBODY thinks the front of the thing described thus is "stuck up in the air" or something!

End of ...............

Last edited:
I have to own up to being the one to call a product 'Rolls-Royce' quality. I only used it to infer that something, in this case a Hegner Fretsaw was of very good quality, nothing more. I have never owned or driven a Rolls, in fact my vehicle is a 15yr old Renault Kangoo.

Rolls-Royce as I have always been led to believe produced top quality motor cars and of course jet engines etc and I just felt my use of the name to demonstrate what I thought of a product was harmless and I am surprised the use of the name has caused a problem.

I am becoming dubious of writing anything these days for fear that it may offend someone but it seems however careful one is someone will read something into a comment that is not meant.

I have to own up to being the one to call a product 'Rolls-Royce' quality. I only used it to infer that something, in this case a Hegner Fretsaw was of very good quality, nothing more. I have never owned or driven a Rolls, in fact my vehicle is a 15yr old Renault Kangoo.

Rolls-Royce as I have always been led to believe produced top quality motor cars and of course jet engines etc and I just felt my use of the name to demonstrate what I thought of a product was harmless and I am surprised the use of the name has caused a problem.

I am becoming dubious of writing anything these days for fear that it may offend someone but it seems however careful one is someone will read something into a comment that is not meant.

I wouldn't worry scrimper. When one looks back over your posts here (and your YT videos) the majority have been read and often "liked" too. In short, they have CONTRIBUTED to whatever discussion was going on.

And yeah, you referred to "the Rolls-Royce of -------" (in this case scroll saws) as I - and I think several others have too - and over quite a period too. But it's only within the last couple/three weeks that I think just a couple of people whom IMO are "namby-pamby nit pickers" have objected to the phrase "the Rolls-Royce of ------- (whatever).

As I posted recently, in my experience the majority of people who use such a phrase are simply using a "common short hand expression" to refer to something - anything really - as being of highest quality, high-priced, etc, etc.

As said, personally I consider such complainers as simply "silly, namby-pamby nit pickers" whose "contributions" are to be ignored. So my hope is that you'll do the same thing and keep on with your most welcome and valuable posting here (and with YT videos too) mate.

IMO it's worth noting that the recent "R-R complainers" have NOT added anything of value to the discussion thread, but have simply put forward their own views as to the "advisability" of using the "R-R comment" itself. Don't bother with 'em mate!

Back