Screw Shopping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My twenty year old DeWalt's are still capable of driving a 100mm decking screw straight through a 100mm sq oak fence post, if I wanted it to, with twelve different torque settings and a hammer setting (rarely used) I still don't see the need for an impact driver, and its not miss typed my 18volt DeWalt's are twenty years old, both Nimh, still each to his own.

Happy New Year All.

Mike

woodpig":2v6iqrfk said:
MattRoberts":2v6iqrfk said:
woodpig":2v6iqrfk said:
Or you could try these.

https://www.squarescrews.co.uk

Pozidrive are pants in comparison.
Have you bought from there? I'd like to switch to square drive, and the prices seem OK there.

Thanks

I've only had a thousand or so from them, mostly stainless but they've all been good. Their service is pretty good as well. They only sell pukka drivers as well, unlike the Makita square drive bits that don't fit! :wink:
Thank you, and for the tip about makita bits - I have those too, so will get some bits while I'm at it :)

How long have square drive screws been around? Is there any end to what manufacturers will do to hook us into using a one shop product.

Mike

MikeJhn":310282gz said:
How long have square drive screws been around? Is there any end to what manufacturers will do to hook us into using a one shop product.

Mike

Robertson (square) Screws have been around over a hundred years:

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/history.html

Once you've tried them anything else is Rubbish. They are extremely popular in America and Canada, where I first saw them.

Woodpig

Thanks for the info, but I have never come across them before, industrially or commercially, perhaps I led a sheltered life? I really do not think yet another drive system for screws is needed in the UK or Europe come to that, I can see that after prolonged use these would be still usable, but the fact that the contact area relies on one leading point makes them less efficient that a multi point torque head. IMO

Mike

"I'll let Robertson know he can stand down Mike."

Not for a second do I understand that comment, but OK

Happy New Year Matt.

Mike

woodpig":332sd6r9 said:
MikeJhn":332sd6r9 said:

Mike

Robertson (square) Screws have been around over a hundred years:

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/history.html

Once you've tried them anything else is Rubbish. They are extremely popular in America and Canada, where I first saw them.

About ten years ago in NZ my b.i.l. told me they use square drive screws virtually exclusively - it was rare to see anything else. That's in a Country where every third person seems to be a chippie.

Well I now think my education is complete, its the first of the year and I have learnt something new, having never seen them, or never noticed them, where have they been hiding. :lol:

Mike

MikeJhn":3lm157sb said:
"I'll let Robertson know he can stand down Mike."

Not for a second do I understand that comment, but OK

Happy New Year Matt.

Mike
I was jesting Mike - happy new year to you too :)

I may, as soon as I run out of the suitcase full of Reisser R2 Cutter screws I have. :wink:

Mike

MikeJhn":16ihc4pv said:
I may, as soon as I run out of the suitcase full of Reisser R2 Cutter screws I have. :wink:

Mike

You'll get through them a lot quicker if you get yourself a decent impact driver (hammer) :lol:

Back