Saw files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bb, with saws like that i can see that you feel that there is no need
but i was not long ago at an exhibition, and a guy had one of the
ott lights, in the hall. i was surprised at the difference it made.

not had the courage to spring for one, but will use my mag glass with
daylight bulb on the new computer desk, and see what that does for me.

in years past my dad always used to specify cool white flouro tubes
rather than the others, and you can tell the difference.

i think what everybody agrees is that here in the uk we tend to have
too little overall light, and almost no task lighting so anything is an
improvement. kind of like not putting your lights on in the car until
it is REALLY dark to save the magdyno. :lol: :lol:

paul :wink:

engineer one":pq6yfivo said:
bb, with saws like that i can see that you feel that there is no need
but i was not long ago at an exhibition, and a guy had one of the
ott lights, in the hall. i was surprised at the difference it made.

But was it simple "intensity" or the "colour" that made the difference?

That's the question at the heart of this.

BugBear

how about this for a definition "clearer" i know that many people
find reading easier because the words seem to jump out
from the page.

not sure whether that is a lux definition or something else,
but as we say elsewhere here, whatever rocks your boat.

I use blue daylight bulbs in all the main light fitttings and lamps in my workshop (shed). It makes the place seem less like "indoors" when working in the dark winter days. Helps avoid the "SAD". I bought them originally when I did watercolour painting in there for the true colours and there's no point in having special lights for wood finishing and yellowy ones for the rest of the time. When is one NOT finishing wood?. Most places do them now including Sainsbugs.
Didn't help much with the saw sharpening though. Still, R&L did fit a new blade for me after my attempts at recutting what started out as a nice saw. (don't ask. there's already a thread in here somewhere)

Just to stray back on topic for a moment (and yes, the fact I'm used to copious amounts of natural light when I sharpen saws is starting to worry me with regard to Philly's hovel...) and... Where was I? Oh yeah, Mike Hancock at Classic Handtools tells me files various are en route even as we speak, but
I am so under the cosh with trying to finish my catalogue price list that I haven't yet got time to quote prices - anyway it will be US equiavlent plus VAT and the usual 10% levy for getting across the pond.
So feel free to try and work that out. :) Oh, and marking knives from Blue Spruce, as offered for our drooling pleasure by Chris here should be in this week too. Not sure if I was supposed to tell you that bit, but I daresay Mike won't begrudge early interest... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

bugbear":1d9iug7w said:
But was it simple "intensity" or the "colour" that made the difference?

That's the question at the heart of this.

I think the colour does make a difference and I think that is down primarily to contrast. Thinking back to my photographic days when people were forever going on about lenses, films and developers and which ones produced "sharper" results, it was often the contrast that determined what people perceived as the "sharper" result. I can't give any scientific explanation, but in my view the more yellow the light the lower the contrast will be and for that reason a white or blueish light will generally be preferable when you want to do detailed work :wink:

Paul

Alf
Fear not, the bench is in front of a 1.8m wide window, south facing. And two angle-poise lamps for detail lighting. You'll need to find another excuse :wink: :lol:
Blue Spruce marking knives? Saw them on the site. Must be strong.....must make my own........must be strong......
Philly :D

Philly":xf4t78vo said:
Blue Spruce marking knives? Saw them on the site. Must be strong.....must make my own........must be strong......
I was at Dave's shop yesterday...ordered one of these in 1/4":

setofchiselscocobolo.jpg

:wink: :lol:

Philly":bjeijuhz said:
Alf
Fear not, the bench is in front of a 1.8m wide window, south facing. And two angle-poise lamps for detail lighting. You'll need to find another excuse :wink: :lol:
South facing? Oh I'm terribly sorry; I only work in a North light... [-( :lol: Finally got some accomodation booked last night, so that excuse is gone too. #-o

