Safe workshop heater?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d definitely consider one of these diesel all in one type heaters - as long as ghe exhaust is vented to outside well away from any doors windows or other openings it will blow warm air. Similar to an electric fan heater it will not maintain the temp once turned off but cheap to run and not too noisy . As with any fossil fuel they can produce carbon monoxide if installed incorrectly so fit a c/o alarm at high level away from air vents doors and openable windows/ vents ..

My workshop is poorly insulated but as it is rented I can't do much about it. It gets quite cold and as low down as 2c. I am looking to get a heater in to bring the temperature up when applying finish or glue but I wanted to make sure I got one that was safe and wasn't going to be a fire hazard.

I had looked at the De'Longhi Bend Line 2kW Oscilating Tower Ceramic Heater as it is meant to have good put out and not cost the earth to run. I just wanted to check if it was safe or if anyone had an alternative?

Plus 1 for diesel heater cheap to buy/run my garage is 3x8mx2.5 high runs high for 10mins then drops to tick-over I’ve seen on u tube where guy sends exhaust through rad filled with sand.after turning off heater the rad keeps kicking out heat

I don't know how big your shop is but is there nothing you can do to improve the heat retention. I have made a significant improvement to my small workshop just excluding drafts, insulating the doors and putting a bit of rock wool over an obscured window behind some cardboard. Almost nothing spent and it could all be removed in minutes if necessary. I own my workshop but you could possibly do similar, it's worth talking to your landlord, if you as a tenant want to make cheep, reversible improvements he might be very please, in similar situations as a landlord with tenants I trust I have paid for materials where tenants have provided the labor to our mutual advantage, in one instance I paid a tenant to do work improving the house he was renting from me, he did an excellent job, I paid a very reasonable price we were both very happy with the outcome, that family moved out 12 years later when they inherited money and bought their own home. Think it through make a suggestion see what happens.

I've just invested in a waste oil heater, not being delivered until next week but heard good things about them.
I've heating a 17m x 6m barn that probably has a ceiling height of up to 6m.

How do you find this for painting or finishing in a cold workshop?

To be honest I haven't really tried it much when painting or finishing, if it's really cold I paint stuff in the house! I have used it during glue ups but when it's cold I always use PU glue which doesn't mind lower temperatures.

Up until last year, I didn't bother about the cold in the workshop. I would just layer up and occasionally wear a heated gillet. Last year I got ill, had an operation and six months of brutal chemo (just had my second all-clear). This made me ill if the temperature went below 10C. So, I bought the Hcalory portable diesel heater. Originally I set it up outside so it only blew heated fresh air into the room. It's set up inside now and it's much more efficient now it recirculates heated air. I was hoping that now my treatment has finished I wouldn't need the heater. But although I don't get ill when cold, I am still feeling it more than I would have pre-C. So, I've been running it mainly on some free-supplied Kerosene which I understand, burns slightly hotter than diesel. But that free supply dried up and I'll be looking to buy it but need to find a supplier that will sell it in small quantities of 50ltrs or so since I only use around 5-7 litres a week. The last price I saw it at was 98p a litre as opposed to around £1.60 for diesel. So I'm running it on some diesel I had stored. I'm away for a while so I'll sort out a supply when I return. My tandem garage workshop is 12m x 2.8m and I set it for 15C which it can normally get to when it's above freezing outside. The last couple of days it's been around -2C for most of the day and the heater got the temperature up to 11.5C. It is located next to the lathe with a few 3D-printed mods to keep the large chips out and it keeps me toasty in that area of the garage. In the warmer months, I can disconnect it from the exhaust pipe and store it. As for PVA glue-ups, I still may have to bring them into the house to set. Same with painted items. Resin casting is a non-starter.

Up until last year, I didn't bother about the cold in the workshop. I would just layer up and occasionally wear a heated gillet. Last year I got ill, had an operation and six months of brutal chemo (just had my second all-clear). This made me ill if the temperature went below 10C. So, I bought the Hcalory portable diesel heater. Originally I set it up outside so it only blew heated fresh air into the room. It's set up inside now and it's much more efficient now it recirculates heated air. I was hoping that now my treatment has finished I wouldn't need the heater. But although I don't get ill when cold, I am still feeling it more than I would have pre-C. So, I've been running it mainly on some free-supplied Kerosene which I understand, burns slightly hotter than diesel. But that free supply dried up and I'll be looking to buy it but need to find a supplier that will sell it in small quantities of 50ltrs or so since I only use around 5-7 litres a week. The last price I saw it at was 98p a litre as opposed to around £1.60 for diesel. So I'm running it on some diesel I had stored. I'm away for a while so I'll sort out a supply when I return. My tandem garage workshop is 12m x 2.8m and I set it for 15C which it can normally get to when it's above freezing outside. The last couple of days it's been around -2C for most of the day and the heater got the temperature up to 11.5C. It is located next to the lathe with a few 3D-printed mods to keep the large chips out and it keeps me toasty in that area of the garage. In the warmer months, I can disconnect it from the exhaust pipe and store it. As for PVA glue-ups, I still may have to bring them into the house to set. Same with painted items. Resin casting is a non-starter.
When you say 'Diesel', do you mean 'DERV', or are you buying 'Red Diesel', which is free of the Tax that 'DERV' attracts. It might be that a local-to-you farmer, or fisherman, might be able to help you, as they would be more current on the Law, and might sell you some Red diesel for heating.

When you say 'Diesel', do you mean 'DERV', or are you buying 'Red Diesel', which is free of the Tax that 'DERV' attracts. It might be that a local-to-you farmer, or fisherman, might be able to help you, as they would be more current on the Law, and might sell you some Red diesel for heating.
DERV. But, I should have added that Red Diesel is also a cheaper option than DERV and although it's easier to get around here (farms and narrow boat area) it looks like Red Diesel might be my only viable option in the small quantities I need.

DERV. But, I should have added that Red Diesel is also a cheaper option than DERV and although it's easier to get around here (farms and narrow boat area) it looks like Red Diesel might be my only viable option in the small quantities I need.
It's a shame you're so far away, our oil boiler broke down and is going to be replaced with Gas, I still have 4K litres of heating oil in the tank.

It's a shame you're so far away, our oil boiler broke down and is going to be replaced with Gas, I still have 4K litres of heating oil in the tank.
WOW! 4000. That would have set me up for years. My mom's side is from your way. I should maybe find an excuse to visit my aunt and maybe put my two Jerrycans in the back. Haha.

. The last price I saw it at was 98p a litre as opposed to around £1.60 for diesel.
In this locality, you can buy kerosene in 20l jars for around £25.

But if you have a jar you can take it to some petrol stations and fill it for less.

I buy 7-800 l at a time for the house and if it's cold enough I use some of it in the Chinese heater

Last I bought was 77p but I think it's cheaper now.

WOW! 4000. That would have set me up for years. My mom's side is from your way. I should maybe find an excuse to visit my aunt and maybe put my two Jerrycans in the back. Haha.
Let me know, you'd need a long syphon tube as the tank can hold 12.5K litres and we would have to wait until the weekend when nobody is in school, it will likely be months before we get funding for the replacement works.

Let me know if you do and bring a long syphon, I'm not sure there's a drain on the tank

Oil filled radiator for me. It also has a frost guard setting on it so very useful. When I get in the workshop I wind it up to 17 degrees and that’s pretty comfortable when using hand tools.

Back