Can I change keyed chuck to keyless?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjgtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a quick search but could not find this specific question?

Question: My Pillar drill (Scheppach DP16SL) has a chuck (with chuck key) with apparently a B16 chuck adaptor., tapered?
It just pushed on when setting up the pillar drill, no screwing or bolting.
I want to fit a keyless chuck if that is possible, no mention of this option in the manual.

I assume I can just swap the existing OEM one with a 3rd party keyless job?
Or is this not possible and I'm stuck with the keyed chuck?

I've seen Axminster and Sealy keyless chucks for £70/80/90 and I've also seen cheaper ones on Amazon, presumably Chinesium copies, would these be any good, or is it a false economy to buy a cheap chuck?

Cheers for any info you can pass on... (y)

No direct experience, just a thought. Does the drill have a spindle lock? If not you may struggle to tighten up a keyless chuck.

If you've a B16 taper there no reason why you shouldn't fit a different chuck that fits a B16. If the B16 is the other end of a MT2 you could fit anything with an MT2 already fitted.
Cheers, don't know what an MT2 is though?
The instructions with the Scheppach says it has a B16 chuck adaptor, does not mention MT2?
When I built the pillar drill out of the box (last week) the keyed chuck just pushed onto the spindle and then gently tapped home.
I assume I just knock the old one off (carefully) and put a new keyless chuck on in the same manner?
Sorry, but never had a pillar drill before, so its all new to me, just a pain using the keyed chuck all the time, when using lots of bits. Ta..... (y)

You need to look for a keyless chuck with a B16 taper fitting that should fit straight onto the stub of your drill forget about the MT2 not needed on yours.
You will need someway of locking the shaft while you close the chuck or you might get a drill bit wandering out onto your work or your hands.

Well put it in a jar. Keep it safe.
I have a few spare key chucks, from drills I've had over the years, plus this pillar drill has a little chuck key holder on the side of the machine, good idea actually, so you don't lose it. But, if I go keyless chuck I won't need the key anyway... :) (y)

Will be going down the same route

been warned against cheapo chucks…on an engineering forum…
so will get German made ones but just 1or 2 instead of four…

I have a few spare key chucks, from drills I've had over the years, plus this pillar drill has a little chuck key holder on the side of the machine, good idea actually, so you don't lose it. But, if I go keyless chuck I won't need the key anyway... :) (y)
He was implying you'll end up going back to a keyed chuck.

Last edited:
H was implying you'll end up going back to a keyed chuck.
Oh ok, why, are keyless not as good? I'm new to pillar drills....
Unless you have 3 hands I would think long and hard about fitting a keyless chuck to a pillar drill.
As above, why? I thought keyless was easier to use, I would be genuinely interested to know what experienced folks think, as this is new to me. My only experience is with (many) hand drills, and keyless is far quicker and easier with those, so I just assumed they would also be easier / quicker on a pillar drill.
Thanx

Oh ok, why, are keyless not as good? I'm new to pillar drills....

As above, why? I thought keyless was easier to use, I would be genuinely interested to know what experienced folks think, as this is new to me. My only experience is with (many) hand drills, and keyless is far quicker and easier with those, so I just assumed they would also be easier / quicker on a pillar drill.
Thanx
In a hand drill keyless is easy as the bit won’t fall out while you’re trying to tighten or loosen the chuck as the entire drill is generally held at an angle to prevent that happening…same can’t be said for a pillar drill as you need both hands to engage the chucks separate collars that need gripping and rotating in opposite directions along with your third hand to stop the drill bit from falling out of the chuck whilst you’re trying to grip or release it from the chuck..

I have all sorts of keyless chucks in hand drills and on my lathes, but never on a pillar drill, for the reasons mentioned above. Tried it once and it was a PITA, soon went back. Decent ones are also very expensive compared to an equivalent sized keyed one.

In a hand drill keyless is easy as the bit won’t fall out while you’re trying to tighten or loosen the chuck as the entire drill is generally held at an angle to prevent that happening…same can’t be said for a pillar drill as you need both hands to engage the chucks separate collars that need gripping and rotating in opposite directions along with your third hand to stop the drill bit from falling out of the chuck whilst you’re trying to grip or release it from the chuck..
My pillar drill had a keyless chuck from day one, and I’ve never had a problem. There is enough drag on the chuck to tighten it far enough to hold the bit, then 2 hands to hold the rear collar and finally tighten.

Back