Mike, you're in a bit of a tool-buying frenzy just now, aren't you? Makes you-know-what a bit tricky when everywhere I look you've just ordered something I'd thought "ah ha" :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Paul Chapman":1ofdyntk said:
Very nice, Mike Are you buying them one at a time so that you get four gloats
Nah. More or less have enough chisels :roll:
But the square portion of the saw bolts is roughly 1/4" and the chisels I have currently in that size tend to roll the edges after a few handles. Dave's are harder, and with the tapered face I figured they wouldn't bind as easy. It's an efficiency thing :wink:

If Dave's chisel works like I think it will, I'll get the boys each one.
Alf":1ofdyntk said:
...Mike, you're in a bit of a tool-buying frenzy just now, aren't you? Makes you-know-what a bit tricky when everywhere I look you've just ordered something I'd thought "ah ha" :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

• Snooping on the 'Bay, eh? :lol:

I promise. No more purchases. For a while. Well, except some pieces-parts for some machinery Dave gave me the ideas for. Probably <g>...

Yeah, went a little nuts on a couple items. The Fray braces were a replacement, as were the bits. The rest? Like the Disston No. 9? Well, having only held a couple and seeing how I do make them...I figured it was business research...

But...now no spending "real" money.

Take care, Mike

MikeW":2g7cqtnx said:
It's an efficiency thing :wink:
Yeah, I've heard it all now :wink: :lol:
Nice to see gloats on tools you HAVEN'T made :lol:
Cheers
Who's been known for the odd gloat or two

Philly":16l2lnc0 said:
MikeW":16l2lnc0 said:
It's an efficiency thing :wink:
Yeah, I've heard it all now :wink: :lol:
Nice to see gloats on tools you HAVEN'T made :lol:
Cheers
Who's been known for the odd gloat or two
The odd gloat? Oh, Philly, such a master of understatement :lol:

For me, here's my best gloat for sometime.

disston_3975.jpg

A Disston No. 9. I don't see them come up very often and usually go for more than I paid. Super comfy to use. This one the smallest size No. 9 Disston made at a 10" blade.

The Fray braces come in as my next best gloat. Since mine walked away in 1989 or so, I have not had good luck replacing them. Still have a few sizes to go before I'm back to square one with them. And the bitstock...I use to have a good-sized box full. Down to a few rolls now. I had forgot how great spoon bits are, using augers for nearly everything. As well, center bits. Great things.

Still got a ways to go.

Well, back to worky. Take care, Mike
who's glad there'll be a web cam...

MikeW":2bx2v2ky said:
Mike
who's glad there'll be a web cam...

I'm sure, Mike, that if you let Philly know what time you will be watching, he'll arrange a "Group Gloat" to camera, just for you 8) :lol:

Paul

That is indeed a nice one, Mike. Business research, huh? Mmm, Grade A excuse, er, reason, that one. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Wondering about some web cam sabotage... :-k

Paul Chapman":25qo2l9j said:
he'll arrange a "Group Gloat" to camera, just for you
I need to figure out what that means as regards my beauty sleep :lol:
Alf":25qo2l9j said:
That is indeed a nice one, Mike. Business research, huh? Mmm, Grade A excuse, er, reason, that one. :lol:

Cheers, Alf
Thanks, Alf. Yep, business. :wink: No, really...

Dina's reaction when I showed it to her? "That's cute" and "I want one..."
Gotta love her! So it's been added to the growing list of saws she wants me to make her. :lol:
Wondering about some web cam sabotage... :-k
Now now...How would that be? Guest Galooteri messing with the host equipment? :shock:

And besides. It's not the camera that Philly told you about...it's the multiple ones he didn't tell you about that should concern y'all :lol:

Take care, Mike

Alf":25qr135k said:

(snip)

Yeah - Mike'd be in far greater danger from the the auctions though... one could do some real damage there..... :roll:

Cheers -

Rob

oh i don't know rob, am sure a trip round one of your experimental shops
would have us all dropping rapidly off the slope :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Back