Saw files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isn't obvious phil, alf wanted to buy broken saw files to excuse
not sharpening the saws :lol: :twisted:

seriously alf that is a pita, not least cause you are right the
files obviously had an old visible problem, and should not
have been sent to a customer. :cry:

paul :wink:

To be fair you really can't see anything from the outside until you know where to look, and even then...

Phil, I haven't a clue which saw it was I had in mind to sharpen originally, but there's one for Martin that will benefit. :D

Cheers, Alf

I still have that wee pile of rust that needs sharpening, and now theres a bloody great Disston rip sitting on top of the pile as well. Looked at axminsters files, none seemed to fit the bill - Hurrah for Mr Hancock. Shame they break. Having said that Mike Hancock's concept of customer service is exemplary IMHO.
Cheers Mike

mr":2qhl2r1u said:
I still have that wee pile of rust that needs sharpening, and now theres a bloody great Disston rip sitting on top of the pile as well. Looked at axminsters files, none seemed to fit the bill - Hurrah for Mr Hancock. Shame they break. Having said that Mike Hancock's concept of customer service is exemplary IMHO.
Cheers Mike
That and the fact these are Grobet I believe? Never seen one pre-broken before and cannot remember the last time I ever broke a saw file when filing teeth.

A true fluke.

Take care, Mike

No, they're Nicholson. I was a bit disappointed about that actually, 'cos the Nicholson I had before didn't last nearly as long as the Bahcos. :?

Cheers, Alf

I would reckon there was nothing wrong with the file (hope not because I bought some Nicholsons recently :shock: ), but somewhere along the line between it being made and you receiving it, someone had dropped it on a hard surface and caused it to fracture.

Paul

I think it unlikely the crack was introduced after manufacture. Almost certainly a stress crack formed when quenched during hardening -nucleating from a large dislocation or flaw in the cystalline microstructure of the steel. Just bad luck but every manufacturing process has a failure rate even if only a teeny weeny part of a percent.

Ike

Alf":1orzlo9e said:
No, they're Nicholson. I was a bit disappointed about that actually, 'cos the Nicholson I had before didn't last nearly as long as the Bahcos. :?

Cheers, Alf
Interesting seeing how LN sells Grobet...And I thought Mike was getting them from LN? Still, tis a better price point.

fwiw, the issues to me between the brands is the gullet size, the coarsness of cut and longevity, in that order of importance. But then I look at saw files much like one looks at sandpaper--a consumable.

Take care, Mike

Well I thought he was getting them from LN too, but maybe when they didn't turn up in the parcel he had to source some in a hurry from elsewhere?

And let me tell you, when it takes two or three centuries to get hold of a saw file, longevity becomes very important indeed... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1y371rro said:
...And let me tell you, when it takes two or three centuries to get hold of a saw file, longevity becomes very important indeed... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf
I bet! And I have a question.

Is it cost effective to order direct from the US? Seems like with the exchange difference it would be beneficial as long as the declaration amount was under a certain amount and the package wasn't insured.

I'll send you a couple Grobet and Bahco saw files, in partcular some smaller ones. That way if you like them better and it is a cost effective way to buy them, it is less risk ordering an unknown. That is, assuming Mike doesn't eventually get the Grobet in.

Take care, Mike

I live 10 minutes from the Swiss border and I keep thinking I really ought to be able to just wander into a shop and grab a slack handful of as many Grobet files as I'd like! Vallorbe is only up the road for Pete's sake! :-k

You wouldn't happen to have any Grobet codes off the packets would you Mike? The tool shop I occasionally use has a rack of Grobets but nothing as small as you might need for a dovetail saw and I'm sure he'd think I was loopy if I started dribbling on about double extra slim limes! He always looks at me like I might be anyway!

MikeW":1rrdbilb said:
Is it cost effective to order direct from the US? Seems like with the exchange difference it would be beneficial as long as the declaration amount was under a certain amount and the package wasn't insured.
It probably is, but buying direct from North America is like bidding on Ebay as far as I'm concerned. Once I get the idea I fear for the consequences... 8-[ Anyway, it's crazy - Switzerland's only over there :arrow: , dozens of places in the UK sell the perishing saws that need that size of file, Grobet and Bahco files in other configurations are stocked over here by loads of places, it's really not that unreasonable to expect to be able to buy XX slim saw files over here too! ](*,) Anyway, it's personal now. :evil:

MikeW":1rrdbilb said:
I'll send you a couple Grobet and Bahco saw files, in partcular some smaller ones. That way if you like them better and it is a cost effective way to buy them, it is less risk ordering an unknown. That is, assuming Mike doesn't eventually get the Grobet in.
That's a generous offer, Mike, and much appreciated. I'll keep the faith with t'other Mike for a while if I can though - unless he, not unreasonably, says it's more hassel than it's worth. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Scott":2di251l9 said:
I live 10 minutes from the Swiss border and I keep thinking I really ought to be able to just wander into a shop and grab a slack handful of as many Grobet files as I'd like! Vallorbe is only up the road for Pete's sake! :-k

At the risk of starting something ...

Is there scope for a UKW group buy here?

BugBear

bugbear":35vryh5q said:
Scott":35vryh5q said:

At the risk of starting something ...

Is there scope for a UKW group buy here?

BugBear

Only if I know what I'm looking for and I can find somewhere to buy/order it!

Flippant answers aside, if someone can tell me the physical size and the "cut" or no of teeth/cm I can identify them in the catalogue and try to get some in Geneva

Scott":1hlaie0k said:
Flippant answers aside, if someone can tell me the physical size and the "cut" or no of teeth/cm I can identify them in the catalogue and try to get some in Geneva

OK. Cross reference time:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1351#

http://grobetusa.com/Products/tapersawsinglecut.html

(LN description - Grobet number)
4 inch Double extra-slim taper - 32.450S
5 inch Double extra-slim taper - 32.451S
6 inch Double extra-slim taper - 32.452S
6 inch Extra-slim taper - 32.447S
6 inch Slim taper - 32.440S
7 inch Slim taper - 32.441S
7 inch Regular taper - 32.434S

BugBear (who cannot face the HTML for a table)

Thanks BB. I've been looking at the "Catalogue limes de précision" in this catalogue but I should have enough info now to cross ref and see what's available.

I'm at sea at the moment though so it'll need to wait a few weeks I'm afraid

Cheers

Hmm... I see three-square files in regular, narrow and extra narrow but nothing extra extra narrow... :-k I'm assuming that by three square in this case they do actually mean saw files, but maybe I assume too much?

Perplexed, Alf

Alf":3lfea61j said:
k I'm assuming that by three square in this case they do actually mean saw files, but maybe I assume too much?

I hope they don't cos that would up my confusion levels. My understanding was that three square files were specifically NOT suitable as saw files - but then what do I know.
:lol:

Mike

Latest posts

Back