Safe workshop heater?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Erbauer BGP2108-5 free standing fan heater from Screwfix, should I require heat in my 'bat-cave', but this time of year I spend as little time as possible in there. I did go out there on a sunny day last week to use my bandsaw, and the table 'weren't arf cold on bare arms!!!!' :eek:

I have an Erbauer BGP2108-5 free standing fan heater from Screwfix, should I require heat in my 'bat-cave', but this time of year I spend as little time as possible in there. I did go out there on a sunny day last week to use my bandsaw, and the table 'weren't arf cold on bare arms!!!!' :eek:
First I misread it, and wondered why you sat your bare pineapple on the bandsaw table 😂😂😂

What is the running costs like with these.

Clive,
energy cap is c. 27p / kwh
so 54p p/h for a 2kw heater - run it for 8 hours and it will cost £4.32 - 24hrs = £12.96 / a month at 30 days = £388.80 a year non stop = £4730.40
but of course it doesn’t run flat out all the time - but not cheap to run for more than a few hours… it is what I use, but am looking also for other solutions…

Talking of running costs, I watched a Pathe 'Look at Life' (1964) on TPTV on the cost of running a car:- £100 for 1 year's petrol! Last time I filled a tank, 2 yrs ago, cost me £80. Oh for a time machine!

Unbelievably my oil filled radiator failed yesterday. It’s been powered on in my workshop for years now, using the thermostat to provide frost protection and winding it up when I’m in there in the winter. I went to crank it up yesterday evening and the display was just flickering. I might see if I can bypass the inbuilt thermostat and connect it up with an external temperature control.

I just made this for burning sawdust and bits and pieces, from a gas cylinder. Learned how to use a DC stick wealder in the procsses.they are cheap to buy and very small. I am going to slice the top off next year and fit a removable flat top and also a grill for BBQ But I also have a chinese heater and use red diesel from my local garage.

Attachments

• DSC_2804.JPG
    DSC_2804.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2803.JPG
    DSC_2803.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I just made this for burning sawdust and bits and pieces, from a gas cylinder. Learned how to use a DC stick wealder in the procsses.they are cheap to buy and very small. I am going to slice the top off next year and fit a removable flat top and also a grill for BBQ But I also have a chinese heater and use red diesel from my local garage.
I like this idea but how do ensure that there is no trace of gas in the cylinder before cutting into it? Is there any risk of explosion?

I like this idea but how do ensure that there is no trace of gas in the cylinder before cutting into it? Is there any risk of explosion?
You fill it full of water, There are loads of videos on youtube on how to make them and what to do to make them safe. And a DC stick wealder they are really small and light weight and cheap chinese ones about £55 upwards, Mine is made in Germany

I copied this one but with out the food steamer lid in the door.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOTAMnMXu4

I'm very interested in a diesel heater for my 7x3.5m shed. I've read around them for months but will still not commit, reading this post has rekindled it for me.

Could someone answer some basic question for me please.....
1. My thinking is to mount one externally and so both intake and exhaust would be outside any working, indoor space.....as the intake air would be cold (and so not be warmer pre-circulated air if the device was internal) does the efficiency of the heater then drop significantly?
2. I've seen/read posts about people insulating the exhaust (where they've fitted them internally) but surely this then stops the room from benefitting from the heat radiating from the waste exhaust gases? Isn't that a trick missed?

Thanks

I'm very interested in a diesel heater for my 7x3.5m shed. I've read around them for months but will still not commit, reading this post has rekindled it for me.
My experience with a 5kw diesel heater is that it will make a difference in your 7 by 3.5 shed. The better insulated it is the bigger benefit you will gain.
Could someone answer some basic question for me please.....
1. My thinking is to mount one externally and so both intake and exhaust would be outside any working, indoor space.....as the intake air would be cold (and so not be warmer pre-circulated air if the device was internal) does the efficiency of the heater then drop significantly?
I would be in favour of taking the supply air from inside. Why not?
There could be anything from zero to 20 or more degrees difference from inside to outside.
Could be hard to make up.
2. I've seen/read posts about people insulating the exhaust (where they've fitted them internally) but surely this then stops the room from benefitting from the heat radiating from the waste exhaust gases? Isn't that a trick missed?

Thanks
I've not seen anyone insulating the exhaust, I've seen them heating water with it, or heating sand in a bucket, even putting it through a radiator to squeeze every calorie out of it.
Mine is exposed for 3-4 ft to let the heat into the room and then exits through the wall.

What sort of battery should I be looking for to start a diesel air heater for a workshop? Should it be high AmpHours (around 95 to 100+) and heavy duty? I already have a charger for one. Any advice would be appreciated.

My experience with a 5kw diesel heater is that it will make a difference in your 7 by 3.5 shed. The better insulated it is the bigger benefit you will gain.

I would be in favour of taking the supply air from inside. Why not?
There could be anything from zero to 20 or more degrees difference from inside to outside.
Could be hard to make up.

I've not seen anyone insulating the exhaust, I've seen them heating water with it, or heating sand in a bucket, even putting it through a radiator to squeeze every calorie out of it.
Mine is exposed for 3-4 ft to let the heat into the room and then exits through the wall.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll take the plunge and treat it as an Xmas present to myself. My shed has very nominal insulation and the thought of emptying it to update it makes me shudder 🙂.

I like the idea of heating sand.

I also like the idea of using a rad but wouldn't there be a risk of inadvertently trapping some exhaust gases internally?

Unbelievably my oil filled radiator failed yesterday. It’s been powered on in my workshop for years now, using the thermostat to provide frost protection and winding it up when I’m in there in the winter. I went to crank it up yesterday evening and the display was just flickering. I might see if I can bypass the inbuilt thermostat and connect it up with an external temperature control.
The controller board was toast so I bought a Meross thermostat power switch. I removed the broken board and with a bit of trimming got the Meross to fit in its place. I know have a thermostat control with HomeHub connectivity for my workshop heater. It also has a frost guard and power usage monitor. I can also see the temperature my workshop is from my phone.
I can now warm the workshop up before I go there of just ask Siri to turn it on or off or set a new temperature. I also have it added to our “good night” scene so it get turned off if I forget.
I’m actually glad it broke as I have a very nice solution now 😀

I have a heavy duty one bought from scrap yard £20 connect trickle charger to it. Also did away with little tank supplied and fitted tank connector to 25kg drum of kerosene
Paul

I think the exhaust pipe runs through the rad at bottom then block up holes then fill with sand the exhaust pipe heats up sand then when heater turned off the rad keeps warm
Paul

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll take the plunge and treat it as an Xmas present to myself. My shed has very nominal insulation and the thought of emptying it to update it makes me shudder 🙂.
I think you'll be fine, my "shap" is almost twice the size of yours and it helps, but don't expect too much, you won't be working in your shirt sleeves if it's zero outside.
I like the idea of heating sand.

I also like the idea of using a rad but wouldn't there be a risk of inadvertently trapping some exhaust gases internally?
They are finely balanced units. I put a longer exhaust on mine and it doesn't start up so sweet.
Unless you have a load of spare time I'd be happy with just running it.

Wringing a few extra pennies if heat out of it could cost pounds in man hours.

I think I'll take the plunge and treat it as an Xmas present to myself. My shed has very nominal insulation and the thought of emptying it to update it makes me shudder 🙂.
Go for it, you won't regret it.
My diesel space heater allows me to work in a 20' x 8' concrete sectional garage with no insulation & no draught proofing.
Although I have a wood burning stove the diesel heater allows me to be comfortable doing those jobs which only take 30 minutes or perhaps an hour without the need to light the stove.

Back