Pedestal Drill - replacement Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchad

Reaction score
Hi,

Came across this forum when Googling the above. I've got a Ferm bench mounted pedestal drill which I bought 15 years ago and it's given me good service. Recently though the chuck doesn't seem to hold the drills very well and they slip quite often when under a bit of load. As I said I came across this Forum when looking for recommendations for a replacement chuck and came across a very old post on here where someone was looking for a replacement chuck for a Ferm and it had recommended to get a chuckless one from Chronos (a company I've had quite a few dealings with .

I was just a bit worried about changing to keyless as - perhaps mistakenly - I think that a key gives a bit more tightening??. However Chronos only seem to do keyless for the Ferm (it's a B1 mount apparently).

So question - am I being over cautious, and are there any keyed chuck available for a B16 mount?

Thanks

Alan C

Keyless are often / usually self tightening - so if anything, they may grip tighter than a keyed chuck.
I've occasionally had to use a strap wrench before now to release a keyless chuck that tightened in use to considerably more than I applied when I put the bit in.
We are talking 17 - 20mm holes in steel though, this isn't a day to day issue.

Hi Alan,
I think the key ( :unsure:) to buying a keyless chuck, is choosing a known quality brand.
All my various chucks are keyless and work fine. I would never go back.
ATB,
Daniel

Others may not agree but I don't like a keyless chuck in a pillar drill. you need two hands to tighten the chuck and another to hold the drill in place. I would try and find a keyed chuck.

Hi,
I gave up on keyless chucks as I had several instances when the bit slipped on the chuck when drilling hard materials. Tightening the chuck "just a bit more" most often was no cure, and moreover the shank of the bit would become scored by the chuck jaws.

Some years ago I bought a keyed chuck with B16 cone from Llambrich in Spain. Accurate enough and has worked well so far. They do have an on-line catalogue. I guess there must be severall other manufacturers around.

Hi,

So question - am I being over cautious, and are there any keyed chuck available for a B16 mount?

Thanks

Alan C

Hi Alan. In the UK RDG tools do a couple of B16 keyed chucks - I think Axminster Tools do them also.
My own experience is that keyless chucks can be fine - I have a Rohm in my lathe tailstock which has never slipped or bound up even drilling steel to 18mm. But it was pricey! I use keyed chucks on my drill presses though - maybe I lose a second or two changing bits, but that doesn't worry me overmuch!
Bob

Latest posts

Back